the great vegetarian debate

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Ben

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Post by Ben »

Hi Retro

It could also be this:

http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/fruit%20pages/miracle.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MIRACLE FRUIT, Synsepalum dulcificum
Although not sweet itself this miraculous fruit, consumed fresh and allowed to coat the mouth alters your tastebuds so that everything you eat tastes sweet, lasting for an hour or two.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Sweet
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
chownah

Post by chownah »

It sounds like a psychedelic drug whose action is specific to taste buds....the world will be a better place as soon as it is outlawed....
chownah
Lazy_eye

Post by Lazy_eye »

alan wrote:There is a new consensus in dietary science, and it does not support the low fat vegetarian approach.
Alan,

Could you explain more about this new scientific consensus?

The consensus I'm aware of is that saturated and (even worse) trans fats should be minimized, and a moderate amount of unsaturated fats encouraged. Vegetarian diets are not necessarily low-fat, and diets that include meat are not necessarily high-fat, so it's possible to eat healthfully either way depending on what you choose.

The "good" fats can be obtained from avocados, sunflower or flax seeds, soybeans, walnuts and other non-meat sources, as well as from poultry or fish. The meat sources, however, also contribute higher levels of "bad" fat, and that's especially true of red meat.

I'm a fan of sunflower seed butter. More nutritious than peanut butter, and it's really yummy.
manas

Post by manas »

chownah wrote:It sounds like a psychedelic drug whose action is specific to taste buds....the world will be a better place as soon as it is outlawed....
chownah
Hi chownah,
while I agree with you that messing with our already skewed perceptions is not good, I also remind you that those (mostly) corporate tools we supposedly elect to office called 'politicians' don't even have the slightest right to outlaw or prohibit any plant or fruit; these are all part of Nature, and it is up to individual human beings to know what the appropriate use of each plant is (should it be eaten, or not?). We don't need to be nannied by ninnies. At most they should just educate people if they think there is some risk to consuming any plant.

:namaste:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
morning mist

Post by morning mist »

Lazy_eye wrote:
alan wrote:There is a new consensus in dietary science, and it does not support the low fat vegetarian approach.
The consensus I'm aware of is that saturated and (even worse) trans fats should be minimized, and a moderate amount of unsaturated fats encouraged. ....
The "good" fats can be obtained from avocados, sunflower or flax seeds, soybeans, walnuts and other non-meat sources, as well as from poultry or fish. The meat sources, however, also contribute higher levels of "bad" fat, and that's especially true of red meat.

I'm a fan of sunflower seed butter. More nutritious than peanut butter, and it's really yummy.
Sunflow seed butter sounds tasty. Virgin olive oil is also one of the best sources of healthy fats.

Good fats

" Monounsaturated fats (MUFAs) lower total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol) while increasing HDL cholesterol (the good cholesterol). Nuts including peanuts, walnuts, almonds and pistachios, avocado, canola and olive oil are high in MUFAs. MUFAs have also been found to help in weight loss, particularly body fat. "

Bad fats

"Saturated fats raise total blood cholesterol as well as LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol). Saturated fats are mainly found in animal products such as meat, dairy, eggs and seafood. Some plant foods are also high in saturated fats such as coconut oil, palm oil and palm kernel oil."

Good fats
"Polyunsaturated fats also lower total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol. Seafood like salmon and fish oil, as well as corn, soy, safflower and sunflower oils are high in polyunsaturated fats. Omega 3 fatty acids belong to this group." - HealthCastle.com
with metta,
octathlon

Post by octathlon »

alan wrote:There is something you can add to your diet that will make you healthier and slimmer.
Could it be ... the right attitude? :
Donapaka Sutta wrote:When a person is constantly mindful, And knows when enough food has been taken, All their afflictions become more slender — They age more gradually, protecting their lives.
alan

Post by alan »

There are serious questions about the theory that saturated fats are the main culprit in the obesity epidemic, or that they contribute to heart disease. It is easy to research this.
I've been taking coconut oil for several years now and am much healthier for it. http://www.coconutoil.com/health_benefi ... ut_oil.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you want to remain stuck in old thought patterns, there is nothing I can do. If f you are open to new ideas, read this and try it for yourselves.
bodom

Post by bodom »

octathlon wrote:
alan wrote:There is something you can add to your diet that will make you healthier and slimmer.
Could it be ... the right attitude? :
Donapaka Sutta wrote:When a person is constantly mindful, And knows when enough food has been taken, All their afflictions become more slender — They age more gradually, protecting their lives.
Yes, moderation is the best medicine, the best supplement.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
alan

Post by alan »

Not entirely accurate. There are ways to improve your health. You can act on them.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

alan wrote: I've been taking coconut oil for several years now and am much healthier for it. http://www.coconutoil.com/health_benefi ... ut_oil.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you want to remain stuck in old thought patterns, there is nothing I can do. If f you are open to new ideas, read this and try it for yourselves.
Thanks for the info. How about coconut milk? What is your opinion about coconut milk? I like coconut curry (mixing curry powder with coconut milk) with my stir-fry foods.

I have heard that coconut is also good for people with thyroid problems.
alan

Post by alan »

By all means eat a coconut milk curry every day. Don't buy "lite" coconut milk--it's just been mixed with water, to assuage those still obsessed with their fat intake.
Some fats are good! I'll keep saying this until people believe it.
I discovered coconut oil when I was living in the Philippines. They treat it as a health food. Which it is.
alan

Post by alan »

The importance of medium chain triglycerides cannot be overstated. If you are serious about health, or have an entrenched position regarding the role of fats in the diet, you really need to understand this. But I can't do it for you. You will have to believe me, and look into this for yourself.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:Some fats are good! I'll keep saying this until people believe it.
As for coconut oil, soy isolate, MSM, Noni, garlic, eating meat, not eating meat, dairy product, etc., etc., etc., etc., educated opinions vary.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
alan

Post by alan »

Incorrect. And as usual, pointlessly contrarian.