the great vegetarian debate

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
corrine

Re: Celebrities : Super Famous Vegetarians

Post by corrine »

Having been a healthy vegetarian for decades, I can see so many positives in the vegetarian lifestyle - health, environmental, financial etc. - and I cannot see any positives to eating other sentient beings. Just because some vegetarians are basically evil, does not reflect on the lifestyle. Remember, many vegetarians adhere to the lifestyle not out of compassion toward other living creatures, but because they will benefit in some way.

What is the downside? How can the killing and eating of our fellow creatures ever be a good thing?

I, personally, have benefited in so many ways from abstaining from eating meat, poultry, fish etc. I am grateful that I was able to observe a slaughter house when I was young and impressionable. It changed my life for the better.

corrine :smile:
yawares

Re: Celebrities : Super Famous Vegetarians

Post by yawares »

corrine wrote:Having been a healthy vegetarian for decades, I can see so many positives in the vegetarian lifestyle - health, environmental, financial etc. - and I cannot see any positives to eating other sentient beings. Just because some vegetarians are basically evil, does not reflect on the lifestyle. Remember, many vegetarians adhere to the lifestyle not out of compassion toward other living creatures, but because they will benefit in some way.

What is the downside? How can the killing and eating of our fellow creatures ever be a good thing?

I, personally, have benefited in so many ways from abstaining from eating meat, poultry, fish etc. I am grateful that I was able to observe a slaughter house when I was young and impressionable. It changed my life for the better.

corrine :smile:

Dear "corrine",
I like your attitude...truly :thumbsup:
yawares
Hanzze

Re: David's Book: Vegetarians/Bhuddists Q/A

Post by Hanzze »

It would be good to have a lots of plants and trees in the future :tongue: wouldn't it?
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
yawares

Post by yawares »

Hanzze wrote:It would be good to have a lots of plants and trees in the future :tongue: wouldn't it?

Dear Hanzze,
Please tell me all popular fruits that Cambodian people love...What are your favorites trees/fruits/flowers??
yawares
Ron-The-Elder

Re: Was Buddha a vegetarian ?

Post by Ron-The-Elder »

David N. Snyder wrote:
David N. Snyder wrote: Diet of Buddha
97% vegetarian and about 72% vegan (I just counted the vegan references).

And based on the above, I think it is a win-win for both sides in the veg. debates. The vegetarians can say that the Buddha was 97% or almost completely vegetarian. And the omnivores can say that the fact that he ate some meat, any meat, shows that he did not ban it, nor is there the direct intention in regard to killing.
Can we say that Buddha was 100% Buddhist?....or must we give some credit to those Buddhist practices overlapping Brahmanism? As with the benefits of various moral practices, including "doing no harm", the dhamma is the dhamma no matter what the source or who or what deserves the credit for recognizing it. :hug: :group:
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Those which are nead :tongue: If I tell you about good fruits, you maybe would like to have them and they would cut more forest, till the lands make it to places without the possibility for any rebrith to get some benefit from it.

What fruits are growing next to you in your neigborhood?
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
yawares

Post by yawares »

Hanzze wrote:Those which are nead :tongue: If I tell you about good fruits, you maybe would like to have them and they would cut more forest, till the lands make it to places without the possibility for any rebrith to get some benefit from it.

What fruits are growing next to you in your neigborhood?

Dear Hanzze,
I'll post Thai fruits tomorrow...I think Thailand/Cambodia have same kind of exotic fruits :heart:
yawares
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Mind is the forerunner of all (good) conditions!

And its not a matter of which kind of pleasure one craves for, but that craving for pleasure is the cause of unpleasant results. For one self and for others.

Cambodians traditionally do not eat much fruits, just what the find next to them, seasonal food next to them. I guess it was not different some times ago in Thailand as well. Now we even can gain motorbikes and TV throught serving for the desire for pleasure of the world.

So good. They even start to eat more fruits, as they have more money jet and it does not depend on season and region any more. We live in a great world of compassion, arn't we. We even have zoo's and wildlife foundations now and animal founds.

From 70% forest to about 14% in only 30 years, but the export increases and we all are so wealth and even health now.

