Commentary on the 51 Mental Factors?

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Commentary on the 51 Mental Factors?

Postby Concordiadiscordi » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:00 pm

Greetings.

I am currently seeking out a decent commentary on the 51 mental factors listed within the yogācāra abhidharma. Even better would be a commentary on the 100 dharmas of Vasubandhu. I am currently in possession of three works (viz, "Know Your Mind" by Sangharakshita, "Living Yogacara" by Tagawa Shun'ei, and "Shastra on the Door to Understanding the Hundred Dharmas" by Master Hua), but I wanted to know whether there might not be a single volume containing a balanced exposition of the 51 mental factors (or the 100 dharmas) which is neither too pedantic nor too vague or simplistic. Scholarly tomes such as "Buddhist Phenomenology" are certainly not what I am looking for, and neither are watered-down introductory texts intended for general audiences. On the contrary, what I am looking for is a penetratingly detailed analysis crafted specifically for the serious practitioner, preferably authored by a seasoned practitioner.

I might be asking too much, but it is worth a shot.

I am hoping that somebody might be able to point me in a promising direction!

Thanks.
Winding paths,
Forever criss-crossing in
Ways unforeseen.
Who could say from
Whence they have come
Or wither they shall lead?
Irrevocably perched upon a
Groundless foothold,
Bearing witness to the
Traceless passage of an
Empty breeze...

Here sighs the wind,
And I too with it...
Concordiadiscordi

Re: Commentary on the 51 Mental Factors?

Postby daverupa » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:59 pm

Probably you'll have better luck over at the other side of the coin:

http://www.dharmawheel.net
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Return to Abhidhamma