The Forum Sub Banner

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Re: The Forum Sub Banner

Postby PeterB » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:17 pm

:popcorn:
PeterB

Postby Akuma » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:20 pm

PeterB wrote:Your need to descend to labelling views with which you are uncomfortable as indicating illness are very interesting...

I am not uncomfortable with your views as I am not a Buddhist and therefore your views dont have any emotional impact on me at all apart from being "interesting" to use your word.
Now - since you equal "hurt" and "illness" it seems I am correct.
It is obvious that you feel uncertain if you did the right choice which shows itself in you popping up everywhere where there is the slightest opportunity to criticize anything that reminds you even remotely of views proposed on a certain zen forum (I have myself never heard of) or views which you probably held yourself in the past. So I follow you were comfortable with those views but were shown (or so you believe) they are incorrect which disillusioned you. You were incapable of letting that go tho and this uncertainty never left you which forces you to reassure yourself whenever the possibility presents itself that what you believe in now is correct. Because if you for example criticize Mahayana you do not accept the now widely accepted notion that Mahayana is not a school that does in the same way not hold a certain sets of views. You are merely cricitizing your own past.
I am going to ignore your "if noone wants my input I am going to leave" drama and leave it to you to analyse yourself why you are repeating a rhetoric question now for the third time already.
Akuma

Postby PeterB » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:40 pm

Akuma wrote:
Note the use of the word "Dhamma"...in this subforum of a forum whose subheading is "a disussion forum on the Dhamma OF THE THERAVADA .."

Dhamma Wheel has a sister forum called Dharma Wheel. ITS subheading says " A discussion forum on the Dhamma of the Vajyana and Mahayana "

Good for them. More power to their elbows I say.

Eventho I expected this reaction I am a bit at a loss of words.
I am talking about this thread of yours which is offtopic in regard to the rules of this sub-forum.

Honestly man, as someone also interested in Psychology I cannot but wonder what hurt you so much that you cannot let your past as an "ignorant Mahayani" go. Whatever it was it is clouding your perception. Please do something about it. Get well soon :hello:

And the " get well soon" ? :rofl:
PeterB

Postby PeterB » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:42 pm

PeterB wrote:So, having got my patronising and sick nature off our chests is anyone actually prepared to answer my question

What do you think "A Buddhist discussion forum on the Dhamma of the Theravada " means ?

And your response to this is Akuma ?

Its Ok I am not at work I can play " broken record" and " acknowledging negative transference " all night .....
PeterB

Postby Vepacitta » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:45 pm

It means a discussion on the teachings of the Tathagata as set forth in the pali canon (Nikayas, Vinana and Abhidhamma); supplemented by 'later' teachers of such Dhamma.

It's ok I guess to look at and compare with other traditions or even other philosophies - but within a limited scope - as in "golly, that's sort of similar to what Epicticus said - that's interesting, isn't it?" Not in a "my trad is better than your trad" kinda way.

Just thinking aloud here on Mt Meru,

V.
I'm your friendly, neighbourhood Asura
Vepacitta

Postby PeterB » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:51 pm

Sounds good to me Vepacitta.
PeterB

Postby Jhana4 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:24 pm

Peter, I don't want to be a jerk, but aren't you bothered that you, an MD, a shrink, and a highly experienced meditator is getting so bent out of shape over an ignorant opinion from some college kid? What does that say to other people about the value of all of those things if you can let that happen?
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Jhana4

Postby PeterB » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:30 pm

Define " bent out of shape "... :smile:
I asked a very simple question

What do people think " A Buddhist Forum on the Dhamma of The Theravada" means...
I did not invent the phrase ..there it is at the head of this page..
Only one person answered..Vepacitta...everyone else went charging around emoting and getting fits of the vapors, doubting my sanity and frothing. Clearly this was some kind of taboo question.
It seems to me that the shape bending was elsewhere... :lol:
Last edited by PeterB on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterB

Postby Akuma » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:52 pm

And your response to this is Akuma ?

That the question is offtopic in regard to the subforum rules and therefore youre in the same shoes as those you try to criticize.

And the " get well soon" ?

It was meant the way I wrote it.
Akuma

Postby PeterB » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:54 pm

So you think that the mods are at fault for not spotting that Akuma...?

Perhaps you would care to point to the subforum rule it breaches ?

Better still, answer the question ?
PeterB

Postby Mawkish1983 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:43 pm

Seems pretty clear to me. I'm not sure how to re-word "a Buddhist discussion forum on the Dhamma of the Theravada" to make it any simpler, it is clear enough. This forum is for discussion about the Dhamma as followed by the Theravada.

As for shape-bending et al, I've seen no such thing. I've seen a lot of projection and a lot of people trying to guess what other people are thinking. It's not productive. It's not helpful. It's not conducive to a calm learning environment.

I just pop in and out of Dhamma Wheel now (too busy to devote any real time) and each time I am reminded just how important it is for me to practice dilligently. Out I pop again.
Mawkish1983

Postby Akuma » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:49 pm

PeterB wrote:So you think that the mods are at fault for not spotting that Akuma...?

