Wiki article, strange claims concerning Brahman & Buddhism

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Wiki article, strange claims concerning Brahman & Buddhism

Postby Bunjers » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:50 pm

Came across the wiki article on Brahman whilst researching for a uni essay (on hindu philosophy.) please see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahman towards the bottom of the page

There is a section on 'Brahman in Earliest Buddhism' (even though it talks under the same section about the later Mahayana Lalitavistara and Shurangama Sutras I'm not sure if they count as all that early???)
There are a number of references to places in the Nikayas where it interpolates the word 'Brahman' in place of Brahma (which actually just means 'divine' right? without any meaning of the cosmic Brahman.)
If I'm understanding it right, it seems to want to argue the Buddha was teaching some kind of Vedanta and claiming the 'Brahma' in brahmavihara is really talking about Brahman!

It's not very well referenced or anything, worryingly just a reference to an obscure german paper, a theosophist article amongst over things.

Would like to see if you can make any sense of it - I get the idea it's total nonsense! One of the first times I've come across something which appears so misleading on wiki.

Ok thanks very much everyone :smile: Peace
Gāravo ca nivāto ca, Santutthi ca kataññutā, Kālena dhammasavanam, Etam mangalamuttamam :anjali:
Bunjers

Re: Wiki article, strange claims concerning Brahman & Buddhism

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:04 pm

It was written by Ken Wheeler (who has a number of other names), self proclaimed ex-Buddhist monk and buddhologist:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Attasarana

You should have seen the anatta entry, which is still rather crappy, but was far worse when he had his way with it.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby Kenshou » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:05 pm

Yeah, it's pretty nonsensical. That whole section would probably be better of deleted, it seems pretty useless and uninformative.
Kenshou

Postby Nibbida » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:49 pm

"I give lectures on Buddhism as a Sramanic school of Advaita vedanta, and that its teachings in no way support the nihilistic view of modern secular Buddhism which is anti-foundationalist in nature and contrary to the Nikayas, to doctrine."

Furthermore the primary origins of anti-foundationalism emerged concurrently with those that allowed doctrinal seepage into advaita and Sramanic hagiography. Nihilistic irregularities among the Dhammic exegetes proved anathema to commentarial secular functionalist claims. Bleep blop blippity flop. Bip-de-bip-de-boo. Whop bop a loo-bop, a whop bam-boom.
"Dispositions of the mind, like limbs of the body, acquire strength by exercise." --Thomas Jefferson

Facebook Meditation Page: http://snurl.com/yoga9vipassana
Nibbida

Return to Open Dhamma