religious avalanche?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation
User avatar
genkaku
Posts: 416
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:14 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Location: Northampton, Mass. U.S.A.
Contact:

religious avalanche?

Postby genkaku » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:01 pm

With hard times gaining a foothold around the world, do you think we are in for an eruption of religious and quasi-religious activity? I sort of think so: As Mark Twain observed, "Religion is the best business in the world."

User avatar
Prasadachitta
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:52 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Location: San Francisco (The Mission) Ca USA
Contact:

Re: religious avalanche?

Postby Prasadachitta » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:43 pm

:spy: :jawdrop:

:popcorn:
Maybe it wont be all bad.
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332

User avatar
Jechbi
Posts: 1268
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:38 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Contact:

Re: religious avalanche?

Postby Jechbi » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:18 pm

Well, people have to do something with their time and their anxiety, I guess.
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.

laura
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:52 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Re: religious avalanche?

Postby laura » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:10 am

genkaku wrote:With hard times gaining a foothold around the world, do you think we are in for an eruption of religious and quasi-religious activity? I sort of think so: As Mark Twain observed, "Religion is the best business in the world."


Are you suggesting that the masses need opiates right now? You may just be right. At least some of it will be good medicine... I hope!

User avatar
Ngawang Drolma.
Posts: 805
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:38 pm

Re: religious avalanche?

Postby Ngawang Drolma. » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:13 am

I read something somewhere that religion has really been on the rise in the US in recent years.

Sorry to be so vague with this comment :toilet:

User avatar
genkaku
Posts: 416
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:14 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Location: Northampton, Mass. U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: religious avalanche?

Postby genkaku » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:54 am

Drolma wrote:I read something somewhere that religion has really been on the rise in the US in recent years.

Sorry to be so vague with this comment :toilet:


I agree with you Drolma ... for equally vague reasons.

But I wonder to what extent that rise -- in the recent years of great affluence -- is based on having too MUCH stuff, rather than too little ... and then realizing that stuff doesn't really make you all that happy. I believe I have read studies that after the basic needs were attained, the rest simply did not increase the happiness level.

mudra
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:33 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Re: religious avalanche?

Postby mudra » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:42 pm

genkaku wrote:But I wonder to what extent that rise -- in the recent years of great affluence -- is based on having too MUCH stuff, rather than too little ... and then realizing that stuff doesn't really make you all that happy. I believe I have read studies that after the basic needs were attained, the rest simply did not increase the happiness level.


Most of the time, once basic needs are covered, the rest probably are the cause for stress!

Like when you park your porsche outside a cafe and someone walks by and keys the paint job (fortunately this has never happened to me because, um.... I don't frequent cafes?).

User avatar
Cittasanto
Posts: 5876
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:31 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Location: Ellan Vannin
Contact:

Re: religious avalanche?

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:14 pm

genkaku wrote:With hard times gaining a foothold around the world, do you think we are in for an eruption of religious and quasi-religious activity? I sort of think so: As Mark Twain observed, "Religion is the best business in the world."



off topic to a degree but remembered this video on youtube I posted on my blog yesterday, which has some relevance to the OP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybAUM7Ko ... annel_page
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."

nathan
Posts: 692
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:11 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Re: religious avalanche?

Postby nathan » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:53 pm

mudra wrote:
genkaku wrote:But I wonder to what extent that rise -- in the recent years of great affluence -- is based on having too MUCH stuff, rather than too little ... and then realizing that stuff doesn't really make you all that happy. I believe I have read studies that after the basic needs were attained, the rest simply did not increase the happiness level.


Most of the time, once basic needs are covered, the rest probably are the cause for stress!

Like when you park your porsche outside a cafe and someone walks by and keys the paint job (fortunately this has never happened to me because, um.... I don't frequent cafes?).
As a former Porsche practitioner my observation is that the Porsche community is adequately equipped to meet any such challenges to it's sacraments and relics. I only widely noted even my comparatively hinayana porsche vehicles being taken up ignorantly as objects of worship by both Porsche and non-Porsche disciples as opposed to serving as a cause for generating ill will. :smile:
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}

User avatar
Ben
Site Admin
Posts: 16348
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001
Location: Land of the sleeping gods
Contact:

Re: religious avalanche?

Postby Ben » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:11 am

A very good friend and co-meditator, sent me this poem yesterday.

(from Hafiz: 'Cast All Your Votes for Dancing")

'Learn to recognize the counterfeit coins
That may buy you just a moment of pleasure,
But then drag you for days
Like a broken man
Behind a farting camel.'
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia
e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com


Return to “Open Dhamma”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anagarika, David N. Snyder, denise, Google [Bot] and 7 guests