Abhidhamma View : "I am a learner"

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Abhidhamma View : "I am a learner"

Postby yawares » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:40 pm

Dear Members,

:candle: Abhidhamma View : "I am a learner" :candle:
[Presented by Dr.Tep Sastri @ SD/JTN]

1) The bottom line of Stream-entry is fully-accomplished virtues with total ending of the first three fetters. A Stream-winner is the first kind of learners (Sekha: trainer or initiate).

"There is the case where a monk is fully accomplished in virtue, partially accomplished in concentration, and partially accomplished in discernment. With reference to the lesser and minor training rules, he falls into offenses and rehabilitates himself. Why is that? Because it is not said to be disqualification (for the noble attainments). But as for the training rules that are basic to the holy life and proper to the holy life, his virtue is permanent, his virtue is steadfast. With the total ending of [the first] three fetters, he is a Stream-winner, steadfast, never again destined for states of woe, headed for self-awakening." [AN 3.87]

2) What are other criteria one may use to tell, "I am a learner" ?

[SN 48.53 Sekha Sutta:] "And what is the manner of reckoning whereby a monk who is a learner, standing at the level of a learner, can discern that 'I am a learner'? There is the case where a monk is a learner. He discerns, as it actually is, that 'This is stress... This is the origination of stress... This is the cessation of stress... This is the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress.' This is a manner of reckoning whereby a monk who is a learner, standing at the level of a learner, can discern that 'I am a learner.'

"Furthermore, the monk who is a learner reflects, 'Is there outside of this [doctrine & discipline] any brahman or contemplative who teaches the true, genuine, & accurate Dhamma like the Blessed One?' And he discerns, 'No, there is no brahman or contemplative outside of this doctrine & discipline who teaches the true, genuine, & accurate Dhamma like the Blessed One.' This too is a manner of reckoning whereby a monk who is a learner, standing at the level of a learner, can discern that 'I am a learner.'

"Furthermore, the monk who is a learner discerns the five faculties: the faculty of conviction... persistence... mindfulness... concentration... discernment. He sees clear through with discernment their destiny, excellence, rewards, & consummation, but he does not touch them with his body. This too is a manner of reckoning whereby a monk who is a learner, standing at the level of a learner, can discern that 'I am a learner.'
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

The "touching with his body" --in contrast to penetrating with wisdom-- is worth our careful noting, isn't it?

:heart: Love Buddha's dhamma,
yawares/sirikanya :heart:
yawares

Return to Abhidhamma