Vedanā at eye-base

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries
Alex123

Vedanā at eye-base

Post by Alex123 »

Dear All,

It is said that vedanā that is experienced at eye-base is only neutral. What happens when we look directly at the sun? It feels painful. If I put any other body part, such as an arm, it does feel bad. It can actually be felt as warm and pleasant. But if I look at the sun, there is unpleasant experience. Can somebody explain this please?

With best wishes,

Alex
Caraka

Re: Vedanā at eye-base

Post by Caraka »

Would it not be natural to differ between mind-based experience through the eyes and the pain from body through eyes?
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

EDIT: Caraka beat me to it. Yes, that's right.
Alex123 wrote: It is said that vedanā that is experienced at eye-base is only neutral. What happens when we look directly at the sun? It feels painful. If I put any other body part, such as an arm, it does feel bad. It can actually be felt as warm and pleasant. But if I look at the sun, there is unpleasant experience. Can somebody explain this please?
Because when you look at the sun, the overstimulated burning retina makes pain signals, as well as sending the regular eye-sense data to the brain as normal.
It's not eye-base vedana you are feeling in your eyes. Eye base vedana is refers to the visual data.
The stabbing pain sensation you feel in your eyes is body-base vedana. An actual sensation of physical, bodily pain, as your retina screams "Too much light!"
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

Alex, stop looking at the sun.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Thank you for answers.
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Alex123 wrote:Aren't ?

So seeing and feeling are all mental. Right?
Здравствуйте,

if we analyse like that, in the term of "all feelings (vedanā) experienced in the mind" we must say that there is no pain, there is just feeling of distruction of retina.
If our mind is good trained, we can look at the sun, until our eye will be distroyed, but the mind will not feel pain, but will contemplain the retina distruction. The last eye-contemplaition :spy:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
UhBaUnTaUh

Post by UhBaUnTaUh »

Namo Buddhānaṁ.

Hello Dear All --Is it proper that I use this phase ?,

Eyes base vedanā only rise at retina and always accompanied indiffernce (neither-pain-nor-pleasure but it is bad experience by eyes sense) but eyes painful is base on muscle, or surface skin of the eyes.

You can notice this effect by yourself.

When you look at the sun...

1, people habit (uppanissayapaccaya) always froce contract your muscle. Mahābūtasūpa ,except Āpo, in all muscle will hard hit themselves.

2. Your surface skin of the eyes and all of sunshiny organs in the eyes will burn by Tejo Mahābūtasūpa of the sunlight.

I hope that all may be enough to explain your question.

I wish y'all happy.
Parking this account.

I have been moved to another account.
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Alex123 wrote:Dear All,

It is said that vedanā that is experienced at eye-base is only neutral. What happens when we look directly at the sun? It feels painful. If I put any other body part, such as an arm, it does feel bad. It can actually be felt as warm and pleasant. But if I look at the sun, there is unpleasant experience. Can somebody explain this please?

With best wishes,

Alex

Pain?

Is the vedana that is experiansed (better arising) at the skinbase (heat, here the contact on the skin/surface of the eye) not neutral as well?
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

James the Giant wrote:Alex, stop looking at the sun.
:jumping:
Buddha save me from new-agers!