Setting up mindfulness

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Setting up mindfulness

Postby legolas » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:36 am

I have been considering the meaning of parimukham lately and asked on the pali forum if anyone had any opinions on it having a temporal aspect.................

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7453

It is not that I have a definitive opinion one way or another, it is just that the expression "setting mindfulness to the fore" is I believe an important one to understand.

I don't know if people recognise that the expression crops up in other suttas that do not appear to have anything to do with mindfulness of breathing...............
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.107.horn.html

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.125.horn.html

There are more if people research

One thing I have noticed is that the expression follows on from keeping the body/spine erect - setting mindfulness in front (a la chakra column?). I must express that I have no definitive opinion on the expression, only that in the context it is used in the canon it seems strange to me if that context would be "nose". I would be interested in other people's opinion on the expression "parimukham" in regards to its usage, bearing in mind its use in the above suttas.
legolas

Re: Setting up mindfulness

Postby daverupa » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:36 am

I'm not sure how to discern the Pali phrase in question from the cited English translations, but in those two cases the phrase about bringing mindfulness to the fore seems to have an exclusive context of meditation instruction. Will you please cite that phrase in a context that is not to do with a standard meditation template?
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby legolas » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:47 am

daverupa wrote:I'm not sure how to discern the Pali phrase in question from the cited English translations, but in those two cases the phrase about bringing mindfulness to the fore seems to have an exclusive context of meditation instruction. Will you please cite that phrase in a context that is not to do with a standard meditation template?

My point was that the two examples given do not pertain to anapana, obviously they pertain to meditation.
legolas

Postby Dmytro » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:53 am

Hi Legolas,

legolas wrote:I don't know if people recognise that the expression crops up in other suttas that do not appear to have anything to do with mindfulness of breathing...............
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.107.horn.html

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.125.horn.html

This has been discussed in the thread:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5636#p90478
Dmytro

Postby legolas » Fri May 06, 2011 8:57 pm

In light of some modern teachers methods/suggestions and my own personal practice, the phrase could quite possibly mean "smile" :smile:

This would work especially well with the brahmavihara's.

Does anybody know the pali for smile?

Maybe watching around the mouth is all the stimulus needed for a smile to appear when the meditation is going well.
legolas

Postby Freawaru » Sun May 08, 2011 7:56 pm

legolas wrote:I have been considering the meaning of parimukham lately and asked on the pali forum if anyone had any opinions on it having a temporal aspect.................

One thing I have noticed is that the expression follows on from keeping the body/spine erect - setting mindfulness in front (a la chakra column?). I must express that I have no definitive opinion on the expression, only that in the context it is used in the canon it seems strange to me if that context would be "nose". I would be interested in other people's opinion on the expression "parimukham" in regards to its usage, bearing in mind its use in the above suttas.

I think it might mean to be able to "see" mindfulness, to face it. Once mindfulness has become perpetual it usually runs in the background. One does not concentrate on it, or think of it or uses it intentionally. So for mindfulness meditation one has to concentrate on mindfulness, to shift it from a background "program" to the front screen - so to speak.
Freawaru

Return to Open Dhamma