A comprehensive manual of abhidhamma by Bhikkhu Bodhi online

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

pt1
Posts: 415
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:30 am

A comprehensive manual of abhidhamma by Bhikkhu Bodhi online

Postby pt1 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:59 am

Hi all, I was real glad to find full CMA by Bhikkhu Bodhi available online for free on google books here .
Best wishes

User avatar
Rui Sousa
Posts: 366
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:01 pm
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Location: Sintra, Portugal
Contact:

Re: A comprehensive manual of abhidhamma by Bhikkhu Bodhi online

Postby Rui Sousa » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:30 pm

Thank you so much.
With Metta

User avatar
Ben
Site Admin
Posts: 16348
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001
Location: Land of the sleeping gods
Contact:

Re: A comprehensive manual of abhidhamma by Bhikkhu Bodhi online

Postby Ben » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:30 pm

Thank you pt1 for pointing out this valuable work.
I have a hardcopy of ACM which has been an invaluable reference. I recommend the work thoroughly for anyone who wishes to know a little of the Abhidhamma.
Metta

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia
e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com

User avatar
Kare
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:58 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: A comprehensive manual of abhidhamma by Bhikkhu Bodhi online

Postby Kare » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:23 am

Ben wrote:Thank you pt1 for pointing out this valuable work.
I have a hardcopy of ACM which has been an invaluable reference. I recommend the work thoroughly for anyone who wishes to know a little of the Abhidhamma.
Metta

Ben


Agreed. If I should have to pick ONE book to bring to a desert island, this would be the one.
Mettāya,
Kåre

User avatar
Dhammakid
Posts: 366
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:09 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Location: Georgia, USA

Re: A comprehensive manual of abhidhamma by Bhikkhu Bodhi online

Postby Dhammakid » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:38 am

This is great. I have been searching for an easy-to-read introduction to Abhidhamma principles, and this looks to work just fine - and for free!

:namaste:
Dhammakid

User avatar
phil
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:08 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6
Location: Tokyo

Re: A comprehensive manual of abhidhamma by Bhikkhu Bodhi online

Postby phil » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:44 am

Hi all

I've heard that novice bhikkhus in Myanmar learn this compendium by heart to begin their studies. Has anyone ever come across a recording of bhikkhus reciting it? I think listening to that would be a great way to internalize it and it's concise enough to make it possible.

Metta,

Phil
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)

User avatar
Kare
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:58 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: A comprehensive manual of abhidhamma by Bhikkhu Bodhi online

Postby Kare » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:24 pm

phil wrote:Hi all

I've heard that novice bhikkhus in Myanmar learn this compendium by heart to begin their studies. Has anyone ever come across a recording of bhikkhus reciting it? I think listening to that would be a great way to internalize it and it's concise enough to make it possible.

Metta,

Phil


Learning it by heart is a very good practice. A few years ago I learnt chapter 1 and part of chapter 2 by heart, and recited it to myself every day. But it takes time - and the more you have learnt, the more time it takes to maintain it - so after a while I quit. I found, however, that by knowing ch. 1 by heart, I gradually got a deeper understanding of the contents than I could have reached just by reading it through. One of these days I hope to be able to take it up again ...
Mettāya,
Kåre

User avatar
phil
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:08 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6
Location: Tokyo

Re: A comprehensive manual of abhidhamma by Bhikkhu Bodhi online

Postby phil » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:18 am

Kare wrote:
phil wrote:Hi all

I've heard that novice bhikkhus in Myanmar learn this compendium by heart to begin their studies. Has anyone ever come across a recording of bhikkhus reciting it? I think listening to that would be a great way to internalize it and it's concise enough to make it possible.

Metta,

Phil


Learning it by heart is a very good practice. A few years ago I learnt chapter 1 and part of chapter 2 by heart, and recited it to myself every day. But it takes time - and the more you have learnt, the more time it takes to maintain it - so after a while I quit. I found, however, that by knowing ch. 1 by heart, I gradually got a deeper understanding of the contents than I could have reached just by reading it through. One of these days I hope to be able to take it up again ...


Hi Kare

Yes, I think I'll stick to certain sections only, selected by lobha just for me! :smile:

I'm currently memorizing some Dhammapada passages. I find the impact of this very interesting. I find when we have internalized impressive Dhamma passages, they become the sound track of our lives, they are always running. It gives me a sense of having had my life become completely devoted to the Dhamma. Also, it gives the mind something wholesome to feed on, more wholesome than the usual sense objects that it is addicted to. In a way I find it plays a role vaguely akin to the solid post in that SN 35 sutta, where the six animals lie down by the post that represents mindfulness in the body. Of course it's nowhere as solid as that, but it's somewhat akin I think.


Metta,

Phil
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)

User avatar
puthujjana
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:13 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Contact:

Re: A comprehensive manual of abhidhamma by Bhikkhu Bodhi online

Postby puthujjana » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:32 am

Are there any differences between the Pariyatti Publishing Edition and the International Edition one can order directly from the BPS, except the different cover designs?
"Once you understand anatta, then the burden of life is gone. You’ll be at peace with the world. When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness and we can truly be happy."
- Ajahn Chah

User avatar
Ben
Site Admin
Posts: 16348
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001
Location: Land of the sleeping gods
Contact:

Re: A comprehensive manual of abhidhamma by Bhikkhu Bodhi online

Postby Ben » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:13 pm

Hi Putthujana
I would be surprised if there were any substantial differences.
Kind regards

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia
e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com

Individual
Posts: 1970
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:19 am

Re: A comprehensive manual of abhidhamma by Bhikkhu Bodhi online

Postby Individual » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:27 pm

pt1 wrote:Hi all, I was real glad to find full CMA by Bhikkhu Bodhi available online for free on google books here .
Best wishes

Thanks!!
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra

User avatar
Ngawang Drolma.
Posts: 805
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:38 pm

Re: A comprehensive manual of abhidhamma by Bhikkhu Bodhi online

Postby Ngawang Drolma. » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:40 pm

Thanks pt1! I hope it's okay to put this link here, I'd like to add another. Ben gave me this link a long time ago and I love it.

Abhidhamma in Daily Life

:anjali:

User avatar
puthujjana
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:13 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Contact:

Re: A comprehensive manual of abhidhamma by Bhikkhu Bodhi online

Postby puthujjana » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:42 pm

Ben wrote:Hi Putthujana
I would be surprised if there were any substantial differences.
Kind regards

Ben


Thank you very much Ben.

:anjali:
"Once you understand anatta, then the burden of life is gone. You’ll be at peace with the world. When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness and we can truly be happy."
- Ajahn Chah

User avatar
mikenz66
Posts: 10788
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:37 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001
Location: New Zealand

Re: A comprehensive manual of abhidhamma by Bhikkhu Bodhi online

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:13 am

Ngawang Drolma wrote:Thanks pt1! I hope it's okay to put this link here, I'd like to add another. Ben gave me this link a long time ago and I love it.

Abhidhamma in Daily Life

I have found it useful to read Nina's book, Abhidhamma In Daily Life, in parallel with A Comprehensive Manual of Abhidhamma.
There is a newer version, in format suitable for printing, here:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/3918055/Abhid ... Daily-Life

Metta
Mike

User avatar
Ben
Site Admin
Posts: 16348
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001
Location: Land of the sleeping gods
Contact:

Re: A comprehensive manual of abhidhamma by Bhikkhu Bodhi online

Postby Ben » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:40 am

Dear friends

The discussion on the merits of printing e-books as opposed to buying hardcopy books has been split from this thread and relocated in the lounge.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1781

Out of respect for the original poster and those who are seeking to find or discuss the online edition of CMA, I ask that our posts stay on topic.
Thanks for your cooperation.

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia
e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com


Return to “Abhidhamma”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests