How much read?

A forum for members who wish to develop a deeper understanding of the Pali Canon and associated Commentaries, which for discussion purposes are both treated as authoritative.

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

How much of the four great Nikaya-s of the sutta pitaka have you read?

I've read all four nikaya-s.
9%
I have read a substantial amount (25% or greater) and intend to read all four.
18%
I have read a substantial amount (25% or greater) with no firm intention of reading all four.
5%
I have read less than %25 and intend to read all four.
36%
I have read less than %25 with no firm intention of reading all four.
5%
I have no clear idea how much I've read but intend to read all four.
9%
I have no clear idea how much I've read and have no intention of reading all four.
18%

Total votes : 22

How much read?

Postby Reductor » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:53 am

I've noticed a pretty scholarly bent here on Dhammawheel. ;)

And since that is the case, I wondered just how much of the sutta-s everyone has read. I'm trying to read them all but, sigh, there is a lot of material to cover. Still, making progress.

To what extent have you pursued this avenue of study and how far do you plan to go? Why?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I find them inspiring to read and informative, and also a very good defense against the arising of wrong views. Additionally there is a lot of really good information there about the actual practice of mediation and contemplation. Key stuff.

Of course I plan to read all of them.
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

Reductor

Re: How much read?

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:35 am

Greetings Thereductor,

I've read the Wisdom editions of the DN, MN & SN... and once Bhikkhu Bodhi's full AN gets published by them, I'll be reading that too.

:reading:

As for the "why"... because they're excellent. Their existence is a blessing to mankind. :thumbsup:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby bodom » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:58 am

Whats about the Khuddaka Nikaya? Ive read most of what is published in english of this overlooked and often forgotten Nikaya.
The Dhammapada, Itivuttaka, Suttanipata, Theragatha,Therigatha,Jataka, Patisambhidamagga, Cariyapitaka, Nettipakarana,Milindapanha and Buddhavamsa, all excellent, all found in the Khuddaka Nikaya.

The Sutta Nipata, Itivuttaka, Dhammapada, Therigatha, Theragatha and Udana are some of the oldest texts in the Canon. While of course some of these,The Niddesa, Patisambhidamagga, Buddhavamsa and Cariyapitaka are later editions, there importance should not be overlooked.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby Reductor » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:54 pm

bodom wrote:Whats about the Khuddaka Nikaya?

Of course you're right about the Khuddaka - it is an important collection, not to mention enjoyable to read. I limited this poll for a couple reasons: 1) the four biggies are very complete in their doctrinal analysis and are more commonly accepted as the 'essential' part. 2) the books of the khuddaka seem more like stand alone volumes than a homogeneous 'book' in the way of the other four, so I wasn't sure if including it would complicate the poll.

Personally, I've read the first five books from this collection and strongly endorse the suttanipata.

Thanks for you post Bodom.
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

Reductor

Postby Reductor » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:11 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Metta,

Really Retro? You've read those? Haha, just kidding.

If you hadn't read them I would have been VERY surprised!

So, how long did it take you to read those first three?
Michael

Reductor

Postby Alex123 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:54 pm

I've read all 4 Nikayas + ~6 books of KN + many other works (in part or in full).

I do recommend strongly to read 4.5 Nikayas.
”Even the water melting from the snow-capped peaks finds its way to the ocean."
Alex123

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:03 pm

Greetings threductor,

thereductor wrote:So, how long did it take you to read those first three?

Yeah, it took a while. Off the top of my head I would say it took about 2 years, in rather sporadic fashion. With the exception of the DN they were too big for me to read on the daily train trip, so I had to read them at home.

Alex wrote:I do recommend strongly to read 4.5 Nikayas.

The part of the KN I've read have been good, and I'm definitely keen to read the entire Sutta Nipata. I'm guessing that those volumes I'd enjoy least are precisely those which are harder to come across in English translation, and fall into your unstated 0.5.

Metta,
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Alex123 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:07 pm

retrofuturist wrote:
Alex wrote:I do recommend strongly to read 4.5 Nikayas.

The part of the KN I've read have been good, and I'm definitely keen to read the entire Sutta Nipata. I'm guessing that those volumes I'd enjoy least are precisely those which are harder to come across in English translation, and fall into your unstated 0.5.

Metta,

Right. The more early part of KN are (suttanipata, udana, itivutakka, thera/therigatha, dhammapada). I do also like the readable parts of Ptsm.
”Even the water melting from the snow-capped peaks finds its way to the ocean."
Alex123

Return to Classical Theravāda