A good start to reading the sutta's

A forum for members who wish to develop a deeper understanding of the Pali Canon and associated Commentaries, which for discussion purposes are both treated as authoritative.

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

A good start to reading the sutta's

Postby greeneggsandsam » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:59 am

Hi all,

I am interested in reading some of the original sutta's and wondering where a good place to look would be?

I am new to all this so forgive me if I make any silly mistakes... :)

As I understand the Pali Canon is split up into different books/sections?

I am looking for a translation also, I can't read Pali!!!

I found this, what do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/Dhammapada-Transl ... pd_sim_b_7

Again I have never read any of the original (translated) texts, so where do beginners usually start?

On a side note - I know they have most of the sutta's online, but I am not a big fan of reading too much material online, it makes my eyes hurt :shock:

Thanks!!
greeneggsandsam

Re: A good start to reading the sutta's

Postby culaavuso » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:03 am

In the Buddha's Words contains a number of discourses from the Pali Canon translated by Bhikkhu Bodhi and organized helpfully in a format matching the general outline of the gradual training given in the suttas themselves.
culaavuso

Postby bodom » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:23 am

Befriending the Suttas: Tips on Reading the Pali Discourses

"Thus you should train yourselves: 'We will listen when discourses that are words of the Tathagata — deep, deep in their meaning, transcendent, connected with emptiness — are being recited. We will lend ear, will set our hearts on knowing them, will regard these teachings as worth grasping & mastering.' That's how you should train yourselves."

— SN 20.7

The Pali canon contains many thousands of suttas (discourses), of which more than one thousand are now available in English translation here at Access to Insight. When faced with such a vast store of riches, three questions naturally spring to mind: Why should I read the suttas? Which ones should I read? How should I read them?

There are no simple cookie-cutter answers to these questions; the best answers will be the ones you discover on your own. Nevertheless, I offer here a few ideas, suggestions, and tips that I've found to be helpful over the years in my own exploration of the suttas. Perhaps you'll find some of them helpful, too.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/befriending.html

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby greeneggsandsam » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:57 am

Thanks for the replies, exactly the answer I was looking for.

greeneggsandsam

Postby Mkoll » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:08 am

culaavuso wrote:In the Buddha's Words contains a number of discourses from the Pali Canon translated by Bhikkhu Bodhi and organized helpfully in a format matching the general outline of the gradual training given in the suttas themselves.

:thumbsup:

I second this. It's a great introduction!

Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby LinLin64 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:45 pm

Another thumbs up here. In the Buddha's Words is a fabulous resource.

:thumbsup:
LinLin64

Postby PsychedelicSunSet » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:58 am

culaavuso wrote:In the Buddha's Words contains a number of discourses from the Pali Canon translated by Bhikkhu Bodhi and organized helpfully in a format matching the general outline of the gradual training given in the suttas themselves.

Fourth'd :thumbsup:

Metta
PsychedelicSunSet

Postby greeneggsandsam » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:05 am

Well it looks like I know what my next book will be!!

:tongue:
greeneggsandsam

Postby Ananda26 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:15 pm

greeneggsandsam wrote:Hi all,

I am interested in reading some of the original sutta's and wondering where a good place to look would be?

I am new to all this so forgive me if I make any silly mistakes... :)

As I understand the Pali Canon is split up into different books/sections?

I am looking for a translation also, I can't read Pali!!!

I found this, what do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/Dhammapada-Transl ... pd_sim_b_7

Again I have never read any of the original (translated) texts, so where do beginners usually start?

On a side note - I know they have most of the sutta's online, but I am not a big fan of reading too much material online, it makes my eyes hurt :shock:

Thanks!!

Long Discourses of the Buddha, Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha, Connected Discourses of the Buddha. These 3 have been published by Wisdom Publication.

Numerical Discourses of the Buddha published Pali Text Society and distributed in America by Pavaratti Bookstore in Washington State.

Sutta Nipata, Udana, Ittukvitaka, Theragathas, Therigathas.
Ananda26

Return to Classical Theravāda