What is a 'turner'?

A forum for members who wish to develop a deeper understanding of the Pali Canon and associated Commentaries, which for discussion purposes are both treated as authoritative.

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

What is a 'turner'?

Postby Reductor » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:57 am

In MN 10 the phrase:

"Just as a skilled turner or his apprentice, when making a long turn, discerns that he is making a long turn, or when making a short turn discerns that he is making a short turn

What is/was a turner?
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

Reductor

Re: What is a 'turner'?

Postby Paññāsikhara » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:25 am

thereductor wrote:In MN 10 the phrase:

"Just as a skilled turner or his apprentice, when making a long turn, discerns that he is making a long turn, or when making a short turn discerns that he is making a short turn

What is/was a turner?

It is another name for a person who uses a "lathe". A "turner" "turns" at a "lathe".

Possibly the height of new fangled technology at the Buddha's time.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Paññāsikhara

Postby Kim OHara » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:31 am

Paññāsikhara wrote:
thereductor wrote:...
What is/was a turner?

It is another name for a person who uses a "lathe". A "turner" "turns" at a "lathe".

Treadle powered back then, like the traditional potter's wheel or (more recently :tongue: ) your granny's sewing machine.
But I haven't got any pictures. :broke:

Kim
Kim OHara

Postby Reductor » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:05 am

I thought it might be linked to carpentry. When I use a scroll saw for finishing work (carpentry) the mental focus is similar to that of watching the breath in anapanasati.

Thank you, venerable.
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

Reductor

Postby Paññāsikhara » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:07 am

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Paññāsikhara wrote:
thereductor wrote:...
What is/was a turner?

Treadle powered back then, like the traditional potter's wheel or (more recently :tongue: ) your granny's sewing machine.
But I haven't got any pictures. :broke:

Kim

My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Paññāsikhara

Postby Kim OHara » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:16 am

:twothumbsup:
:bow:

Kim
Kim OHara

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:38 pm

I started this thread for a Alms Bowls and Ven. Dhammanandho gave some similar info aswell as some useful info.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=945&p=11732&hilit=turner#p11732
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby rowyourboat » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:36 pm

but there must be something more with long turns and short turns!
:cookoo:
:stirthepot:
:rofl:
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
rowyourboat

Return to Classical Theravāda