YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Buying meat: akusala kamma? - Dhamma Wheel

Buying meat: akusala kamma?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Jechbi

Postby Jechbi » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:43 pm

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:50 pm

There is no killing in the eating of eggs. Vegetarians eat eggs (it is only vegans who do not eat eggs).

An unfertilized egg has no animal life in it.

What does "pre-cracked egg" mean? Does that mean fertilized or unfertilized? Most eggs sold are not fertile, so there is no issue unless you are a vegan.

Jechbi

Postby Jechbi » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Thanks, TheDhamma. I realize now that I should have used a more general title for this thread. It's not really about "pre-cracked eggs." Could a mod change it to something like: "Buying meat: akusala kamma?"

My understanding is that the eggs in question are cracked by someone else, thus someone else is being paid to "kill" the egg so that the pious Buddhist in Sri Lanka doesn't have to "kill" the egg himself. The purchaser is buying cracked eggs, so the purchaser doesn't have to worry about killing a baby chicken.

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Re: Buying meat: akusala kamma?

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:02 pm

Jechbi

Postby Jechbi » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:11 pm

True, but I think they're making the assumption that the eggs are fertilized. Otherwise you're right, it doesn't make much sense.

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:59 pm

The article by Peter Harvey (posted by Chris) is interesting and like most discussions on vegetarianism and Buddhism, focuses on the Vinaya and rules for monks. It may be true that many lay Theravadins do choose to eat meat and one reason may be that they feel monks are held to a higher standard and as the quote goes, something like, "if it's okay for them it sure must be for me." That may be a common sentiment, but I find that more attention must be given to what I buy, not because as a layman I have a higher standard (of course not), but rather that we have that choice at all. The Threefold rule appears to be mostly about not being choosy and graciously accepting what is offered, not denying the merit making for the lay people.

If everyone were Buddhist there would be no slaughterhouses and no meat available (who would do the killing), so by this fact alone, vegetarianism at least might be seen as an "ideal" or as Harvey puts it, "universally admired."

I understand that vegetarian Buddhists should not judge those who eat meat just as those who eat meat should not judge or condemn vegetarians; I am just noticing that in Suttas that are not just directed at monks and nuns, there are plenty of references to not killing or causing to kill. For some, this may mean trying to reduce the number of animals slaughtered in a way that feels appropriate. For others it is a matter of not directly killing or requesting another to kill.

The list about what breaks the First precept can be seen in a literal way, which is understandable and explained well by Bhikkhu Pesala and Bhante Dhammanando. For others the list may imply that certain actions and words might condone or defend killing. I don't know. Since I am not sure and certainly don't want to speak in praise of killing, when in doubt I figure if I am in error, let me err on the side of life. I'm making no judgments, just my opinion!

kc2dpt

Postby kc2dpt » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:05 am

- Peter

Jechbi

Postby Jechbi » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:07 pm

Prasadachitta

Postby Prasadachitta » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:20 pm

"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332

kc2dpt

Postby kc2dpt » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:21 pm

- Peter

Prasadachitta

Postby Prasadachitta » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:28 am

"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332

kc2dpt

Postby kc2dpt » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:40 am

- Peter

Prasadachitta

Postby Prasadachitta » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:13 am

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”