What do Buddhists think of Jesus Christ?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Re: What do Buddhists think of Jesus Christ?

Postby son of dhamma » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:31 am

From what I've extensively studied in the Pali Canon and commentaries (I have also extensively studied Mahayana doctrines, but I am not calling upon that here), Jesus seemed to have profound jhanic abilities, probably as a result of having been previously born in the Mahabrahma plane, and perceived himself a certain way before passing into Manussa, or human plane. He would have been able to do the magic (power by jhanic virtue) that is illustrated pervasively in Christian scriptures, and it would explain his relationship with "God" in that he is the Mahabrahma and the original source of theistic doctrines, as it is presupposed in the Abhidhamma Pitaka. One of the brahmas of the second jhana passes away into Mahabrahma, at the end of the continued dissolution phase when the world begins to form. Finding himself alone there for quite a long time, he perceives that he is the father of all this creation and that he is omnipotent. Later, when he becomes lonely, some other beings pass away as a result of the depletion of their merits, and they too perceive him as being the father of all that is. This process continues into the evolution phase, until finally some of these beings fall onto the forming earth. As beings become less materially subtle their kamma makes a layer of nutriment on the surface of the water due to the sun's heat. Once they begin to partake of this nutriment, they develop craving for it and their bodies become coarser and grosser, and eventually they split into sexes. Simultaneously their kamma causes molds and fungi and then plants to form, and then some degenerate into animals, and eventually everything balances out into a stable biological ecosystem in the continued evolution phase. Even the seven day creation has some credibility, as the celestial days are much, much longer in Mahabrahma (as it says in Abhidhamma).
Abhidhamma also explains that the world-system is destroyed by fire each time, at the dissolution phase, and that all beings in the world-system will be in the higher planes, mostly as Gods of Streaming Radiance (second jhana, higher achievement).
with metta
Sometimes no Buddhas arise in the world. Sometimes they do. When it happens, it is for the welfare and happiness of men, out of compassion for all creatures. For a long, long time he has been working to become a Buddha. He met other Buddhas along the way. And after his long striving he attains his final life, yet not without showing everyone else how to get there.
son of dhamma

Postby dhammapal » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:57 am

Wikipedia wrote:The Buddha told a story about a time when the Earth was not yet formed. The sentient beings in this time normally lived in the realm of Abhassara, in radiant light and nourished by celestial joy. Then came a time when the Earth was in the process of forming yet still uninhabitable. One of these beings in the Abhassara realm died (due to the exhaustion of his karma) and was reborn in the higher realm called the Brahma realm and lived alone in the palace there. From living alone for so long a time, this being grew distressed and longed for a companion.

He then uttered, "O, let it be that another being may come here and accompany me." At the same time as the utterance, a being in the Abhassara realm died (due to the exhaustion of his good karma) and was reborn in the Brahma realm as his follower, but in many ways, similar to his feature.

Seeing this happen, the Brahma being thought, "I am Brahma, Mahabrahma, the Almighty, Omniscient, the Lord of All, Creator, Master af all creatures. I am the source of all life, Father to everything which exists and will come to exist. These creatures are my creations. How can I conclude this? Because, just as I was thinking, "Let it be that another being may come here and accompany me", then my wish made that being come into existence."

Beings that came after thought the same thing. They worshipped and revered the Brahma because, "He was here even before I existed! Surely he is the Lord and Creator of All."
In the Brahma realm, the first being had longer and more powerful features than the latter coming beings. So, a probability existed that the latter being died in the Brahma realm, and then was reborn as a human. This human abandoned worldly affairs and became an ascetic, then by his devotion and practice, achieved the power to remember his one past life. As he recalled it, he came to the conclusion that creatures, including himself, are not eternal, had limited age, were vulnerable to change, but that Brahma is eternal, ageless, and changeless.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahmajala ... tic_belief

So the Buddha here was talking about a human like Jesus.

With metta / dhammapal.
dhammapal

Postby JesusLovesYou » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:29 pm

By the way, this is the oldest known painting of Jesus Christ.
The oldest surviving panel icon of Christ Pantocrator, encaustic on panel, c. 6th century.

I also found this...
"An old Brahman priest asked Buddha: "What should we do [to be saved]?

The Buddha answered, "....look for another Holy One who will come and help the world and all of you in the future."

Then the Brahman priest asked, "What will the characteristics of the Holy One be like?"

The Buddha answered him, "The Holy one who will keep the world in the future will be like this: In the palm of his hands and in the flat of his feet will be the design of a disk, in his side will be a stab wound; and his forehead will have many marks like scars. The Holy One will be the golden boat who will carry you over the cycle of rebirths all the way to the highest heaven [Nirvana]. Do not look for salvation in the old way [trying to merit salvation]; there is no salvation in it for sure. Quit the old way, and there will be a new spirit like the light of a lightening bug which will come down from the sky above to live in all of your hearts, and you will be victorious over all of your enemies. Nobody will be able to destroy you. If you die, you will not come back to be born in this world again. You will go to the highest heaven [Nirvana]".

Permission was granted to copy these Buddhist Scriptures regarding the prophecy of the Holy One (Jesus) from Wat Phra Sing in Chiang Mai Province. The person who gave permission was Phra Sriwisutthiwong in Bangkok. It is guaranteed that this copy is accurate according to the original, that there is no error in transmission, which is in the book of the district headman, the religious encyclopedia, volume 23, book #29. This inquiry was made on October 13, 1954 A.D. (Buddhist era 2497). Phra Sriwisutthiwong is the Deputy Abbot and Director of Wat Pho Museum, Wat Pho Temple, Thailand
http://www.freewebs.com/notjustnotes/bu ... ophecy.htm

Peace.
JesusLovesYou

Postby clw_uk » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:31 pm

Jesus grounded his teaching in the idea of a permanent self

this comes from grasping

grasping = dukkha

Jesus taught morality, but he did not know the truth of nature
“ Your mind is likewise blocked. But the right road awaits you still. Cast out your doubts, your fears and your desires, let go of grief and of hope as well, for where these rule , then the mind is their subject." Boetius
clw_uk

Postby Anicca » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:44 pm

clw_uk wrote:Jesus grounded his teaching in the idea of a permanent self
... Jesus taught morality, but he did not know the truth of nature

I am not sure we know much of what Jesus actually taught - his 12 disciples were pretty thick and did not seem to get it - what we know as the Christian church was started by Paul of Tarsus, who never was a disciple while Jesus was alive.

And the Buddha did not teach us to wait for a savior.

metta
Anicca

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:03 pm

JesusLovesYou wrote:...
"An old Brahman priest asked Buddha: "What should we do [to be saved]?

The Buddha answered, "....look for another Holy One who will come and help the world and all of you in the future."

Then the Brahman priest asked, "What will the characteristics of the Holy One be like?"

The Buddha answered him, "The Holy one who will keep the world in the future will be like this: In the palm of his hands and in the flat of his feet will be the design of a disk, in his side will be a stab wound; and his forehead will have many marks like scars. The Holy One will be the golden boat who will carry you over the cycle of rebirths all the way to the highest heaven [Nirvana]. Do not look for salvation in the old way [trying to merit salvation]; there is no salvation in it for sure. Quit the old way, and there will be a new spirit like the light of a lightening bug which will come down from the sky above to live in all of your hearts, and you will be victorious over all of your enemies. Nobody will be able to destroy you. If you die, you will not come back to be born in this world again. You will go to the highest heaven [Nirvana]".

Permission was granted to copy these Buddhist Scriptures regarding the prophecy of the Holy One (Jesus) from Wat Phra Sing in Chiang Mai Province. The person who gave permission was Phra Sriwisutthiwong in Bangkok. It is guaranteed that this copy is accurate according to the original, that there is no error in transmission, which is in the book of the district headman, the religious encyclopedia, volume 23, book #29. This inquiry was made on October 13, 1954 A.D. (Buddhist era 2497). Phra Sriwisutthiwong is the Deputy Abbot and Director of Wat Pho Museum, Wat Pho Temple, Thailand
http://www.freewebs.com/notjustnotes/bu ... ophecy.htm

Peace.
It is a crock.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby clw_uk » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:08 pm

Anicca wrote:
clw_uk wrote:Jesus grounded his teaching in the idea of a permanent self
... Jesus taught morality, but he did not know the truth of nature

I am not sure we know much of what Jesus actually taught - his 12 disciples were pretty thick and did not seem to get it - what we know as the Christian church was started by Paul of Tarsus, who never was a disciple while Jesus was alive.

And the Buddha did not teach us to wait for a savior.

metta

Ok if you want to be specific, from what we know of jesus through the texts of others he ....
“ Your mind is likewise blocked. But the right road awaits you still. Cast out your doubts, your fears and your desires, let go of grief and of hope as well, for where these rule , then the mind is their subject." Boetius
clw_uk

Postby JesusLovesYou » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:33 am

tiltbillings wrote:It is a crock.

Well, it could be possible that what was posted from the website it is a "crock", sir. Do you deny that the Buddha spoke this?

"But, Ānanda, if women had not obtained the Going-forth from the home life into homelessness in the doctrine and discipline made known by the Tathāgata, the holy life would have lasted long, the true Dhamma would have lasted 1,000 years. But now that they have gotten to go forth... this holy life will not last long, the true Dhamma will last only 500 years. Just as a clan in which there are many women and few men is easily plundered by robbers and thieves, in the same way, in whatever doctrine and discipline women get to go forth, the holy life does not last long... Just as a man might make an embankment in advance around a great reservoir to keep the waters from overflowing, in the same way I have set forth in advance the eight rules of respect for bhikkhunīs that they are not to transgress as long as they live." — Cv.X.1

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... .ch23.html

It seems to match as to why Jesus had to come to earth after 500 years, doesn't it?
Last edited by JesusLovesYou on Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
JesusLovesYou

Postby clw_uk » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:39 am

It seems to match as to why Jesus had to come to earth after 500 years, doesn't it?

Yet Jesus didnt Teach anything near Dhamma...
clw_uk

Postby Individual » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:09 am

This wonderful thread is proof of the great diversity of Buddhist views of Jesus Christ. :)
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Postby Reductor » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:14 am

Dear JLY:

Don't weary everyone here with your tripe. Seriously. Its a load.

Oh, and in order for Jesus to qualify as the Buddha's replacement, he'd have to have something to offer of the same caliber. But he hasn't anything more than some niceties, which pale in comparison to the Lord Buddha's systematic teachings for the cessation of suffering. Everything else that he did offer rest entirely upon his being the son of God; a claim rivaled by many of the more imbalanced patients of the local psych ward.
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

Reductor

Postby JesusLovesYou » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:18 am

"The time is here, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel."
--Mark 1:15

"The gospel is that Jesus Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that He was buried, and then He was resurrected on the third day."
--1Cor 15:1-4

"He was delivered over to death for our sins and then was raised to life to put us right with God. By faith in this, then, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand."
--Romans 4:25-5:2

"If you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with your heart you believe and are put right with God, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in Him will never be put to shame."
--Romans 10:9-11

"That which we have seen and heard we declare to you, that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ. We write these things to you that your joy may be full."
--1 John 1:3-4

Anyway, it is basically the job of Christians to spread the gospel. Just thought I would.
Happy New Year 2011
www.biblegateway.com
JesusLovesYou

Postby clw_uk » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:23 am

JesusLovesYou wrote:"The time is here, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel."
--Mark 1:15

"The gospel is that Jesus Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that He was buried, and then He was resurrected on the third day."
--1Cor 15:1-4

"He was delivered over to death for our sins and then was raised to life to put us right with God. By faith in this, then, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand."
--Romans 4:25-5:2

"If you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with your heart you believe and are put right with God, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in Him will never be put to shame."
--Romans 10:9-11

"That which we have seen and heard we declare to you, that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ. We write these things to you that your joy may be full."
--1 John 1:3-4

Anyway, it is basically the job of Christians to spread the gospel. Just thought I would.
Happy New Year 2011
http://www.biblegateway.com

And I can easily quote the Koran that says you will burn in hell for not accepting Islam, quoting a text doesn't prove anything
clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:35 am

Happy New Year 2011

Happy New Year, hope you had good Christmas :)
clw_uk

Postby Reductor » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:46 am

JesusLovesYou wrote:Anyway, it is basically the job of Christians to spread the gospel. Just thought I would.

Is it an hourly wage? Health benefits?

I can't decide if your over paid, JLY, or under paid. :lol:

You know, if you were to soften your heart to the good word of the Buddha, you might find that it enters into you - compelling you down the path of Nibbana.

Just a thought.
Last edited by Reductor on Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

Reductor

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:46 am

JesusLovesYou wrote:Anyway, it is basically the job of Christians to spread the gospel. Just thought I would
In the future, don't.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby plwk » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:00 pm

Anyway, it is basically the job of Christians to spread the gospel. Just thought I would...

Thank you for your efforts of sharing with us here and may the peace of the Lord be with you and your family always.
On that note...
The Gospel According to St Matthew Chapter 10-14
If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town.

I agree with the Bible on what 'religion' is supposed to be...
The Gospel According to St Matthew 25:36
I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

The Epistle of St James Chapter 1:27
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this:
to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

The Buddha's?
Dhammapada's Buddhavagga
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.

Amen! Sadhu!
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Postby pilgrim » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:32 pm

JLY
Mark16, verse 17-18: "And these signs will follow those who believe in my name. They shall cast out devils, they shall speak in tongues, they will handle snakes and if they drink poison it will not hurt them and they will lay hands on the sick and they will recover".

Maybe, if you can come back here to post after ingesting some cyanide, you might be more credible. :jedi:
pilgrim

Postby bodom » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:33 pm

pilgrim wrote:JLY
Mark16, verse 17-18: "And these signs will follow those who believe in my name. They shall cast out devils, they shall speak in tongues, they will handle snakes and if they drink poison it will not hurt them and they will lay hands on the sick and they will recover".

Maybe, if you can come back here to post after ingesting some cyanide, you might be more credible. :jedi:

Sounds oddly similar to some of the benefits of metta practice.

Monks, for one whose awareness-release through good will is cultivated, developed, pursued, handed the reins and taken as a basis, given a grounding, steadied, consolidated, and well-undertaken, eleven benefits can be expected. Which eleven?

"One sleeps easily, wakes easily, dreams no evil dreams. One is dear to human beings, dear to non-human beings.The devas protect one. Neither fire, poison, nor weapons can touch one. One's mind gains concentration quickly. One's complexion is bright. One dies unconfused and — if penetrating no higher — is headed for the Brahma worlds.

"These are the eleven benefits that can be expected for one whose awareness-release through good will is cultivated, developed, pursued, handed the reins and taken as a basis, given a grounding, steadied, consolidated, and well-undertaken."

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby rowyourboat » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:12 pm

This thread is really interesting.

Here's a challenge: if a Christian and a Buddhist were to be neighbours without declaring war on each other, what teaching in their respective traditions would they have to draw upon to get along?

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
rowyourboat

PreviousNext

Return to Open Dhamma