Samadhi leading to knowledge and vision?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Samadhi leading to knowledge and vision?

Postby starter » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:26 pm

Hi, just to share with you some new thought:

And what is the development of concentration that... leads to the attainment of knowledge & vision? There is the case where a monk attends to the perception of light and is resolved on the perception of brightness/luminousness [at any hour of the day]. Day [for him] is the same as night, night is the same as day. By means of an awareness open & unhampered, he develops a brightened mind. This is the development of concentration that, when developed & pursued, leads to the attainment of knowledge & vision. [http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sacca/sacca4/samma-samadhi/]

It seems that the perception of light can do wonders! Metta to all,

Starter
starter

Re: Samadhi leading to knowledge and vision?

Postby Nyana » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:20 pm

starter wrote:It seems that the perception of light can do wonders!

Ven. Anālayo, From Craving to Liberation: Excursions into the Thought-world of the Pāli Discourses:

A prominent antidote to sloth-and-torpor, mentioned on frequent occasions in the Pāli discourses, is the development of "perception of light," ālokasaññā, together with mindfulness and clear comprehension (e.g. DN I 71). Some discourses associate the expression "perception of light" with a mind that is "open," vivaṭa, and "uncovered," apariyonaddha, by day and by night, and indicate that such "perception of light" will lead to knowledge and vision (DN III 223). This suggests the expression "perception of light" to refer to the development of mental clarity.

Such a way of understanding finds support in the Vibhaṅga, which glosses "perception of light" as a perception that is "open," vivaṭa, "pure," parisuddha, and "clean," pariyodāta (Vibh 254).

All the best,

Geoff
Nyana

Postby BrownRice (Element) » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:10 am

starter wrote:And what is the development of concentration that... leads to the attainment of knowledge & vision?

Greetings Starter

The use of the term ñāṇadassanaṃ (knowing & seeing) here may not be the same as in other contexts, such as in the Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta, where the Buddha said:
As long as my knowing and seeing (ñāṇadassanaṃ) how things are, was not quite purified in these twelve aspects, in these three phases of each of the four noble truths, I did not claim in the world with its gods, its Maras and high divinities, in this generation with its monks and brahmans, with its princes and men to have discovered the full Awakening that is supreme. But as soon as my knowing and seeing how things are, was quite purified in these twelve aspects, in these three phases of each of the four noble truths, then I claimed in the world with its gods, its Maras and high divinities, in this generation with its monks and brahmans, its princes and men to have discovered the full Awakening that is supreme. Knowing and seeing arose in me thus: 'My heart's deliverance is unassailable. This is the last birth. Now there is no renewal of being.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .nymo.html

In the context of the Samadhi Sutta, I have heard it said ñāṇadassanaṃ here is related to the development of the Divine Eye & Divine Ear.

All the best

Brownie
BrownRice (Element)

Postby rowyourboat » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:45 pm

Hi starter,

Bit of a mystery this sutta portion. I often wondered whether it was a mistake, as the aloka-sanna was often quoted in reference to overcoming sleepiness in the rest of the dhamma vinaya. Nevertheless it is a little gem of a sutta.

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
rowyourboat

Return to Theravada Meditation