I really need to find a job

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation
tamdrin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

I really need to find a job

Postby tamdrin » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:51 pm

Hi all,
I recently graduated from University (degree in religion and philosophy), moved into my own apartmen, and now I really need to find a job to support myself. Are there any suggestions on jobs in accordance with a Buddhist lifestyle and right livelihood?

Sincerely,
Tamdrin

Moggalana
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Re: I really need to find a job

Postby Moggalana » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:48 pm

What about teaching (at Uni or school for example)?
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.

123ertyy
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Postby 123ertyy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:57 pm

The Buddha mentions five specific kinds of livelihood which bring harm to others and are therefore to be avoided: dealing in weapons, in living beings (including raising animals for slaughter as well as slave trade and prostitution), in meat production and butchery, in poisons, and in intoxicants (AN 5:177). He further names several dishonest means of gaining wealth which fall under wrong livelihood: practicing deceit, treachery, soothsaying, trickery, and usury (MN 117). Obviously any occupation that requires violation of right speech and right action is a wrong form of livelihood, but other occupations, such as selling weapons or intoxicants, may not violate those factors and yet be wrong because of their consequences for others.

So if you could find a school to teach about what you know the most, will suit for you. and anything else you like, excluding the things that are mentioned in the quotation above :) I know it wont be an easy task, but think that we wont be living only on this life, there will be more to come and there were more that we've already passed in our long journey of samsara. So what ever you do right will be there for you along with your samsara. Hope i atleast gave you a fair answer :|

With metta,
ert.
We die someday.

daverupa
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby daverupa » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:22 pm

There was a thread once upon a time that discussed the propriety of being a server in a restaurant and having to deliver alcohol according to the requests of the patrons. I suppose working as a clerk in a convenience store or grocers might, to some, be a gray area when, for example, someone brings a case of beer or a rump roast to the register, but I very much doubt that it runs afoul of the precepts. However, one career field which I think does run afoul is sales and advertising. The purpose of those endeavors is to generate desire in another person(s), and I find this to be very much more against the Dhamma than operating a cash register or walking a beer and a burger from the restaurant kitchen to a table.

In this analysis my understanding of Right LIvelihood begins to take shape:

Brewing alcohol? Problem.
Acting as an advertiser for alcohol? Problem.
Bartending? Potential (context-specific) problem.
Delivery driver of alcohol? Potential (context-specific) problem.
Ringing up an alcohol sale as a grocery clerk? No problem.

Examples are probably to be examined individually, in these complex economic times. Also, you could always go forth...
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

Ben
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby Ben » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:55 pm

tamdrin wrote:Hi all,
I recently graduated from University (degree in religion and philosophy), moved into my own apartmen, and now I really need to find a job to support myself. Are there any suggestions on jobs in accordance with a Buddhist lifestyle and right livelihood?

Sincerely,
Tamdrin

I think you know the answer.
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia
e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com

chownah

Postby chownah » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:50 am

You could be a sewer worker.....or an attendant at a swimming pool.....or a sex worker...
chownah

alan

Postby alan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:55 am

I find it hard to believe that a recent graduate with two high-end degrees does not also have some council from those institutions for job placement.

Return to “Open Dhamma”