Ian Stevenson, Rebirth, and the Suttas

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Alexei

Re: Ian Stevenson, Rebirth, and the Suttas

Post by Alexei »

cooran wrote:Scientific Proof of Reincarnation - Dr. Ian Stevenson's Life Work
As far as I know Dr. Stevenson never asserted that he had proof of reincarnation. Even in this same interview:
  • Omni: In your new book you speak reprovingly of people easily persuaded by your evidence. Is your position that reincarnation can never really be demonstrated?

Stevenson: I don't think I rebuke anybody for being convinced by the evidence. All I say is that maybe they shouldn't believe on the basis of what's in that particular book, because the detailed case reports are in my other books. Essentially I say that the idea of reincarnation permits but doesn't compel belief. All the cases I've investigated so far have shortcomings. Even taken together, they do not offer anything like proof. But as the body of evidence accumulates, it's more likely that more and more people will see its relevance.
I just want to be honest. Sometimes he hadn't even a proper translators.
Sacha G

Post by Sacha G »

Hi Peter
Can I ask you (sincerely), what made you change your mind?
To me it's all the more curious, as I started a sceptic, now I'm a "believer" (if one wants to call me so).
Sacha
Pali and Theravada texts:
http://dhamma.webnode.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I dont know that I can point to any particular point in time Sacha. After , as I said , several decades of accepting the idea of post mortem Rebirth literally it just became less relevant. And at the same time I became more sensitive to the need of some others to insist on it. It clearly for some was an emotional need. A badge of belonging. A shibboleth. A means of separating sheep from goats.
Meanwhile the Buddhist teachers that I admired most like Ajahn Sumedho and Ajahn Munindo refused to be drawn on the issue at all either way.
Eventually I simply placed it on the back burner. ( and I mean that. I didnt have an emotional rejection thereof )
I then became more interested in supporting those who are drawn to Buddhist practice but do not identify with what is a matter of speculative belief.
I dont think anyone on DW whose opinion I would trust KNOWS the truth of the issue.
Last edited by PeterB on Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sacha G

Post by Sacha G »

Well
Of course, one cannot say if it's 100% true or 0%.
However, between the 2, there are possibilities.
If you're above 50% of probability, you can say, you tend to believe it. If it's below 50%, you can say you tend not to believe it. For me it's above, so I say, "i believe it", which doesn't mean I'm sure of it.
I don't think anyone is precisely on 50%, though I suppose one can be some days above and some days below.
;)
Pali and Theravada texts:
http://dhamma.webnode.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

If it could be shown to be 100% true. Or 100% untrue it would make no difference at all to my practice.
Which is I think what lies behind the refusal of those Ajahns to comment directly on the issue...they think that the vital thing is the practice and that the rest can wait.
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

I don't believe it, or not-believe it. But I do think the Buddha taught it, and for good reasons which become clear when you study the Suttas. There are tools for investigating experience taught within the Suttas as well which yield more immediate fruit other than the awareness of punabbhava.

In my opinion, believing and not-believing are mental habits and lazy ones at that. It's a way to stop learning by simply generalizing experience. Easy enough to fall into but also fairly easy to break when you catch yourself doing it.

M4
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

PeterB wrote: Which is I think what lies behind the refusal of those Ajahns to comment directly on the issue...they think that the vital thing is the practice and that the rest can wait.
Which Ajahns? Many do talk about rebirth (not making a value judgment, just noting that there are Ajahns who talk about rebirth).

Ajahn Brahm talks of rebirth and has praised Ian Stevenson's work:

http://www.understandwisdom.com/ajahn-b ... carnation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are other videos too, of Ajahn Brahm praising Ian Stevenson's works. (Again, not saying if this is good or bad, just noting).
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I was thinking of Ajahns Sumedho and Munindo who I had mentioned earlier David.

:anjali:
santa100

Post by santa100 »

I'm sure the Ajahns' insight is quite helpful, but if we can get the insight directly from the Buddha, wouldn't that be even better? For those who haven't read MN60, I'd strongly recommend this wonderful sutta in which the great Teacher analyzed in detail various "hot" topics like rebirth, kamma, etc..

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

santa100 wrote:I'm sure the Ajahns' insight is quite helpful, but if we can get the insight directly from the Buddha, wouldn't that be even better?
Something told to you, instead of you experiencing it for yourself isn't an insight.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Well, dont' forget the 3-step approach: read/listen ---> think/contemplate ---> practice. The suttas are there for a purpose..
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

Don't forget that history is filled with religions making stories up to deceive people and for people to deceive themselves. Evidence is the only thing that makes something true.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Jhana4 wrote:
Don't forget that history is filled with religions making stories up to deceive people and for people to deceive themselves. Evidence is the only thing that makes something true.
Have you read MN60? Are you saying MN60 and other suttas the products of "religions making stories up"?
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

No disrespect, but it seems that you might not understand the problems with circular reasoning
santa100

Post by santa100 »

No disrespect, you need to back up what you claim..