Buddhism makes you feel tired and rigid?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
DarwidHalim

Buddhism makes you feel tired and rigid?

Post by DarwidHalim »

Dear Members,

In one of the link, there is a reply like this
"Remember that the Buddha has the full view, he knew what is right what is wrong, don't apply your view on his teaching. If he said don't lie, then don't lie, if he said don't kill, then don't kill."

I don't say this is right or wrong because it depends on your personal choices.

There are people who see buddhism as a very rigid system.

What I want to see is the impact of this approach to your daily life?

Does buddhism (or after you adopt buddhism) make you in your daily life feel tired (ehhmm, may be not tired, but may be make you feel constrain, or stress)?

Or

It is on another way around, Buddhism makes you in your daily life feel more lively or more freedom?

The second question is

To your personal interpretation, is Buddhism rigid? A is A, B is B?
or in Buddhism, A can be B or C, B can be A or C?

This is just like, ehmmm may be survey and it is not about right and wrong. Just your view.

Thank you.
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!
Dan74

Re: Buddhism makes you feel tired and rigid?

Post by Dan74 »

People with inclination to rigid views will take a rigid approach to Buddhism. I don't think Buddhism is to blame.
_/|\_
ground

Post by ground »

DarwidHalim wrote: It is on another way around, Buddhism makes you in your daily life feel more lively or more freedom?
The path has not been taught to make one "feel better in daily life".

Kind regards
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Dan74 wrote:People with inclination to rigid views will take a rigid approach to Buddhism. I don't think Buddhism is to blame.
very true
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
DarwidHalim

Post by DarwidHalim »

Oh yes, I think I make it wrong because buddhism has so many schools with different interpretations.

It should be:

The second question is

To your personal interpretation, is Theravadan Buddhism rigid? A is A, B is B?
or in Theravadan Buddhism, A can be B or C, B can be A or C?
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

DarwidHalim wrote:Oh yes, I think I make it wrong because buddhism has so many schools with different interpretations.

It should be:

The second question is

Huh?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
ground

Post by ground »

DarwidHalim wrote:Oh yes, I think I make it wrong because buddhism has so many schools with different interpretations.

It should be:

The second question is

Thinking in terms of "Thervadan Buddhism" and "Non-Theravada Buddhism" would be a manifestation of "rigidity" for me.

"A" and "B", are those logical (dialectical) variables? If yes, then "A" cannot be "non-A".
In case "A" and "B" are epistemological variables then both "A" and "B" are dependent arisings and therefore their meaning depending on context and without context given they are indeterminable.

kind regards
plwk

Post by plwk »

Thus Have I Heard....It's easier to live with cats & Buddhism than online Buddhists....
chownah

Post by chownah »

My practice doesn't make me feel tired and rigid....buddhism is what they do at the local wat and I've been there a few times and it often makes me tired and sleepy....but not rigid.
chownah
santa100

Post by santa100 »

The opportunity to learn and practice Buddhism is the biggest blessing for me. If given a choice whether to be born a millionaire and yet never hears a Buddha's word versus a regular person and get to know the Dhamma, I'd pick the second option every time..

Ok, back to the analysis.
DarwidHalim wrote:
It's rather: If A, then B. Doesn't matter which school of Buddhism: Theravada, Mahayana, Vajrayana, Zen, etc.. there'll always be "hard" rules that never change. Ex: "If one conducts oneself in the way of greed, anger, and delusion, one will reap suffering as a result" or "If the N8P is practiced to fruition, it'll result in the end of dukkha", etc..

As far as whether A can be B or C, the closest thing I could think of is the different methods of meditation from different schools. Meditation, whether in term of tranquility or insight, can be implemented using different methods that are suitable to the individual: In-Out Breath, Vipassana, Koan/HoaTau, Tara visualization, Amitabha recitation, etc.. In that way, we could see that there's a certain degree of flexibility in term of the training methods. It's hard to find a religious system that is practical, effective, and robust like Buddhism. I strongly believe those who get to know, learn, and practice the Dhamma, in whatever school it is, must've done something right in their previous lives... :smile: