Core teachings

A forum for members who wish to develop a deeper understanding of the Pali Canon and associated Commentaries, which for discussion purposes are both treated as authoritative.

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Re: Core teachings

Postby Mkoll » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:07 am

Eightfolder wrote:I don't think anything happens when we die. We just die. No spirit, no energy, no consciousness, no substance or non-substance rises up and places itself anywhere else. I just fail to see any kind of evidence for this. Of course, since I haven't died yet I can't really say with 100% certainly, right?

Right. And if your idea is correct, you'll never be able to say with 100% certainty because you'll be dead. :tongue:

And that's the hallmark of unenlightened existence, isn't it? Death and its aftermath remain a mystery.

Frankly, I have enough trouble trying to figure out how to reduce the amount of "ME" in everything (anatta) considering I have just used the "I" about ten times. How in such a highly individualized culture with values at the core of "ME" do we reduce our "I-ness"? I even know the answer to that question. Sit. Sit. Sit some more.

:twothumbsup:
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Previous

Return to Classical Theravāda