How important is The Buddha to Buddhism?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Ceisiwr

Re: How important is The Buddha to Buddhism?

Post by Ceisiwr »

Actually they wouldn't EXIST without these people.

Wouldnt special relativity "exist" without Einstein

Just like there is Dhamma without a Buddha
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

clw_uk wrote: Just like there is Dhamma without a Buddha
But it takes a Buddha to (re)discover it. So without the Buddha, there can be no Sasana, no teaching, and no enlightenment save for a handful of private Buddhas.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Wizard in the Forest

Post by Wizard in the Forest »

clw_uk wrote:
Actually they wouldn't EXIST without these people.

Wouldnt special relativity "exist" without Einstein?

Just like there is Dhamma without a Buddha
Not really, let's put it this way. Do you think that the disembodied voice of Einstein existed having no matter, no energy, existed preceding the beginning of the Earth, before the beginning of the sun and the stars were formed, before the primal generation of anything, and these laws were sitting there in the middle of nowhere billions of years ago before he was even born and that magically he discovered those words? They were always there, even when they applied to nothing? Gradually the world came into being and then those words and axioms applied to it? That in fact, those words themselves applied to it? Those words themselves are what formed the world? NONSENSE. Logic exists in the mind, numbers exist in the mind, words exist in the mind, and our minds only exist as a result of ignorance, conditioned by ignorance. Without Buddha having unconditioned this ignorance then he too was ignorant. Without the Buddha there is no Dharma at all, in the same way if Einstein didn't exist, special relativity wouldn't exist either.
:D
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Without the Buddha there is no Dharma at all, in the same way if Einstein didn't exist, special relativity wouldn't exist either.

The Dhamma, or way it is, exists. The Buddha was one who awakened to it, he didnt create it

The Buddha taught that these truths exist even if there is no one who knows them

Special relativity describes a process of nature (from what I understand). Einstein didnt create "it", he just worked it out

Likewise gravity exists even if there is no one living to observe and work it out
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

But it takes a Buddha to (re)discover it. So without the Buddha, there can be no Sasana, no teaching, and no enlightenment save for a handful of private Buddhas.

Well for me it doesnt matter if it is one person or several, the teachings work thats all that matters

Personally I would say that there was one man who formulated what we have, however if it was somehow proved that this wasnt the case it wouldnt change my practice at all
Wizard in the Forest

clw_uk wrote:The Dhamma, or way it is, exists. The Buddha was one who awakened to it, he didnt create it
So how does it "exist"? It has no form, no perception, no sensation, it has no consciousness, it has no emotion. It has all marks of non-existence. If you want to say "the Dharma exists without self" you're admitting that the Dharma's "existence" depends on someone's ability to discover it. It depends on A Buddha. Such a condition is inescapable.
The Buddha taught that these truths exist even if there is no one who knows them
And how then do they exist, if no one knows them?
Special relativity describes a process of nature (from what I understand). Einstein didnt create "it", he just worked it out
Worked it out? Not at all, he created it to describe what he observed.
Likewise gravity exists even if there is no one living to observe and work it out
We don't know that. We don't even know what gravity is! Physicists have been baffled by gravity so that they had to fall onto different theories about it. Special Relativity, Newtonian Physics, General Relativity, Quantum loop, Quantum Gravity, etc. We don't know what gravity is!
Individual

Post by Individual »

Gautama did not teach either Buddha or Buddhism. Gautama taught bodhi.

Buddha is a form of atta (self) and Buddhism is papanca (conceptual proliferation). Words like Buddha and Buddhism are conventional expressions. In reality, there are no Buddhas because there is no self, and Buddhism itself is a hindrance, because it arises from sankharas and all sankharas are impermanent.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Individual wrote:Gautama did not teach either Buddha or Buddhism. Gautama taught bodhi.

Buddha is a form of atta (self) and Buddhism is papanca (conceptual proliferation). Words like Buddha and Buddhism are conventional expressions. In reality, there are no Buddhas because there is no self, and Buddhism itself is a hindrance, because it arises from sankharas and all sankharas are impermanent.
Said he, spouting confused conceptual poliferation.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
KonstantKarma

Post by KonstantKarma »

Spiny O'Norman wrote:
Viscid wrote:Is the Buddha required, or is the Dhamma and Sangha sufficient?
While I take refuge in all three jewels, I think for me the Dhamma is of primary significance when it comes to daily practice. But the Dhamma must have come from somewhere, and my assumption is that it was the historical Buddha.

Spiny
:goodpost:

People get very attached to the window that shows the view outside, when in reality, it's the view outside that matters. Any window will do.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

tiltbillings wrote:
Individual wrote:Gautama did not teach either Buddha or Buddhism. Gautama taught bodhi.

I must confess I'm finding this thread (and its title) pretty confusing in general! :rolleye:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Aloka wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:

I must confess I'm finding this thread (and its title) pretty confusing in general! :rolleye:
Doesn't help when we get this bloated supposedly profound Dhamma speak.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Anicca

Post by Anicca »

Viscid wrote:How important is The Buddha to Buddhism?
He is the namesake - I'd say pretty important.
Viscid wrote:To what degree is belief in the historical existence of The Buddha necessary?
To quote the Buddha regarding the existence (historical or otherwise) of the Buddha:
... you can't pin down the Tathagata as a truth or reality ...
SN 22.86 Anuradha Sutta:

Utilising the teachings for an understanding, a skillful practice and an application in daily life (each moment if you will) is the only requirement for me.

metta
KonstantKarma

Post by KonstantKarma »

Thanks Anicca - I do have a hard time seeing the Buddha standing on a platform shouting "Me! Me! Look at me! Adore me! Me me me!"

As long as there are buddhas and buddhists and the like who achieve results from the dhamma the exact identity of the teacher of the teachings is not all that necessary. Interesting and helpful of course but it's like a recipe... I don't know who figured out mixing flour with eggs and milk could make a cake - no idea whatsoever! - but I reap the benefits of good cake.
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

tiltbillings wrote:

Goodness it makes for good patience training.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Wizard in the Forest

The point is that without the Buddha's teachings the "Dharma" as in Buddha's teachings are gone from this world, and will have to be rediscovered by another Buddha, ad infinitum. If we don't have a Buddha we'll have to either discover the path by ourselves with no existing example and die before being able to teach it(Pratyekabuddha), or we would be able to teach it (Samyaksambuddha). We have the Dharma available, and so we can become disciples of the Buddha, and become Arahant. For that we are lucky.