What do Buddhists think of Jesus Christ?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
JesusLovesYou

Post by JesusLovesYou »

Goofaholix

Re: What do Buddhists think of Jesus Christ?

Post by Goofaholix »

JesusLovesYou wrote:What do Buddhists think of Jesus Christ?
Depends on the Buddhist, we usually think for ourselves, there isn't much expectation for us to all think the same way as there often is in other religions.
Last edited by Goofaholix on Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Taco

Post by Taco »

I think Jesus was a good man and probably was reborn in heaven. I hope he will have an opportunity to meet buddha dhamma the next time he is reborn as a human being.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

JesusLovesYou wrote:What do Buddhists think of Jesus Christ?
Jesus was born around 4 BCE

Buddha was born 563 BCE

Buddha was the fully enlightened Samma-sam-buddha (teacher of the masses, re-discoverer of the truths) for our time. Buddhism was well established and in place long before Jesus arrived on the scene. As such, there is no "official" position of what Buddhism sees Jesus as being.

I am sure the opinions vary widely and I certainly don't speak for other Buddhists, but in my opinion, we may never know what Jesus actually taught since the New Testament was originally written in Greek (which Jesus never spoke), the Old Testament in Old Hebrew, and Jesus probably spoke Aramaic (similar, but slightly different from Old and Modern Hebrew).
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

The only teaching of Jesus that I like is the "Love your neighbor" stuff, and the turning of the cheek.

But the Buddha taught similar things long before Jesus, and taught them more completely and with greater vigor. So, I'd say Jesus was likely a good guy, just not as good a guy as the lord Buddha.
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

The image I have of Jesus is a mishmash of simple caricatures. Its hard for me to have any real idea of what he was about. But then I never really tried. The traditions which are supposed to convey his message quickly lose my attention with teachings that seem implausible, impractical, and altogether not related to the world as I understand it.

Take Care

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi Gabe

It would be nice if you could share some of those caricatures with us. :smile:

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

rowyourboat wrote:Hi Gabe

It would be nice if you could share some of those caricatures with us. :smile:

with metta

Matheesha
To what end, RYB?
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

I think there are a number of passages in the Bible that speak true worldly wisdom and if the Bible does in fact portray the man accurately, I think he had a lot of good, honest and skillful things to say. But I don't believe in a creator god, nor the eternalism put forth by him.
Nyanavira Thera wrote: God -- the Christian God, at least -- is an impossible compound of the temporal and the eternal. He is temporal because he understands man, knows what is best for him, is pleased when man is good and angry when man is naughty (which is usually the case, and so 'God is angry every day' as it is said), will listen to man's prayers, and will help him -- in short, God is man's Heavenly Father. All this is only possible for a being who, though no doubt a glorified edition, is essentially no different from man. God can only comprehend man if he himself has some acquaintance with man's weaknesses, he can only have compassion on the drug-addict if he himself knows what it is to be a drug-addict. (B.N. suggests that Christ, who was God, was subject to sexual desire.) God, therefore, like man, must exist (i.e. must be contingent in time). But, also, God is omniscient, omnipotent, and changeless -- in a word, eternal -- otherwise he would not be God. It is these attributes that distinguish him from man. Obviously enough, these two aspects are absolutely irreconcilable, a fact that Kierkegaard, the most intelligent of Christian philosophers, has been at pains to emphasize.

According to Kierkegaard, God does not exist -- he is eternal.[a] Nevertheless, God existed as a man, as Jesus of Nazareth. This is absolutely impossible, it is a contradiction in terms; to assert that the eternal became temporal, that God became man, is scandalous and outrageous -- in a word, absurd. 'Therefore' says Kierkegaard 'I believe it'. Kierkegaard describes the Christian as 'crucified upon a paradox' -- accepting as a matter of faith what he knows to be ridiculous. To be a Christian -- to have faith, even, in an eternal and benevolent God who is not specifically Christian -- is to assert, against one's better judgement, that black is white. But few Christians have Kierkegaard's better judgement against which they must assert that black is white. The vast majority are quite unaware that they are crucified upon a paradox, and are only too happy to nail their colours (black-and-white, presumably) to the mainmast in an emotional orgy of faith. And why should this drug be so extraordinarily intoxicating? The contradictory assumption that God is at once eternal and temporal enables Christians to indulge in the peculiar luxury of having their God and eating him (which they do literally, as they believe). A Christian is encouraged to believe that his own personal welfare is the particular province and special care of the Omniscient, Omnipotent, and Eternal Spirit of the Universe, who is infinitely and passionately interested in the smallest and most insignificant of his doings.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

(Speaking for myself...)

A charismatic and spiritual carpenter.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Individual

Post by Individual »

Hanzze wrote:Some: great reincanation!
Some: ohh the enemy!
Some: a great yogie!
Some: what makes that question on our forum!
Some: that has nothing to do with Buddhas teaching!
Some: I love him!
Some: He suffered, poor one!
Some: He did not, he was tricky!
Some: That question makes no sence!
Some: I dont know!

:-)
:goodpost:
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

retrofuturist wrote: A charismatic and spiritual carpenter.
He makes a cameo appearance (so brief I almost missed it, in fact) in that guise in Neil Gaiman's brilliant American Gods http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Gods.
Wikipedia wrote:The central precept of the novel is that gods and mythological creatures exist because people believe in them. Immigrants to the United States brought with them dwarves, elves, leprechauns, and other spirits and gods. However, the power of these mythological beings has diminished as people's beliefs wane. New gods have arisen, reflecting America's obsessions with media, celebrity, technology, and illegal drugs, among others.
American Gods has similarities to Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land in that they both explore the nature of religious belief and religious power structures sceptically but from the inside, so to speak.
Apart from that, they are great stories and I have been recommending them to everyone since they first appeared. :smile:

:namaste:
Kim
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Tolerance and Diversity by Bhikkhu Bodhi
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... ay_24.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To the extent that a religion proposes sound ethical principles and can promote to some degree the development of wholesome qualities such as love, generosity, detachment and compassion, it will merit in this respect the approbation of Buddhists. These principles advocated by outside religious systems will also conduce to rebirth in the realms of bliss — the heavens and the divine abodes. Buddhism by no means claims to have unique access to these realms, but holds that the paths that lead to them have been articulated, with varying degrees of clarity, in many of the great spiritual traditions of humanity. While the Buddhist will disagree with the belief structures of other religions to the extent that they deviate from the Buddha's Dhamma, he will respect them to the extent that they enjoin virtues and standards of conduct that promote spiritual development and the harmonious integration of human beings with each other and with the world.
:anjali:
Mike
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Hi JesusLovesYou,

I love Jesus, or rather what I know of him. A truly inspirational figure that is a major part of our cultural heritage.

I follow the Buddha's teachings because they work for me.

May you be well!
_/|\_