contemporary arhants

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

contemporary arhants

Postby perkele » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:17 pm

After reading of the recent passing away of Phra Maha Boowa, who was supposedly an arhant, the question came to my mind if there are other known contemporary arhants (or recently passed away)? A question that has been lingering in my mind for long. I'm asking out of curiosity and interest what influence those people had and what they had to say, how they taught the Dhamma.
perkele

Re: contemporary arhants

Postby cooran » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:19 pm

Hello perkele,

A few previoius threads on the same subject:

Arahants
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1323&start=0

Living Arahants in 2011
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6876&start=0

Do you think you ever met Arahant?
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4059&start=0

Arahants redefined, or not?
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=716&start=0

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby perkele » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:52 pm

Oh, thank you. :anjali:
perkele

Postby A_Martin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:49 am

Lungphu Ghia: he and Acharn Maha Bua are the only ones who taught in the style of the Great Lungphu Mun. I don't know if there are talks translated into English, most of it will be in Thai
Lungphu Laa: Most of his talks are in Isaan, Laotioan dialekt.
Lungphu Theete(Thate): Some of his talks have been translated into English
Than Phor Lee: some of his talks have been translated by Than Jeff Thanissaro see www.accesstoinsight.com
Lungphu Dun: QA Some of them have been translated into English.
Acharn Suwat: see http://www.theravada-dhamma.org/page2/p ... ge125.html
About 60 well known disciples of the Great Lungphu Mun were Arahants, that are now deceased all, since Than Acharn Maha Bua passed away. There are some female Arahants as well. Others that were recluses are not known.
They all have passed away.
Lungphu Lee, he is still alive, 88 years of age, is the only one I am 100% sure of, but he does not give talks, but he can answer your questions about practice. Other questions he is very unlikely to answer.
>>>
You can say, whatever people want to believe that is the truth for them. They are all normal human beings, no special air, e.g. no conceit around them. You could literally walk through them, without them rejecting it, that is to say they have no conceit, that makes them protect themselves.
The only time it might be necessary to know if one is an Arahant, is then when one is stuck in ones practice. They will instantly know at what level of practice you are, and then be able to guide you in the right direction.
Just remember what the Lord Buddha said: To fight alone an army of soldiers is easier than to fight oneSELF!. If you cannot trust or subdue, submit to a teacher, how can you get rid of SELF?
A_Martin

Return to Open Dhamma