The Story of Thera Lakuntaka Bhaddiya

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
yawares

The Story of Thera Lakuntaka Bhaddiya

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

This story is very interesting, please let me share with you all.
Lakuntaka Bhaddiya Thera [translated from the Pali by K. Nizamis © 2011–2012]

He was born in a wealthy family of Sāvatthi and was given the title of Lakuntaka (Dwarf) owing to his very small stature.
Having heard the Buddha preach, he entered the Order and became learned and eloquent, teaching others in a sweet voice. Once, on a festival day, a woman of the town, driving with a brahmin in a chariot, saw the Elder and laughed, showing her teeth. The Elder, taking the teeth as his object, developed jhāna and became an anāgāmī. Later, after being admonished by Sāriputta, he developed mindfulness regarding the body and became an arahant.

Dwelling in Saavatthi. And then, there where the Blessed One was, there,
Venerable Bhaddiya the Dwarf approached. The Blessed One saw Venerable Bhaddiya
the Dwarf approaching even from afar. Having seen him, he addressed the monks:

"Do you see, monks, that monk approaching, of bad complexion, of bad appearance,
dwarfish, of such a form as to be despised by the monks?"

"Just so, Venerable Sir."

"Monks, that monk is of great power, of great eminence. There is no well-gained
attainment that has not already been attained by that monk. For that benefit for
which sons of good lineage rightly go forth from home into homelessness, that
ultimate conclusion of the holy life: even in this very life, by himself having
seen with his own eyes the higher knowledge, and having attained, he abides."

In the assembly of monks the Buddha ranked him as foremost among sweet voiced monks (mañjussarānam). Several stories connected with Bhaddiya are recorded in the books. Because of his shortness and his youthful appearance he was sometimes mistaken for a novice. Elsewhere, it is said that, because he was ugly and hunch backed, he was despised by his companions, and the Buddha had to proclaim to them his greatness and hold him up as an example of a man who, though small, was of great power. Another account relates how novices used to pull his hair and tweak his ears and nose saying, “Uncle, you tire not of religion? You take delight in it?” But he showed no resentment and took no offence. The introduction to the Kelisīla Jātaka, speaks of thirty monks from the country who, seeing Bhaddiya at Jetavana, pulled him about until they were told by the Buddha who he was.
------------------
Thera Lakuntaka's past lives [www.aimwell.org/DPPN/lakuntaka_th.htm ]

In the time of Padumuttara Buddha he was a very rich householder of Hamsavatī, and, having heard the Buddha describe one of his monks as the sweetest voiced among them all, he wished for a similar distinction for himself under a future Buddha.

In the time of Phussa Buddha he was the king's general, named Nanda, who, seeing the Buddha in the royal park, placed in his bowl a ripe mango.

During the time of Vipassi Buddha.He was a kokila bird (cittapattakokila), seeing the Buddha, gave him a ripe mango and sang to him, as he ate it, a song of joy. Hence the sweetness of Lakuntakas voice.

In Kassapa Buddhas day he was the chief architect entrusted with the building of the thūpa over the Buddha’s relics, and, when a dispute arose as to how big the thūpa should be, he decided in favour of a small one; hence his small stature in his last life. the Kelisīla Jātaka gives a different reason for his shortness.

Love Buddha's dhamma,
yawares
SDC

Re: The Story of Thera Lakuntaka Bhaddiya

Post by SDC »

I recall a sutta about this monk. Its inspiring to read about him. Thanks for posting this. :smile:
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Thank you for that short story. I must try to give longer Dhamma talks.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
yawares

Post by yawares »

SDC wrote:I recall a sutta about this monk. Its inspiring to read about him. Thanks for posting this. :smile:
Dear SDC,

Thank you for reading my story.
yawares
yawares

Post by yawares »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Thank you for that short story. I must try to give longer Dhamma talks.
Dear Bhikkhu Pesala,

Thank you for reading my story,
yawares