Do you believe in Arahants?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Re: Do you believe in Arahants?

Postby LastLegend » Tue May 10, 2011 5:10 am

kirk5a wrote:The title "The Path to Arahantship" is not what I would call being coy. :smile: I think it is clear from what is in there that Ajahn Maha Boowa was saying he was an arahant and he was describing in detail the practice to get to that point. And he just died a few months ago so.. there ya go.

http://www.forestdhammabooks.com/book/3 ... amagga.pdf

Yes then he is an Arahant.
LastLegend

Postby cooran » Tue May 10, 2011 7:36 am

Hello all,

He passed away on29 January, 2011, aged 98 years:

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php ... 64,0,0,1,0

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby Virgo » Tue May 10, 2011 4:28 pm

ricketybridge wrote:This is slightly OT, but I don't really understand why it's expected or desirable for an arahant to be all coy about their enlightenment. I certainly understand the impulse to judge and be suspicious of anyone who claims such a thing, but if the Buddha himself didn't make it such a secret, why should we assume other arahants should?

But to answer the original question, I would imagine that yes, there must be living arahants in the world today (the Dalai Lama, for instance?), and yes, it must be possible, or else it means that the Buddha and every subsequent arahant were basically lying, which I find pretty far-fetched.

A practical and intelligent post. You see a lot of people who just because they believe that they will never personally become enlightened in this lifetime believe that it's also impossible for everyone else to accomplish it. Or at least they don't open their mind to the fact that it could be possible, very possible. For example, they think sotapannas won't have sex or watch television or some other silly such things. Tell that kind of thing to Visakkha, a sotapanna at the age of SEVEN (and remember, this was only 2500 years ago roughly) who went on the have TEN sons and TEN daughters in that lifetime, engaging in sensual pleasure. Is she the one that also wore the top that was encrusted with diamonds and gems so much so that she looked like a walking jewelery shop or was that another sotapanna? I have people tell me countless ridiculous things about sotapannas and other ariyans, and yet they say I am the one who doesn't know what he is talking about. Haters... geesh.

Kevin
Virgo

Postby ricketybridge » Thu May 12, 2011 12:46 am

kirk5a wrote:The title "The Path to Arahantship" is not what I would call being coy. :smile: I think it is clear from what is in there that Ajahn Maha Boowa was saying he was an arahant and he was describing in detail the practice to get to that point. And he just died a few months ago so.. there ya go.

http://www.forestdhammabooks.com/book/3 ... amagga.pdf

Okay, well, good to know. :)
ricketybridge

Postby ancientbuddhism » Thu May 12, 2011 3:34 pm

Here is an autobiography of sorts of an arahant layman: Khun Kampol Thongbunnum.

Khun Kampol practices the mahasati method of Luangpo Teean, and like LP Teean is careful to couch his claim of arahantship in the phrasing “Nowadays I am fully resigned from suffering.”
Fingers walk the darkness down
Mind is on the midnight
Gather up the gold you've found
You fool, it's only moonlight.
If you try to take it home
Your hands will turn to butter
You better leave this dream alone
Try to find another. – Townes Van Zandt ‘Lungs’

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

Postby ricketybridge » Thu May 12, 2011 6:48 pm

ancientbuddhism wrote:“Nowadays I am fully resigned from suffering.”

Much better than my current state: fully resigned to suffering. Heh.
ricketybridge

Postby gsteinb » Fri May 13, 2011 1:20 pm

ancientbuddhism wrote:Here is an autobiography of sorts of an arahant layman: Khun Kampol Thongbunnum.

Khun Kampol practices the mahasati method of Luangpo Teean, and like LP Teean is careful to couch his claim of arahantship in the phrasing “Nowadays I am fully resigned from suffering.”

The link appears to be dead.
gsteinb

Postby icyteru » Fri May 27, 2011 3:46 pm

gsteinb wrote:
ancientbuddhism wrote:Here is an autobiography of sorts of an arahant layman: Khun Kampol Thongbunnum.

The link appears to be dead.

not dead. use right click, save link as.
The most complete english tipitaka on the internet world. http://realtruthlife.blogspot.com .
icyteru

Postby Cittasanto » Sun May 29, 2011 12:37 pm

YES!
but I think it wise to be cautious of any claims of any noble birth!

however I am firmly convinced that Acariya Maha-boowa has attained parinibbana, and had for what he believed to be good reason, proclaimed his attainment for the good and benefit of those of faith, and to increase the faith of those with little or lacking faith.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Previous

Return to Open Dhamma