Mahasi Sayadaw and Pa Auk Sayadaw

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Modus.Ponens

Mahasi Sayadaw and Pa Auk Sayadaw

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Hello.

I was recently reading about Pa Auk Sayadaw's teachings and training at his monastery. Being somewhat familiar with the Mahasi vipassana method it seems to me that what separates these teachers is not what they hold as true, but the depth and exaustiveness of the investigation of reality they teach. They both teach from the standpoint of Abhidhamma. But the level of detail in training that Pa Auk Sayadaw goes into at his monastery seems to be much deeper.

Can anyone explain the differences similarities between these two teachers and respective traditions briefly? I personally believe they were both arahats. But I'm also inclined to believe that, although they were both liberated from suffering, Pa Auk Sayadaw teaches a more detailed and in-depth form of investigation.

I am not attacking any teacher or teaching method. I revere both teachers and I just want a friendly discussion of this without divisiveness.

Be well.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
atipattoh

Re: Mahasi Sayadaw and Pa Auk Sayadaw

Post by atipattoh »

There may be a few that you may forward this question to, but i can only offer 2 names here. One is Sayadaw U Agganna and the second person is Sayalay Susila. If i'm not mistaken, these two meditation teachers gone thru meditation practice of both lineage. (But I'm not very sure of Sayadaw U Agganna)

I am not aware of any internet connection for Sayadaw U Agganna, as for Sayalay Susila you could try this
http://www.sayalaysusila.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[email protected]

If you are in US, probably you could find out which meditation center she will be teaching in Jan to Apr 2016 and forward this question. She could be your best choice. Good luck!
:anjali:
Modus.Ponens

Re: Mahasi Sayadaw and Pa Auk Sayadaw

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Thank you!
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta