What kind of Buddhist am I?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

What kind of Buddhist am I?

Postby TheNaturalMind » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:05 pm

If I'm someone who sees dependent origination and rebirth as a moment-to-moment thing, and is inclined towards a non-duality model of enlightenment (i.e. the eliminating or seeing through the sense that there is a fundamentally separate or continuous center-point, agent, watcher, doer, perceiver, subject, observer, etc.)...what type of Buddhism is that? Theravada, Mahayana, both, neither, other?

(Yes, I realize the irony in trying to identify myself as a specific kind of Buddhist. I'm interested in this from a purely academic perspective! :reading: )
TheNaturalMind

Re: What kind of Buddhist am I?

Postby PeterB » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:14 pm

Well to start with a negative and take it from there.....the Theravada does not define itself in terms of "non duality" I dont know if that helps.
PeterB

Postby kirk5a » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:21 pm

TheNaturalMind wrote:If I'm someone who sees dependent origination and rebirth as a moment-to-moment thing, and is inclined towards a non-duality model of enlightenment (i.e. the eliminating or seeing through the sense that there is a fundamentally separate or continuous center-point, agent, watcher, doer, perceiver, subject, observer, etc.)...what type of Buddhism is that? Theravada, Mahayana, both, neither, other?

Academic.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
kirk5a

Postby mlswe » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:03 pm

edit to: should practice more and answer less
Last edited by mlswe on Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mlswe

Postby TheNaturalMind » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:04 pm

mlswe wrote:in essence there are no buddhists, just dhamma, many dont see it, a few do
And is my description Dhamma or not?
TheNaturalMind

Postby mlswe » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:08 pm

Last edited by mlswe on Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mlswe

Postby mlswe » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:10 pm

you are inclined towards seeing Dhamma

my seeing is quite good my expression of it is not always so I will leave it as this
mlswe

Postby PeterB » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:44 pm

mlswe wrote:in essence there are no buddhists, just dhamma, many dont see it, a few do

try experiencing when you wanted to see it from an academic perspective, go to the satipatthana sutta and see if you can find any instructions fitting to this experience

Oh yes there are. In essence.
PeterB

Postby mlswe » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:01 pm

Last edited by mlswe on Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mlswe

Postby mlswe » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:06 pm

try experiencing when you wanted to see it from an academic perspective, go to the satipatthana sutta and see if you can find any instructions fitting to this experience

it should just be "there are no buddhists..."
mlswe

Postby PeterB » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:07 pm

Oh yes there are. Buddhists are those who have Gone for Refuge to the Buddha, Dhamma, and Sangha.
PeterB

Postby mlswe » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:17 pm

Last edited by mlswe on Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mlswe

Postby PeterB » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:18 pm

You do realise that this is a Theravada forum miswe....? You would probably find some support on Zen Forum International.
PeterB

Postby mlswe » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:21 pm

edit to: i should answer less and practice more
Last edited by mlswe on Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mlswe

Postby m0rl0ck » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:00 pm

TheNaturalMind wrote:If I'm someone who sees dependent origination and rebirth as a moment-to-moment thing, and is inclined towards a non-duality model of enlightenment (i.e. the eliminating or seeing through the sense that there is a fundamentally separate or continuous center-point, agent, watcher, doer, perceiver, subject, observer, etc.)...what type of Buddhism is that? Theravada, Mahayana, both, neither, other?

(Yes, I realize the irony in trying to identify myself as a specific kind of Buddhist. I'm interested in this from a purely academic perspective! :reading: )

That leaves you alot to choose from. Those are broadly buddhist ideas. You might try approaching it from a standpoint of practice instead of held views. After all, if you are interested in buddhism, its likely that your best thinking only succeeded in getting you to a point where you are looking for a cure for it. Choose a practice method that resonates with you would be my suggestion and try a couple of different flavors of buddhism and see a couple of different teachers if possible and discover what kind you are :)
There is no comfort without pain; thus
we define salvation through suffering.
-- Cato
m0rl0ck

Postby Akuma » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:55 am

Having a predefined idea in your head and then going on a search for a religion that fits that is not academic :tongue: Also your explanation is not detailed enough to give an answer.
If you say "moment-to-moment-thing" for example it seems you are implying that you dont believe in post-death-rebirth. Buddhism accepts both at the same time tho and sees one follow out of the other.
If you say non-duality at least four kinds of non-duality in Buddhism come to mind but they are different from the Non-Duality of say the Advaita-Vedanta.
Akuma

Postby Ben » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:19 am

Figuring out what to call yourself misses the point, a little, I think.
To paraphrase a quote from Forest Gump, 'Buddhist is what Buddhist does'. I recommend that you concentrate on developing sila, samadhi and panna and then the answer to the question "what sort of Buddhist am I?" will become apparent.
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Heraclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby PeterB » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:01 am

Indeed, Buddhists exist...but are defined not by what they believe, but what they do. They do Buddha Dhamma. Buddha Dhamma is a doing thing.
A verb, not an adjective, and not a noun.
PeterB

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:57 pm

mlswe wrote:going for refuge implies shelter, what is it that the triple gem shelters from? suffering.

Suffering is being blind to the truth that there is anatta

Buddhists are a concept containing substrata and is conditioned.

Therefore it is ultimately not true.
Says who?
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby mlswe » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:48 pm

edit: i should answer less and practice more
Last edited by mlswe on Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mlswe

Next

Return to Open Dhamma