Source for "Discipline is for the purpose of restraint..."

A forum for members who wish to develop a deeper understanding of the Pali Canon and associated Commentaries, which for discussion purposes are both treated as authoritative.

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Source for "Discipline is for the purpose of restraint..."

Postby Bakmoon » Mon May 26, 2014 9:08 pm

One of my favorite all time summaries of the Buddhist path is the famous line that goes:

“Discipline is for the purpose of restraint, restraint is for the purpose of non- remorse, non-remorse is for the purpose of gladdening, gladdening is for the purpose of happiness, happiness is for the purpose of tranquillity, tranquillity is for the purpose of bliss, bliss is for the purpose of concentration, concentration is for the purpose of correct knowledge and vision, correct knowledge and vision is for the purpose of dispassion, dispassion is for the purpose of fading away [of greed], fading away is for the purpose of deliverance, deliverance is for the purpose of knowledge and vision of deliverance, knowledge and vision of deliverance is for the purpose of complete extinction [of craving, etc.] through not clinging. Talk has that purpose, counsel has that purpose, support has that purpose, giving ear has that purpose, that is to say, the liberation of the mind through not clinging.”

But I don't know the origin of the quote and I would especially like to get the quote in Pali to incorporate into my daily chanting.
The non-doing of any evil,
The performance of what's skillful,
The cleansing of one's own mind:
This is the Buddhas' teaching.
Bakmoon

Re: Source for "Discipline is for the purpose of restraint..

Postby daverupa » Mon May 26, 2014 9:32 pm

Vinaya, Parivāra, Adhikaraṇavāra wrote:...discipline is for the sake of restraint, restraint is for the sake of not being remorseful, not being remorseful is for the sake of joy, joy is for the sake of delight, delight is for the sake of tranquillity, tranquillity is for the sake of happiness, happiness is for the sake of concentration, concentration is for the sake of knowledge and vision of what has come to be as it really-is, knowledge and vision of what has come to be as it really is is for the sake of turning away, turning away is for the sake of dispassion, dispassion is for the sake of freedom, freedom is for the sake of the knowledge and vision of freedom, the knowledge and vision of freedom is for the sake of final nibbāna without clinging. According to this meaning is the talk. According to this meaning is the counsel. According to this meaning is the causal relation. According to this meaning is the lending ear, that is to say the deliverance of mind without clinging.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby Bakmoon » Mon May 26, 2014 10:06 pm

daverupa wrote:
Vinaya, Parivāra, Adhikaraṇavāra wrote:...discipline is for the sake of restraint, restraint is for the sake of not being remorseful, not being remorseful is for the sake of joy, joy is for the sake of delight, delight is for the sake of tranquillity, tranquillity is for the sake of happiness, happiness is for the sake of concentration, concentration is for the sake of knowledge and vision of what has come to be as it really-is, knowledge and vision of what has come to be as it really is is for the sake of turning away, turning away is for the sake of dispassion, dispassion is for the sake of freedom, freedom is for the sake of the knowledge and vision of freedom, the knowledge and vision of freedom is for the sake of final nibbāna without clinging. According to this meaning is the talk. According to this meaning is the counsel. According to this meaning is the causal relation. According to this meaning is the lending ear, that is to say the deliverance of mind without clinging.

Thank you very much.
The non-doing of any evil,
The performance of what's skillful,
The cleansing of one's own mind:
This is the Buddhas' teaching.
Bakmoon

Postby santa100 » Mon May 26, 2014 10:07 pm

Bakmoon wrote:But I don't know the origin of the quote and I would especially like to get the quote in Pali to incorporate into my daily chanting.

And the Pali source:
Parivara wrote:Vinayo saṃvaratthāya, saṃvaro avippa­ṭisārat­thāya, avippaṭisāro pāmujjatthāya, pāmujjaṃ pītatthāya, pīti passad­dhat­thāya, passaddhi sukhatthāya, sukhaṃ samādhatthāya, samādhi yathā­bhūta­ñāṇadas­sanat­thāya, yathā­bhūta­ñāṇadas­sanaṃ nibbidatthāya, nibbidā virāgatthāya, virāgo vimuttatthāya, vimutti vimutti­ñāṇadas­sanat­thāya, vimutti­ñāṇadas­sanaṃ anupā­dā­pari­nib­bā­nat­thāya. Etadatthā kathā, etadatthā mantanā, etadatthā upanisā, etadatthaṃ sotāvadhānaṃ—yadidaṃ anupā­dā­cittassa vimokkhoti.
santa100

Postby SarathW » Mon May 26, 2014 11:38 pm

Hi Bakmoon
This is one of my favourite too.
It is such a relief to know that only thing we should do is to observe Vinaya (precepts etc).
The rest will look after itself.
:)
SarathW

Postby purple planet » Tue May 27, 2014 5:15 am

(so question solved so i allow myself to ask)

what is this discipline ?and what is the restraint ?

is it keeping the 8 precepts ?
Please send merit to my dog named Mika who has passed away - thanks in advance
purple planet

Postby SarathW » Wed May 28, 2014 1:44 am

Hi PP
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana which destroy the defilements”
===============
I keep the following as a yard stick for my own progress:

Observing five precepts will lead you to first Jhana.
Observing five precepts in conjunction with Brahama Vihara will lead you to 4th Jhana.
Obsrving eight precepts in conjunction with noble eightfold path will lead you to attain Sotapanna state.
Observing 10 precepts in conjunction with Four Noble Truths is mandatory for attaining Arahantship.

See attached as well:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=110&start=1820#p291984
SarathW

Postby SarathW » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:55 pm

Hi Bakmoon
This may interest you as well.
=========
"Of those, right view is the forerunner. And how is right view the forerunner? In one of right view, right resolve comes into being. In one of right resolve, right speech comes into being. In one of right speech, right action... In one of right action, right livelihood... In one of right livelihood, right effort... In one of right effort, right mindfulness... In one of right mindfulness, right concentration... In one of right concentration, right knowledge... In one of right knowledge, right release comes into being. [4] Thus the learner is endowed with eight factors, and the arahant with ten.

"Of those, right view is the forerunner. And how is right view the forerunner? In one of right view, wrong view is abolished. The many evil, unskillful qualities that come into play with wrong view as their condition are also abolished, while the many skillful qualities that have right view as their condition go to the culmination of their development. In one of right resolve, wrong resolve is abolished... In one of right speech, wrong speech is abolished... In one of right action, wrong action is abolished... In one of right livelihood, wrong livelihood is abolished... In one of right effort, wrong effort is abolished... In one of right mindfulness, wrong mindfulness is abolished... In one of right concentration, wrong concentration is abolished... In one of right knowledge, wrong knowledge is abolished... In one of right release, wrong release is abolished. The many evil, unskillful qualities that come into play with wrong release as their condition are also abolished, while the many skillful qualities that have right release as their condition go to the culmination of their development.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
SarathW

Return to Classical Theravāda