Develop the mind to deliver incoming defilements

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
starter

Develop the mind to deliver incoming defilements

Post by starter »

Hm... I hesitate to post this thread but considering the limitless satient beings in our minds to be delivered, I still would like to share this thought with our friends, and hope you won't feel weird.

I remember a while ago reading the teachings of Ajahn Lee and Ajahn Thanissaro about the various beings in our mind having kind of panel meetings (if I remember correctly), which I didn't quite comprehend. Today I read the following teaching of Master Huineng:

"We vow to deliver the limitless sentient beings of our mind. ...

And who are these sentient beings within our mind? They are the delusive mind, the deceitful mind, the jealous mind, the evil mind, and such like minds [there are also good minds] -- all these are sentient beings...

Now, what does it mean to deliver oneself by one's own pure mind? It means the deliverance of the ignorant, the delusive, and the vexatious beings within our own mind by means of Right Views. With the aid of Right Views and Wisdom the barriers raised by these ignorant and delusive beings may be broken down; so that each of them is in a position to deliver himself by his own efforts. Let the fallacious be delivered by rightness; the deluded by enlightenment; the ignorant by wisdom; and the malevolent by benevolence. Such is genuine deliverance."

-- http://www.sinc.sunysb.edu/Clubs/buddhi ... neng6.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Before reading this teaching, I was thinking of only removing/eradicating the incoming defilements of our mind. But now I realized that the process of developing the mind is actually the process of delivering/freeing the incoming defilements – the satient beings coming into our mind, so Master Huineng's teaching doesn't contradict the Buddha's teaching on this point at all. It's also worth paying attention that Master Huineng actually changed the Mahayana Boddhisata practice of saving every being in Samsara into developing our own mind instead.

Metta,

Starter
Last edited by starter on Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben

Re: The incoming defilements are satient beings to be saved?

Post by Ben »

I think, starter, those teachers were using the literary device of metaphor.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
starter

Post by starter »

Ben wrote:I think, starter, those teachers were using the literary device of metaphor.
-- Hi Ben, you might change your view after reading their teachings. Thanks and metta!
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

starter wrote: Before reading this teaching, I was thinking of removing/eradicating the incoming defilements of our mind. But now I realized it's probably better to save them ...
Put them in your piggy bank.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ben

Post by Ben »

starter wrote:
Ben wrote:I think, starter, those teachers were using the literary device of metaphor.
-- Hi Ben, you might change your view after reading their teachings. Thanks and metta!
Not likely, starter. But thanks for your kind wishes.

kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

starter wrote:Before reading this teaching, I was thinking of removing/eradicating the incoming defilements of our mind. But now I realized it's probably better to save them ...
Interesting... maybe instead of saving, though, one should "free" them. Study how they arise, where they came from, and how they come to their end. Don't keep them bounded, or cling to any of them. This will develop your paññā, till the point where you're able to free the entire mind, bringing it to nibbāna.

:anjali:
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

starter wrote:Hm... I hesitate to post this thread but considering the limitless satient beings in our minds to be saved/delivered...
Scientology?
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

starter wrote:
Hello, starter,
I agreed with Ben, I read the chapter and, FWIW, I still agree with him.
:namaste:
Kim
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

In all honesty, starter, I think you would find a better fit here: http://www.dharmawheel.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723