Abhidhamma View : Determination

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries
yawares

Abhidhamma View : Determination

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

:candle: Abhidhamma View : Determination :candle:
[Presented by Dr.Tep Sastri @ sariputtadhamma/JTN]

A Pali dictionary shows two Pali words that mean determination: adhi.t.thaana and adhimokha. Adhi.t.thaana is listed as one of the Ten Perfections (Paaramii): Giving(daana), Virtue(siila), Renunciation(nekkhamma), Wisdom(pa~n~naa), Energy(viriya), Patience(khanti), Truthfulness(sacca), Determination(adhi.t.thaana), Lovingkindness(mettaa), Equanimity(upekkhaa).

Another rendition of 'adhimokha' is resolution, the act of resolving. No success in the Dhamma practice can be expected without the determination to develop wholesome qualities (kusala dhamma) and abandon unwholesome things.

"Determination is stated immediately after truthfulness; (a) because truthfulness is perfected by determination, since abstinence (from falsehood) becomes perfect in one whose determination is unshakeable; (b) having first shown non-deception in speech, to show next unshakeable commitment to one's word, for a bodhisattva devoted to truth proceeds to fulfill his vows of giving, etc., without wavering; and (c) to show, right after the veracity of knowledge, the complete accumulation of the requisites of enlightenment (bodhisambhaara); for one who knows things 'as they really are' determines upon the requisites of enlightenment and brings them to completion by refusing to vacillate in the face of their opposites."
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... .html#fn-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-------
The Visuddhimagga ( XIV, 151) gives the following definition of determination: "The act of resolving is resolution. It has the characteristic of conviction. Its function is not to grope. It is manifested as decisiveness. Its proximate cause is a thing to be convinced about. It should be regarded as like a boundary-post owing to its immovableness with regard to the object." And the "Paramattha Manjusa", the commentary to the Visuddhimagga, states that the act of resolving should be understood as the act of being convinced about an object.
-------
Ptsm I: 26. Resolution(adhimokkha) as the meaning of the faith faculty is to be directly known.
Ptsm V: 56. When he gives attention as impermanent, his cognizance has great resolution. When he gives attention as painful, his cognizance has great tranquillity. When he gives attention as not-self, his cognizance has great wisdom.

--------
Right Resolve (or Right Intention, samma-sankappa) is the second of the eight path factors in the Noble Eightfold Path, and it belongs to the wisdom division of the path. "... what is right resolve? Being resolved on renunciation, on freedom from ill-will, on harmlessness: This is called right resolve." [SN 45.8]
--------
So it is seen that Determination is extremely important to every earnest Buddhist, not only to a Bodhisattva.
*************** :anjali:
:heart: Love Buddha's dhamma,
yawares/sirikanya
:heart:
vishy89

Re: Abhidhamma View : Determination

Post by vishy89 »

To understand Adhitthana in the context of meditation I suggest readers attend one or more 10 day Vipassana course http://www.dhamma.org/conducted by sri S.N.Goenkaji. Sit with your spine erect, close your eyes,. Don't unlock your hands and feet for an hour or more. Bear with all discomfort with equanimity. All unpleasant sensations so borne with attenuates dosa, hatred. All pleasant sensations during meditation which is borne with equanimity attenuates raga craving, all gross sensations cures you of Moha, Ignorance. Go thr' and experience.
Metta
yawares

Post by yawares »

vishy89 wrote:To understand Adhitthana in the context of meditation I suggest readers attend one or more 10 day Vipassana course http://www.dhamma.org/conducted by sri S.N.Goenkaji. Sit with your spine erect, close your eyes,. Don't unlock your hands and feet for an hour or more. Bear with all discomfort with equanimity. All unpleasant sensations so borne with attenuates dosa, hatred. All pleasant sensations during meditation which is borne with equanimity attenuates raga craving, all gross sensations cures you of Moha, Ignorance. Go thr' and experience.
Metta
Dear "vishy89",

Thank you very much for your suggestion.
yawares :anjali:
yawares

Post by yawares »

vishy89 wrote:To understand Adhitthana in the context of meditation I suggest readers attend one or more 10 day Vipassana course http://www.dhamma.org/conducted by sri S.N.Goenkaji. Sit with your spine erect, close your eyes,. Don't unlock your hands and feet for an hour or more. Bear with all discomfort with equanimity. All unpleasant sensations so borne with attenuates dosa, hatred. All pleasant sensations during meditation which is borne with equanimity attenuates raga craving, all gross sensations cures you of Moha, Ignorance. Go thr' and experience.
Metta
Dear "vishy89",
I think I should tell you the truth...I'm always afraid to sit meditation..I fear I might go crazy like some bhikkhus/meditators that I've heard..some turned out ok..some were beyond help even under supervision of the great Thera Mun....A bhikkhu announced that he attained arahatship, later he had to disrobe because he felt his robe was on fire all the time...nobody could help him, he disrobed and went away..nobody heard of him ever again.

I love to walk meditation at 5 AM and late at night when the street in front of my house is empty...nobody there..except me and my husband (my husband can sit/walk meditation for a long time...more often than me/he said he would take me with him if he achieved something big).

Truly appreciate your meditation method, :thanks:
yawares(airhead/scary cat) :tongue: :jumping:
vishy89

Post by vishy89 »

Life is so absorbing, enchanting and engulfing. Good luck to you. Learn Anapana Sati to begin with. Purify your ditthi. Keep smiling, be gentle in speech and action and follow essential Sila.
Metta
yawares

Post by yawares »

vishy89 wrote: Life is so absorbing, enchanting and engulfing. Good luck to you. Learn Anapana Sati to begin with. Purify your ditthi. Keep smiling, be gentle in speech and action and follow essential Sila.
Metta
Dear "vishy89",

Thank you very much for your advice,I'll try my very best..I really want to go to heaven.. :heart: TAVATIMSA would be real nice :heart:
:anjali: Thera Nagasena/King Milinda were at TAVATIMSA before their re-incarnation :anjali: .

Today is Uposatha Day..and I'll strictly observe 8 precepts..just imagine.. Yawares without makeup/lipstick/movie/music :tongue:
But I'm happy to uphold 8 precepts/walking meditation with my husband who promise that he will never leave me behind.

:heart: Truly appreciate your kind advice :heart:
yawares :anjali:
theY

Post by theY »

Valuable post!

Thank you.
Above message maybe out of date. Latest update will be in massage's link.
--------------------------------------------------
Tipitaka memorization is a rule of monks. It isn't just a choice. They must done it.
bahussuto nāma tividho hoti – nissayamuccanako, parisupaṭṭhāpako, bhikkhunovādakoti.
http://UnmixedTheravada.blogspot.com/20 ... monks.html