Perhaps you would care to point to the subforum rule it breaches ?

Better still, answer the question ?

If the mods did not remove the thread by the Vajrayani one can follow that it was on-topic which renders your question irrelevant.
If they did not remove it eventho it was offtopic then the same might go for your own thread, whose subject is not "Theravada Dhamma" but "Text in the banner of a forum".

This is enough broken record for me.
Akuma

Postby PeterB » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:00 pm

Thank you Mawkish :anjali:

By my reckoning that is now four people who have actually answered a very simple question in a thread that has now run to four pages.
PeterB

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:41 pm

PeterB wrote:The forum sub banner reads

"A Buddhist discussion forum on the Dhamma of the Theravada..."

Is any of this ambiguous and difficult to understand ?

One of the cool things about the term 'Dhamma' (in my opinion) is that it is specifically a Theravada Buddhist term whereas the Sanskrit 'Dharma' could refer to Mahayana Dharma, Jain Dharma, Sikh Dharma, etc.

But there might be still a few out there who don't know that 'Dhamma' is specifically a Theravadin / early Buddhism term (Pali).
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Kim OHara » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:47 pm

Spiny O'Norman wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:It become an interesting question of how do we discuss the Mahayana here.

Respectfully would be my suggestion.

Spiny

Agreed.
While I'm being agreeable, I'll agree with the post noting that that this thread is off-topic in this forum.

Peter, your question doesn't seem to me to be as simple as you are pretending, in that it seems to be prompted by an unmentioned other thread and motivated by an unstated agenda, and your intensity in pursuing it seems, let's say, unskillful.
So I'll agree with Akuma and wish you peace and good health.
:namaste:
Kim
Kim OHara

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:54 pm

Greetings,

Vepacitta wrote:It means a discussion on the teachings of the Tathagata as set forth in the pali canon (Nikayas, Vinana and Abhidhamma); supplemented by 'later' teachers of such Dhamma.

It's ok I guess to look at and compare with other traditions or even other philosophies - but within a limited scope - as in "golly, that's sort of similar to what Epicticus said - that's interesting, isn't it?" Not in a "my trad is better than your trad" kinda way.

Well, that's rather what was meant by it, with a bit of flexibility allowed where people don't become disruptive or engage in proselytizing.

Dhamma Wheel is intentionally separate from the Maha/Vajra Dharma Wheel because Theravadins should be able to engage in Dhamma discussion on their own terms, without being "hinayanists" - a term the Buddha never heard and would probably slap down within seconds if he ever had the misfortune of hearing sravakas referred to in this way by those who proclaim to be "Buddhists".

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Jhana4 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:05 pm

PeterB wrote:Thank you Mawkish :anjali:

By my reckoning that is now four people who have actually answered a very simple question in a thread that has now run to four pages.

I don't think there was ever any doubt, my problem with this thread was the amount of energy devoted to the bickering over a small point. As if the wrong opinion of a kid just out of college is going to matter to any of our lives.

I'm new here, what is/was the relationship between dhammawheel.com and dhaRmawheel.com ?
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Jhana4

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:13 pm

Greetings Jhana4,
Jhana4 wrote:I'm new here, what is/was the relationship between dhammawheel.com and dhaRmawheel.com ?

Dharma Wheel was set up as an offering to our Mahayana and Vajrayana friends who liked the Dhamma Wheel way of doing things and wanted us to extend Dhamma Wheel to become a pan-Buddhist forum. Not wanting Dhamma Wheel to become pan-Buddhist (see my post above re:hinayana), we created a separate forum for these bodhisattva aspirants. It took a while for the other site to get 'critical mass' but it seems there now, and is now being actively run by some members of the Mahayana and Vajrayana online community, and generally in line with the Dhamma Wheel way of doing things. Actually, my main role nowadays at Dharma Wheel is endeavouring to maintain a degree of consistency between the sites in terms of structure and governance.

That's it in a nutshell.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Jhana4 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:21 pm

Thanks.

"A Buddhist discussion forum on the Dhamma of the Theravada"

"Dhamma" and "Theravada" seem a bit redundant with each other. Why not

"A discussion forum on Theravada Buddhism" ?

Also, if it isn't going to stoke up a flame war why do some Mahayanits have a negative attitude towards Theravada? Do they believe they have a "religious update" over Theravada via a new arahant/Buddha, the way Islam has an "update" on Christians and Christians have an "update" on Jews?
Jhana4

Postby PeterB » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:26 pm

Well, despite any cynicism that my stated position is likely to provoke my intention actually was simply to ask how members saw the intention of the sub header .
What followed was a kind of verbal Rorschasch..with projections and speculations of all kinds....how could it be " off topic" for the Dhamma free for all ?
Why did it provoke anger ?

I did not start to provoke an " interesting" response....It has been just that though. Very.
PeterB

PreviousNext

Return to Open Dhamma