Thought-provoking new blog

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Re: Thought-provoking new blog

Postby Freawaru » Thu May 19, 2011 6:21 am

retrofuturist wrote:
If I recall correctly, philosophy is derived from the Latin terms "philo" (knowledge) and "sophia" (love)... the love of knowledge.

Philo means love, sophia means wisdom.
Freawaru

Postby retrofuturist » Thu May 19, 2011 6:30 am

Yeah, it was a 50/50 bet, that one.

:tongue:
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby David2 » Thu May 19, 2011 6:36 am

Freawaru wrote:
retrofuturist wrote:
If I recall correctly, philosophy is derived from the Latin terms "philo" (knowledge) and "sophia" (love)... the love of knowledge.

Philo means love, sophia means wisdom.

And it is NOT Latin, but ancient Greek. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Greek
(I learned some ancient Greek at school. :tongue:)
David2

Postby retrofuturist » Thu May 19, 2011 6:40 am

Lucky I prefaced my comment with "if I recall correctly"

:rofl:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Jhana4 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:12 am

socratessmith wrote:What pious Buddhists Dhamma Wheel subscribers are! Peace...

I agree with Richard Dawkins that there may be a biologically based human need for religion. I think it is easier for many people to "go religious" with religions from other cultures and/or religions they choose as an adult.

I took a quick look at the blog. I probably will not read it because I'm busy in my life now, my interests are dominated by meditation and when I have time reading sutta translations.

I think the mission of the blog/movement is a good one. People discover new things, learn and move away from wrong thinking through debate.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Jhana4

Postby socratessmith » Thu May 19, 2011 7:09 pm

Well, it's nice to see all of the replies here. Thank you everyone. I will just point out – and this will be the last thing I say – that most of the posts I've seen here exemplify speculative non-Buddhism's concern for what it sees as the need to "devitalize Buddhism's postulates." Obviously, Buddhism's claims have a strong hold on many people. If I understand correctly, the blog is advocating for an approach to Buddhism from the stance of a simple non-committed human being, and not from that of a "Buddhist." If you think about it, that's how we evaluate other forms of supposed knowledge, such as science, art, and philosophy. So why not Buddhism? Why is such a commitment required? Whether there is value in such an approach can, of course, only be decided by the individual doing the investigation.

I just got a notice: the blog was updated. There is now a fascinating post called Buddhists of Oz? http://speculativenonbuddhism.wordpress.com/

Oh well, to each his own. Peace to you.
socratessmith

Postby BlackBird » Thu May 19, 2011 8:37 pm

socratessmith wrote:If I understand correctly, the blog is advocating for an approach to Buddhism from the stance of a simple non-committed human being, and not from that of a "Buddhist." If you think about it, that's how we evaluate other forms of supposed knowledge, such as science, art, and philosophy. So why not Buddhism? Why is such a commitment required? Whether there is value in such an approach can, of course, only be decided by the individual doing the investigation.

I can only speak from my own perspective, but faith in the Buddha and his "postulations" I have found to be necessary for the progression of understanding beyond a certain point. The Buddha himself has said that his doctrine is not speculative, and must be realized by the individual for himself. I (and many others) take the Buddha at his word, despite the fact that I have no personal realization of his teachings. Just as someone with an interest in science having evaluated for himself the logical underpinning of the plate tectonic theory and continental drift may accept it on provision, despite never having seen with one's own eyes that a continent is drifting or that a plate is sub-ducting under another.

The difference I dare say between the position of those in the blog and the position common here at Dhamma Wheel is that those of the blog do not accept The Buddha at his word when it is declared that he is "holy, fully enlightened, perfect in knowledge and conduct, a welfarer, world-knower, the incomparable leader of men to be tamed, teacher of gods and mankind, the awakened one and the exalted one", as opposed to the responses you see here, which most certainly come from a position of confidence in the Buddha and his teachings. On the basis of that, I defer to his word, and attempt to gain the realizations he has said are not only possible, but of the highest value in this life.

To me and many others he is not just another philosopher, he is THEE Philosopher.

Peace to you.

And to you too.

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Previous

Return to Open Dhamma