Which sutta is this from?

A forum for members who wish to develop a deeper understanding of the Pali Canon and associated Commentaries, which for discussion purposes are both treated as authoritative.

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Which sutta is this from?

Postby perkele » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:16 pm

Hello!
I am searching for a sutta where the Buddha, speaks (among other things I guess) about the perils of fatalism.
He says something to the extent that if someone thinks "I have done this or that bad deed. Therefore surely I will go to hell", if he does not abandon that view then, "as if carried away", or something, he would, with the breakup of the body, reappear in hell.
Googling for the latter phrase just brought up the Maha-Sinanda-Sutta. And otherwise I don't really know the wording or any specific phrase to search by. It would be great if someone had an idea which Sutta I am talking about. I am quite sure I have read it and I would like to read it again.
Regards
perkele
perkele

Re: Which sutta is this from?

Postby daverupa » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:20 pm

Probably SN 42.8:

"[The thought occurs to him,] 'Our teacher holds this doctrine, holds this view: 'All those who steal... All those who indulge in illicit sex... All those who tell lies are destined for a state of deprivation, are destined for hell.' There are lies that I have told. I, too, am destined for a state of deprivation, am destined for hell.' He fastens onto that view. If he doesn't abandon that doctrine, doesn't abandon that state of mind, doesn't relinquish that view, then as if he were to be carried off, he would thus be placed in hell."
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Re: Which sutta is this from?

Postby perkele » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:50 pm

Thanks!
:anjali:
perkele

Return to Classical Theravāda