Tattoo?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Tattoo?

Postby Tattoo » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:58 am

I currently studies Taoism, but I still considers Buddhist's teaching a very important part of my life and really made me who I am today. It also probably really helped me get through life when I was at a very tough position in high school.

So... I'm consider getting a half sleeve done. I'd like to include few Buddhism symbols such as spoked wheel, foot print, or something like that tattooed on me along with Taoism symbol as well.

Would this be offend toward Buddhism at all? Because I really don't want to offend something that really mean a lot to me and helped me through some of very tough time so much.

Thanks in advance.
Tattoo

Re: Tattoo?

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:00 am

Greetings Tattoo,

I don't know of any mentions of tattoos in the suttas, so to that extent there's no "official policy" on tattoos.

Personally, I think as long as your intentions are wholesome, then it's fine.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby cooran » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:17 am

Hello Tattoo,

Two previous discussions here on this topic:

Tattoos in Buddhism, Acceptable or not???
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1312#p16440

Dhamma Tattoos
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5406&start=0

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby VeganLiz » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:28 am

So you're not a practicing Buddhist and you want to know if it might be disrespectful for you to get a tattoo of a Buddhist symbol? I wouldn't say so. There are different symbols which really have a nice meaning behind them...like the lotus, for instance. If anything it's respectful to different aspects of it, I'm my opinion.
"My actions are my only true belongings." Thich Nhat Hanh
VeganLiz

Postby Tattoo » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:51 am

Thanks for all helps. I appreciate it.

Well so it is ok to combine the symbols with Taoism symbol (yin yang) as well?
Tattoo

Postby Tattoo » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:59 am

Oh! Should I be worried about getting certain Buddhism symbols such as Buddha's eyes, endless knot, etc... Since I know I don't live up to the expectation and don't feel like it is right for me to wear such symbol.

The reason I'm asking this is because eventhough I'm not a Buddhist, I still don't want a tattoo of a symbols that is suppose to mean something that I am not. So if I get a tattoo that is suppose to symbolize something, I want to be able to live up to whatever it mean otherwise I would feel like a hypocrite.
But at same time I know Buddhism aren't into materials. So that kinda leave me in a confusing position.
Tattoo

Postby Euclid » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:16 am

I think Retro is correct in saying that your intention is what is most important, rather than worrying about being offensive.

Although, if I may play devil's advocate, rather than honouring the Buddhadhamma by getting an external tattoo, perhaps it would be more worthwhile to honour the Buddhadhamma by internally walking the path? Just a thought. :anjali:
Euclid

Return to Open Dhamma