Does anybody know how old "buddist" the vegitarian boom is?
Just that! *smile*

Ron-The-Elder

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Post by Ron-The-Elder »

I think that I could have made Buddha into a vegan if I had introduced him to a Thai dish I have only found in Rochester, New York called : "Evil Prince in The Jungle". It is made with Thai egg plant, bean sprouts, rice noodles, chilly peppers, garlic, fresh basil, and minced onions. I don't believe onions and garlic were allowed, though. "Excellent Dish!" I don't really know why. :coffee:
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Hanzze wrote: Does anybody know how old "buddhist" the vegetarian boom is?
That is hard to say. Is there a boom? There does seem to be somewhat of an increased interest among convert Buddhists. There appears to have been some interest at least all the way back to Ashoka's time, which was very soon after the parinibbana of Buddha.
Ashoka's Edicts wrote: Those nanny goats, ewes and sows which are with young or giving milk to their young are protected, and so are young ones less than six months old. Cocks are not to be caponized, husks hiding living beings are not to be burnt and forests are not to be burnt either without reason or to kill creatures. One animal is not to be fed to another. On the three Caturmasis, the three days of Tisa and during the fourteenth and fifteenth of the Uposatha, fish are protected and not to be sold.

Formerly, in the kitchen of Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, hundreds of thousands of animals were killed every day to make curry. But now with the writing of this Dhamma edict only three creatures, two peacocks and a deer are killed, and the deer not always. And in time, not even these three creatures will be killed.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el386.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ron-The-Elder wrote:I think that I could have made Buddha into a vegan if I had introduced him to a Thai dish I have only found in Rochester, New York called : "Evil Prince in The Jungle". It is made with Thai egg plant, bean sprouts, rice noodles, chilly peppers, garlic, fresh basil, and minced onions. I don't believe onions and garlic were allowed, though. "Excellent Dish!" I don't really know why. :coffee:
I know you're joking since the Buddha followed the 3-fold rule, but "Evil Prince in the Jungle" ? :tongue:
Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder »

This WIKI seems to cover most points including "What Buddha said". Unfortunately what he said to Theravadins, Mahayana, and Vajrayanins seems to differ. That may explain the variations in opinion regarding the topic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_vegetarianism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :anjali:
What Makes an Elder? :
GraemeR

Post by GraemeR »

Spiny O'Norman wrote:
So if as Buddhists we choose to buy meat we are expecting somebody else to engage in wrong livelihood.

Spiny
Hmmm If I pay a hired assassin (slaughterman) to kill my wife in an abattoir, do I avoid culpability for her death? :broke:

A clear conscience and all that insurance money :clap:

Graham
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

GraemeR wrote:
Hmmm If I pay a hired assassin (slaughterman) to kill my wife in an abattoir, do I avoid culpability for her death? :broke:

A clear conscience and all that insurance money :clap:

Graham
the difference here is one is actively engaged in the process of the murder of the wife (in the example).
there is murderous intent.

but how many people go to the shops with the intent to kill an animal?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
GraemeR

Post by GraemeR »

Cittasanto wrote: the difference here is one is actively engaged in the process of the murder of the wife (in the example).

I'm not sure where you can draw the line, if I was a farmer with a pig and I took it to an abattoir to be slaughtered for me, then I know exactly what is going to happen and I am instructing someone to do it,

If I walk to work and stand on an ant, then it's clearly not intention to kill, if I go in a supermarket and buy meat, I know someone has to kill the animal on my behalf.

It may not be direct intention, but I know exactly what will have happened.

Maybe I could argue it's not my direct intention for the assassin to kill my wife, just for me to receive the insurance money :)

Graham
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

GraemeR wrote:
Cittasanto wrote: the difference here is one is actively engaged in the process of the murder of the wife (in the example).

I'm not sure where you can draw the line, if I was a farmer with a pig and I took it to an abattoir to be slaughtered for me, then I know exactly what is going to happen and I am instructing someone to do it,

If I walk to work and stand on an ant, then it's clearly not intention to kill, if I go in a supermarket and buy meat, I know someone has to kill the animal on my behalf.

It may not be direct intention, but I know exactly what will have happened.

Maybe I could argue it's not my direct intention for the assassin to kill my wife, just for me to receive the insurance money :)

Graham
The fact that there is no intent to kill is the line.
Knowing death happened and being the cause through intention are not the same, when you see fruit and veg the same has actually happened, animals and other life have been killed in the production.

also each factor should be in place = object (a living being) -> intention (to kill) -> Effort (to cause death) -> death (through effort)

lets put this into your wife example
object (your wife) -> intention (to kill) -> Effort (hiring an assassin to kill wife) -> death (of wife through assassins effort)
so long as the there is an intent to kill the object, and through an effort to kill the object when the object dies the full fault happens.

i know there is a certain amount of insects going to be in vegetarian food and I know they had to loose there life at some point in the production also. that doesnt stop me eating vegetarian food.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill