Vinaya Anthology

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
bodom

Vinaya Anthology

Post by bodom »

Im looking for an Vinaya anthology that contains the suttas that were spoken by the Buddha on the occasion of the rules being laid down. Any recommendations?

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
daverupa

Re: Vinaya Anthology

Post by daverupa »

Have you looked at the PTS English editions of the Khandhaka and the SuttaVibhanga?
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
bodom

Post by bodom »

daverupa wrote:Have you looked at the PTS English editions of the Khandhaka and the SuttaVibhanga?
Hi daverupa

I have. The PTS edition of the SuttaVibhanga is contained in 3 volumes at almost $70 a book. Don't really have the money at this time and was hoping to find a cheaper alternative. I haven't looked into the Khandhaka yet. I will have a look thank you.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

I recommend the Khandhaka from the PTS (published as the Mahavagga and Culavagga, vols. 4 & 5, of The Book of Discipline) as it is the earliest Vinaya text (the Patimokkha is earlier, but the SuttaVibhanga containing it is later). Still fairly pricey.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

bodom

Post by bodom »

daverupa wrote:I recommend the Khandhaka from the PTS (published as the Mahavagga and Culavagga, vols. 4 & 5, of The Book of Discipline) as it is the earliest Vinaya text (the Patimokkha is earlier, but the SuttaVibhanga containing it is later). Still fairly pricey.
Thanks so much!

:namaste:

- BB
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

bodom wrote:Im looking for an Vinaya anthology that contains the suttas that were spoken by the Buddha on the occasion of the rules being laid down. Any recommendations?

Ven Nanamoli's LIFE OF THE BUDDHA has a fair amount of Vinaya texts.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
bodom

Post by bodom »

tiltbillings wrote:
bodom wrote:Im looking for an Vinaya anthology that contains the suttas that were spoken by the Buddha on the occasion of the rules being laid down. Any recommendations?

Ven Nanamoli's LIFE OF THE BUDDHA has a fair amount of Vinaya texts.
Thanks tilt, great book, I own it. Im looking for something a bit more comprehensive though.

- BB
Khemadhammo Bhikkhu

Post by Khemadhammo Bhikkhu »

On http://www.archive.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.scribd.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you can find Horner's and Rhys Davids' translations of the Vinaya texts. I think there all on there.

Metta,

Khemadhammo (Phra Sander).
He stopped and called out to the Blessed One: "Stop, recluse! Stop, recluse!"
"I have stopped, Angulimāla, you stop too."
(M ii.100)
bodom

Post by bodom »

Khemadhammo Bhikkhu wrote:On http://www.archive.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.scribd.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you can find Horner's and Rhys Davids' translations of the Vinaya texts. I think there all on there.

Metta,

Khemadhammo (Phra Sander).
Thank you Bhante!

- BB
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

:thumbsup: :woohoo:

BKh

Post by BKh »

As a point of clarification, the books titled "Vinaya Texts" vols 1-3 was translated by T.W. Rhys Davids and Herman Oldenberg. [1881-5] and seems to contain the patimokkha(rules only no stories) and the Khandakas. The Khandakas do contain background stories, but not to the patimokkha rules. If you scroll down on this page you can find them
http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I believe a print on demand company called Forgotten Books will sell you a hard copy.

I. B. Horner translated both the Suttavibhangha and the Khandakas(Under the title Book of Discipline) , but I don't think they are in the public domain yet. My recollection is that there are several PTS scanned books on archive.org claiming to be the Book of Discipline but when you download them they are something else.

Ajahn Thanissaro's Buddhist Monastic Code will often have a summary of the origin stories, although not for every rule. Certainly enough to give you an idea.

Hope that is helpful(and correct :-))
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |