YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

The Arahats of Theravada and the Reliability of the Tipitaka - Dhamma Wheel

The Arahats of Theravada and the Reliability of the Tipitaka

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Ravana

The Arahats of Theravada and the Reliability of the Tipitaka

Postby Ravana » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:54 am

Last edited by Ravana on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The incomparable Wheel of Dhamma has been set in motion by the Blessed One in the deer sanctuary at Isipatana, and no seeker, brahmin, celestial being, demon, god, or any other being in the world can stop it.”

Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: The Arahats of Theravada and the Reliability of the Tipitaka

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:20 am

• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Ravana

Postby Ravana » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:30 am

Last edited by Ravana on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
“The incomparable Wheel of Dhamma has been set in motion by the Blessed One in the deer sanctuary at Isipatana, and no seeker, brahmin, celestial being, demon, god, or any other being in the world can stop it.”

Snowmelt

Postby Snowmelt » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:32 am

A trio of telling broadsides! :) I will follow with interest.

Ravana

Postby Ravana » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:48 am

My point was that the various accusations that are thrown as the traditional interpretations actually boil down to either the notion of what an Arahat is as described in the canon, or the historical accounts of the tradition. What I expected from the thread was ideas supporting/refuting these accusations. I think Ven. Pesala has raised an important point that ultimately, only practice will reveal the truth.

Rui Sousa

Postby Rui Sousa » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:01 pm

Many academics have their own background and they tend to see things from a specific point of view, I find it hard to see academics with a good conceptual understanding of Buddhism. I have either had contact or read texts from academics who see Buddhism as merely another offspring of the vedic tradition, and incurring in gross mistakes such as presenting Brahman as the "creator of life" in the Budhist tradition. (Read this last night in a translation of the Dhammapada)

The word of someone who has followed the path, even a Sotapanna, seems to me as more reliable than the word of someone who has just read about the path.
With Metta

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:05 pm

Rui Sousa

Postby Rui Sousa » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:23 pm

With Metta

Snowmelt

Postby Snowmelt » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:29 pm

Snowmelt

Postby Snowmelt » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:45 pm

To me it is a serious question as to what extent one should, having assiduously followed the advice of the Kalama Sutta and so determined for oneself that the Dhamma is efficacious and worthy of full devotion, just dive in, disregarding all external notions of truth and falsehood as hindrances to advancement, and practice, exclusively adopting the Dhamma itself as one's moral universe, examining the Dhamma itself according to its own exhortations and strictures. This is an idea I have been toying with recently: what have the Western notions of truth and falsehood, or perhaps better stated, the feverish promotion of the importance of truth and falsehood in the West ever done for me? The world is as full of lies as it ever was, and I am as helpless in their grip as anyone ever was - except for the escape the Dhamma offers. Bhikkhu Bodhi, if I recall correctly, has pointed out that the Kalama Sutta does *not* indicate that trust (we can also call it faith) is not required to follow the path: the Kalamas themselves were not followers of the Buddha at the time of its delivery, so the advice given to them is not the advice to be given to a follower of the Dhamma, one who has already accepted it into their heart. There is no hell waiting for one who does so, in my opinion: life can only get better. :)

Rui Sousa

Postby Rui Sousa » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:41 pm

With Metta

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”