The additional Parajika's *rules of expulsion*

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Christopherxx

The additional Parajika's *rules of expulsion*

Post by Christopherxx »

So as many know in the Patimokkha there are I believe 11 additional Parajika's. If you are an eunuch, hermaphrodite, communion by theft, etc.

I've often wondered if these additional expulsion rules are found with the 227 rules or in a commentary and or additional text within the vinaya.

Lastly for some of the more knowledgeable scholars than I, do these additional Parajika's exist in the other vinayas?
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: The additional Parajika's *rules of expulsion*

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

They are not offences at all, let alone offences of defeat. If someone who is not eligible for ordination is ordained in error, e.g. a non human being, their ordination is not legally valid.

They are found in the Vinaya Pali text, they are not from any Commentarial literature.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Christopherxx

Post by Christopherxx »

Hello Bhikkhu Pesala:

I listed them as that because I believe *If I remember right* in Ajahn Thanissaro's Monastic Code they are listed under that category as additional Parajikas. I understand what you are saying with them being of a category different then acts of defeat because someone born a hermaphrodite doesn't really defeat themselves in a sense as it's a genetic condition.

The reason I asked if they where in another place in the vinaya is because a lot of the vinaya is within different time lapses *Modern view anyway* and so I wondered if they where put in during the intial set of rules or a later addition. Same reasons with asking about the commentaries.

Lastly are you aware of the other vinayas as I am guessing you have some experience in this area :)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The Commentary calls them “Virtual Pārājikas.”

The eleven disqualified types who should not be ordained in the first place. If they happen to be ordained, their ordination does not count, and once they are found out they must be expelled for life (Mv.I.61‑68).

Thus they are virtual Pārājikas. They are:
• a paṇḍaka (essentially, a eunuch or a person born neuter — see Saṅghādisesa 2),
• a “non‑human” being, such as a nāga or yakkha, that can assume human form,
• a hermaphrodite,
• a person who poses as a bhikkhu without having been ordained,
• a bhikkhu who has ordained in another sect or religion without first giving up his status as a bhikkhu;
• a person who has murdered his father,
• a person who has murdered his mother,
• a person who has murdered an arahant,
• a person who has sexually violated a bhikkhunī,
• a person who has injured a Buddha to the point of causing him to bleed,
• a person who has caused a schism in the Sangha.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Christopherxx

Post by Christopherxx »

That's right I forgot they where listed as “Virtual Pārājikas" in his work.

You can see my mistake.

In regards to the other questions do you have any insight into those? *For instance their placement in the vinaya, other vinayas from different traditions*
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have no knowledge of the other Vinayas, but I suspect that they are the same.

This is from the Vinaya Mahāvagga — the other ten types follow:

47. Paṇḍakavatthu

109, Tena kho pana samayena aññataro paṇḍako bhikkhūsu pabbajito hoti. ...

Then on one occasion a certain hermaphrodite had gone forth among the bhikkhus. He invited first bhikkhus, then novices to commit a sexual offence with him. They told him to get lost. He then committed an offence with lay mahouts. Lay people spread it about that the monks were unchaste, which was reported to the Buddha.
Christopherxx

Post by Christopherxx »

Thanks for the info Bhikkhu Pesala. I often wonder why they take specific cases and then generalize for all people belonging to a certain genetic and or intentional action group.

But that is a much different discussion and in many ways a personal issue of how one relates to Buddhism and in particular this tradition I guess.

I'll be looking into the Mahāvagga a bit to learn a bit more. Thanks again for your time!
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

Christopherxx wrote: I'll be looking into the Mahāvagga a bit to learn a bit more.
See Kd 1.61 et seq.