Where is this found?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation
JackV
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Where is this found?

Postby JackV » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:59 pm

Hi guys.

The following quote, "All conditioned things are impermanent. Everything that deteriorates is suffering," Where is this from, speciffically I mean? Does anyone have a Sutra reference or something?

Also, and related to this first point I noticed people quoting Sutras often on this site, where does one find these, where or how can they be read?

Bless

Jack
Here where a thousand
captains swore grand conquest
Tall grasses their monument.

IanAnd

Re: Where is this found?

Postby IanAnd » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:20 pm

JackV wrote:Hi guys.

The following quote, "All conditioned things are impermanent. Everything that deteriorates is suffering," Where is this from, speciffically I mean? Does anyone have a Sutra reference or something?

Also, and related to this first point I noticed people quoting Sutras often on this site, where does one find these, where or how can they be read?

Bless

Jack

Hi Jack,

It might help others to help you if you could tell us where YOU found this quote. It doesn't come up in any of the translations that I have read.

All the best,
Ian
"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV

acinteyyo

Postby acinteyyo » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:33 pm

JackV wrote:Hi guys.
The following quote, "All conditioned things are impermanent. Everything that deteriorates is suffering," Where is this from, speciffically I mean? Does anyone have a Sutra reference or something

Hi JackV,

the first thing which came into my mind are the Dhammapada Verses, but I never came across the phrase "Everything that deteriorates is suffering" specifically:
277. "All conditioned things are impermanent" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.

278. "All conditioned things are unsatisfactory" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.

279. "All things are not-self" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.

JackV wrote:Also, and related to this first point I noticed people quoting Sutras often on this site, where does one find these, where or how can they be read?

Most of the english Suttas I read come from accesstoinsight.org -> here

best wishes, acinteyyo
Pubbe cāhaṃ bhikkhave, etarahi ca dukkhañceva paññāpemi, dukkhassa ca nirodhaṃ. (M.22)
Api cāhaṃ, āvuso, imasmiṃyeva byāmamatte kaḷevare, sasaññimhi samanake lokañca paññāpemi lokasamudayañca lokanirodhañca lokanirodhagāminiñca paṭipadan. (AN4.45)

:anjali:

beeblebrox

Postby beeblebrox » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:38 pm

JackV wrote:Also, and related to this first point I noticed people quoting Sutras often on this site, where does one find these, where or how can they be read?

I think most people here use www.accesstoinsight.org. Look under "Tipitaka," and there's also a search field on the top right, on the page.

There's also www.metta.lk, but that one's a bit challenging to use since they don't use standard font. So, it's harder to search if you don't know what you're looking for. This also seems to be more complete than Access to Insight.

There are also books translated by Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi: Digha Nikaya, Majjhima Nikaya, Samyutta Nikaya, and a small part of Anguttara Nikaya (The Numerical Discourses). He also has an anthology, "In Buddha's Words," which is easily used by index, or topics, I think.

Justsit

Postby Justsit » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:55 pm

Sound similar to the Four Dharma Seals of Tibetan Buddhism:

All compounded things are impermanent.
All emotions are pain.
All phenomena are empty; they are without inherent existence.
Nirvana is beyond extremes.

Additional information here.

Not sure where to find Sutra references.

Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:34 pm

JackV wrote:The following quote, "All conditioned things are impermanent. Everything that deteriorates is suffering," Where is this from, speciffically I mean? Does anyone have a Sutra reference or something?

It's a core Buddhist teaching, you'll find it recoccurs throughout Buddhist scripture.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_marks_of_existence
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah

chownah

Postby chownah » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:53 am

JackV,
If you want to find out more about it I suggest learning about "The Four Noble Truths". It is probably the most basic of the Buddha's teachings and yet it is a comprehensive summary of the entire extent of what the Buddha taught. You can find out about "The Four Noble Truths" at almost any Buddhist website or in almost any book about Buddhism because it is such a fundamental teaching......in these references you will find references to the Suttas where it is mentioned....I think it is found in many many different Suttas....I use the accesstoinsite website (google it) to find Suttas....
chownah

ground

Postby ground » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:20 am

JackV wrote:"All conditioned things are impermanent.

Does that mean that something changes into something else? If so what do the "something before the change" and the "something after the change" share so that one can validly speak about the shared "something's impermanence"?

Kind regards

acinteyyo

Postby acinteyyo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:25 pm

TMingyur wrote:

Does that mean that something changes into something else? If so what do the "something before the change" and the "something after the change" share so that one can validly speak about the shared "something's impermanence"?

Kind regards

Hi TMingyur,

no, this is not the way how it should be understood. It doesn't mean that something changes into something else. Fabricated things are impermanent means that they're not everlasting. Arising, passing away, alteration while staying is discernible of what is fabricated. (AN3.47)

best wishes, acinteyyo
Pubbe cāhaṃ bhikkhave, etarahi ca dukkhañceva paññāpemi, dukkhassa ca nirodhaṃ. (M.22)
Api cāhaṃ, āvuso, imasmiṃyeva byāmamatte kaḷevare, sasaññimhi samanake lokañca paññāpemi lokasamudayañca lokanirodhañca lokanirodhagāminiñca paṭipadan. (AN4.45)

JackV

Postby JackV » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:58 pm

beeblebrox wrote:

I think most people here use www.accesstoinsight.org. Look under "Tipitaka," and there's also a search field on the top right, on the page.

There's also www.metta.lk, but that one's a bit challenging to use since they don't use standard font. So, it's harder to search if you don't know what you're looking for. This also seems to be more complete than Access to Insight.

There are also books translated by Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi: Digha Nikaya, Majjhima Nikaya, Samyutta Nikaya, and a small part of Anguttara Nikaya (The Numerical Discourses). He also has an anthology, "In Buddha's Words," which is easily used by index, or topics, I think.

Thank you very much, and also to everone else who replied.

Sorry, I didn't anticipate some of the perspectives of what people thought I was asking for or why. I have never heard this quote myself either hence asking if anyone had an idea form where it may have come. To the person who said it sounds Tibetan, I think they may be on to something now that I think about it.

Goofaholix - I do have a fair understanding of the central tennets of Buddhism already (obviously understanding and Understanding are two different things) but it can always be increased, and hopefully with continued practice will continue to do so. However thank you for the advice.

I really dont get Vajrayana Buddhism, it seems so... hmm, well I suppose it doesn't matter.

Thanking you kind people once again.

-_-
Here where a thousand
captains swore grand conquest
Tall grasses their monument.

ground

Postby ground » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:03 am

acinteyyo wrote:
TMingyur wrote:

Kind regards

Hi TMingyur,

no, this is not the way how it should be understood. It doesn't mean that something changes into something else. Fabricated things are impermanent means that they're not everlasting. Arising, passing away, alteration while staying is discernible of what is fabricated. (AN3.47)

So this may mean that as long as there is fabrication there is impermanence. Once fabrication ceases, impermanence ceases and dukkha ceases.

Kind regards

acinteyyo

Postby acinteyyo » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:46 am

Right! And according to dependent origination fabrication depends on ignorance. So in order to end fabrications, one has to make an end to ignorance.
best wishes, acinteyyo

Euclid

Postby Euclid » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:53 pm

I don't know if you could find that quote verbatim, but it's a reoccuring motif. I could find at least one sutta where the first part is present, and at least one sutta where the second part is present, but both of them together? Not too sure.

The closest I can think of is the Buddha's last words in the Mahaparinibbanasutta, but even then he says something to the effect of 'All compounded phenomena are fit for cessation, strive for your own salvation with diligence.'

Return to “Open Dhamma”