Sanna Sutta

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Sanna Sutta

Postby chownah » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:53 pm

in the Sanna Sutta it says, "When a monk's awareness often remains steeped in the perception of the unattractive, his mind shrinks away from the completion of the sexual act, "

I'm curious about the "completion of the sexual act"....I guess it means orgasm....I've never heard of such an explicit reference to a sex act in the suttas...it seems strange to me to read it there.....also, for those who are looking for humor in the Buddha's teachings surely a mind is not the only thing that might shrink away from etc......

Comments from Pali scholars about this terminology appreciated.

chownah
chownah

Re: Sanna Sutta

Postby seniya » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:43 pm

chownah wrote:in the Sanna Sutta it says, "When a monk's awareness often remains steeped in the perception of the unattractive, his mind shrinks away from the completion of the sexual act, "

I'm curious about the "completion of the sexual act"....I guess it means orgasm....I've never heard of such an explicit reference to a sex act in the suttas...it seems strange to me to read it there.....also, for those who are looking for humor in the Buddha's teachings surely a mind is not the only thing that might shrink away from etc......

Comments from Pali scholars about this terminology appreciated.

chownah

I'm neither a Pali scholar nor having knowledge of Pali, but I think "completion of the sexual act" here doesn't refer to orgasm, but simply "the completeness of making of sexual act" (i.e, that the sexual act has been completely done). You can compare the above translation (from Thanissaro, I guess) with the translation from sister Uppalavanna at metta.lk:

Bhikkhus, to the bhikkhu practicing the perception of loathing and abiding much in it, the sexual thought keeps away, it shrinks and rolls away. The mind stretches out and gets established in equanimity or loathing. Like a cock's feather or a tendon with nerves, put in the fire would draw back, shrink and turn away, would not stretch. In the same manner to the bhikkhu practicing the perception of loathing and abiding much in it the sexual thought keeps away, it shrinks and rolls away. The mind stretches out and gets established in equanimity or loathing.
I'm sorry if my words are not understandable and it is in impolite expression, because my native language is not English....

Mettacitena

_/\_
seniya

Re: Sanna Sutta

Postby chownah » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:22 pm

Seniya,
thanks for that.....I hope some Pali scholar sees this and explains what the Pali words mean that gave rise to these two interpretations.
chownah
chownah

Return to Open Dhamma