Going to Temple

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Going to Temple

Postby Fitz » Fri May 13, 2011 7:55 pm

I live pretty near a Cambodian temple that I've never been to. I've never been part of a Buddhist community, but 'spiritual friendship is the whole of the spiritual life Ananda,' so I figure I should. Anyway this temple is extreamly Cambodian, I'm not sure if any of the monks speak English, and its known for a terrible split in the community over the ownership of the temple. (yeah the monks as a well) Apparently the fight is so bad that there's an 'upstairs' and 'downstairs' faction that wont speak to each other and the case is in court.

That being said I'm extreamly tired of being the only Buddhist I know, and I might be able to help the community if I get involved. Do you think I should go? Get involved? Maybe sniff 'round first? Or could this be detrimental to my practice?

Much Metta,
Fitz
Fitz

Re: Going to Temple

Postby daverupa » Fri May 13, 2011 8:51 pm

Without a common language, things would be difficult...
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Re: Going to Temple

Postby plwk » Sat May 14, 2011 1:09 am

So learn their language and contribute as a Dhammaduta. Leave their drama to their 'lamas' :tongue:
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Return to Open Dhamma