Wednesday's Child Is A Child Of Woe?????

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.

Wednesday's Child Is A Child Of Woe?????

Postby yawares » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:00 pm

Dear Members,

I happened to listen to this song "Wednesday's Child" by Matt Monroe
@youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPRnDYA6Z4

May I ask you all...is it true? Do you know anyone who was born on Wednesday? Is
he/she a child of woe/born to be alone??

I'm a Friday's child and so far I win at love, but I'm not superstitious about
Wednesday's child...just curious....wish to know if any truth in it?

Curious mind,
yawares
yawares

Re: Wednesday's Child Is A Child Of Woe?????

Postby daverupa » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:32 pm

Correlation based on an old nursery rhyme from the 19th century, one among many such hints of (pre-)historical fortune-telling based on the days of the week. Fact level: fortune cookie.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby yawares » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:39 pm

Dear 'daverupa',

Thank you very much for your answer and nice verse.

Sincerely,
yawares
yawares

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:48 pm

I'm a Wednesday child :tongue: (Wed. Dec. 26)

Renouncing violence for all living beings, harming not even a one, you would not wish for offspring, so how a companion?
Wander alone like a rhinoceros. For a sociable person there are allurements; on the heels of allurement, this pain.
Seeing allurement's drawback, wander alone like a rhinoceros . . .
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby yawares » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:13 pm

Dear David,

Thank you very much for your answer. So you're a Wednesday's child, do you enjoy being alone ? I love the verse!

Don't you think, having a 'kallayanamit'(good/virtuous friend) near by is better? I love the stories about Thera Sariputta and his best friend Thera Moggallana, Thera Yasa and his good friends, Thera Uruvela-Kassapa and his 2 great brothers etc. How about Thera Kumara-Kassapa and Bahiya Darujiriya, because of their superdeva-friend's help, they both attained arahantship.

Myself, my husband always teachs me everything about computer etc, so I can easily post stories without difficulty. I could never imagine mylife alone, I might cry myself to sleep without my husband/my best friend .

Sincerely,
yawares :heart:
yawares

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:14 pm

Hi yawares,

Don't worry about me; I'm not alone. :D I have 5,000 kalyana-mittas right here on Dhamma Wheel. :smile: And also plenty of in-person kalyana-mittas too. It is just a superstition about Wednesday births as daverupa mentioned above. I just thought it would be a good moment to bring up that great verse from the Sutta Nipata.

yawares wrote:Myself, my husband always teachs me everything about computer etc, so I can easily post stories without difficulty. I could never imagine my life alone, I might cry myself to sleep without my husband/my best friend .

Excellent! My wife is a kalyana-mitta to me too.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby yawares » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:05 pm

Dear David,

Oh you completely fooled me with "the verse". Now I'm happy to know that Wednesday's child is just 'fortune cookie' at chinese restaurants. Strangely, I never have close friends or neighbors who are Wednesday's children.

You're the first 'Wednesday's child' who answered my question...Thank you very much...a song for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz6DEQWZ ... re=related

Have a great day!
yawares
yawares

Return to Dhammic Stories