Sakvala

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries
Nicholas Weeks

Sakvala

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

What is the language of Sakvala?

It means something like universe or solar system, but where can I find online more details?
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Dhammanando

Re: Sakvala

Post by Dhammanando »

Will wrote:What is the language of Sakvala?

It means something like universe or solar system, but where can I find online more details?
Sakavala is the Sinhalese and Indonesian form of the word. If you want English language materials you'd be better off searching for the Pali cakkavāḷa or cakkavāla, or the Sanskrit cakravāḷa or cakravāḍa or cakravāla.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Dhammanando wrote:
Will wrote:What is the language of Sakvala?

Sakavala is the Sinhalese and Indonesian form of the word. If you want English language materials you'd be better off searching for the Pali cakkavāḷa or cakkavāla, or the Sanskrit cakravāḷa or cakravāḍa or cakravāla.
Thank you very much Venerable! But not having much education I do not understand "Sinhalese and Indonesian form of the word" ? Is Sinhalese the language of Indonesia as well as Sri Lanka?
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Will wrote:Thank you very much Venerable! But not having much education I do not understand "Sinhalese and Indonesian form of the word" ? Is Sinhalese the language of Indonesia as well as Sri Lanka?
It's not that Sinhalese is the language of Indonesia, but that both languages have a great number of Sanskrit loanwords, one of which is cakravāḷa. Otherwise they are not at all alike, belonging as they do to entirely different language familes: Sinhalese to the Indo-European, and Indonesian (or Bahasa Indonesia) to the Austronesian.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

I’ve just checked with the dictionary and it turns out my memory was deceiving me about the form of the Indonesian word. It’s actually ‘cakrawala’. Attached are the dictionary entries for both forms.
Attachments
1sin.jpg
1sin.jpg (311.45 KiB) Viewed 2767 times
1ind.jpg
1ind.jpg (193.25 KiB) Viewed 2767 times
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

For your help Venerable :bow: :bow: :bow:

I did look up the Sanskrit & Pali forms and it turns out to be just another name for the Three Worlds - thanks again.