Sense of Urgency and Continuity of Practice

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
SamKR

Re: Sense of Urgency and Continuity of Practice

Post by SamKR »

DarwidHalim wrote:
SamKR wrote:Continuity of practice is very important, no doubt. But continuity of practice, I think, depends upon the degree of sense of urgency.

I must admit that I am not very regular in my practice. Sometimes I have acute sense of urgency which motivates to practice very seriously, but other times I get distracted (although during the period of distraction,I am aware that practice is important, it's just that I procrastinate).

So, my question for dhamma followers and meditators: what do you do for maintaining sense of urgency and continuity of practice? Or, is it the case that you don't need to do anything for both?
If you happen to be a procrastinator like me 8-), do you feel the sense of urgency at times? And how do you struggle with procrastination?

SamKR
How do you define practise? Do you mean it by doin sitting meditation or do some ritual?

If you can be aware in a relax and natural at every second, will you call it as practise?
For me practice means to make "effort" to follow the Buddha's teachings as in the Suttas, which includes sitting meditation too.
Being "aware in a relax and natural at every second" : Yes I would call it a part of practice.
SamKR

Re: Sense of Urgency and Continuity of Practice

Post by SamKR »

TMingyur wrote:
SamKR wrote: So, my question for dhamma followers and meditators: what do you do for maintaining sense of urgency and continuity of practice? Or, is it the case that you don't need to do anything for both?
If you happen to be a procrastinator like me 8-), do you feel the sense of urgency at times? And how do you struggle with procrastination?
I find "sense of urgency" isn't helpful at all since it fosters the illusion of there being something to get while time is running out. This may lead to tension and increase dukkha. Actually only non-dhamma has to be abandoned and this doesn't take time because it can be done every moment through renunciation and being aware of dhamma. Why urgency if one knows that there is nothing better to do than that because everything else is pointless? So even just doing nothing at all is better than pointless activities that enhance delusion.
Maybe that's true for some people, I agree. Or, maybe "sense of urgency" is not a perfect translation to "samvega". But it has helped me to give continuity of practice, and it does not cause any tension but fills me with joy and motivation to follow Dhamma. After I was first introduced to the Buddha's teachings I left the practice and was involved in different kind of spiritual practice. Later I was withdrawn to the Buddha's teachings again after I read a book which caused acute "samvega", and so started to take the teachings much seriously.
What is procastination? It is often equated with postponing activities that one wanted to do in the context of the dhamma. But what activities? Would one want to use the term "procastination" in the context of "not being aware", not being mindful? I feel "forgetfulness" would be the more appropriate term. But yes, as was already mentioned, mindfulness of death "naturally" entails mindfulness/being aware of dhamma.
Yes, in my case it is procrastination. Though it may sound funny, I sometimes procrastinate the task of "just being aware".