Her True Eternal Love

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.

Her True Eternal Love

Postby yawares » Sun May 13, 2012 1:25 pm

Dear Members,

This Mother's Day I proudly present a true eternal love story as a gift to you all..Happy Mother's Day :heart: !!

Cullabodhi Jataka: Her True Eternal Love
[Translated by W.H.D. Rouse, [1901], at sacred-texts.com]

Once upon a time in a town of Kasi, a Brahmin man and his wife, wealthy and of great possessions, longed for a son. To grant their wish, the Bodhisatta, descendant of the Brahmadeva world, was born into the Brahmin family. Bodhi kumara was his name. When he came of age, he studied sciences in Takkasila. After his homecoming, much against his will, his parents found him a beautiful wife from a family of the same caste. She too had descended from the Brahmadeva world. Although these two were married, they did not choose this fate and had no desire to initiate a passionate lifestyle. They did not care to lay with one another nor even try to glance at one another in a sexual manner.

Not long after their marriage, his parents were passed. So, the Bidhisatta called to his virgin wife, “Now lady, you take this fortune of eighty crores, and live in happiness.” “Not so, but you, noble Sir.” Said he, Wealth I want none; I shall go to the region of Himalaya, and become a recluse, and there find refuge. ‘Well, noble Sir, is it men only that should live the ascetic life’ “No,” said he, “but women also. “‘Then I will not take that which you spew out of your mouth; for wealth I care no more than you, and I, like you, will live as a recluse.”

"Very good lady,” said he and they both donated their possessions to serve as a great quantity of alms; and setting forth, in a pleasant spot they made a hermitage. They lived on many wild fruits for ten whole years, yet did not attain holy ecstasy.

And after ten years, they traversed the countryside to get salt and seasoning, and came to Benares where they abode in the royal park.

One day, the king ordered that the park was cleansed and made ready. Upon entering the park, he spotted the couple and immediately fell in love with the great beauty of the ascetic woman. Trembling with desire, he asked the Bodhisatta who she was. Bodhisatta responded “Great king, she's a lady who shares my ascetic life, but when I lived in the world, she was my wife.” The king immediately decided to use his sovereign power in order to make the woman his own wife.

The king gave orders to one of his guards to take the lady into the palace. The courtier, obedient, led her away, in spite of her complaints and cries that lawlessness and wrong were the world’s way. The Bodhisatta, who heard her cries looked once but looked no more. So weeping and wailing she was transported to the palace.

And the King of Benares made no delay in his park, but quickly returned indoors, and sending for the woman showed her great honour. And she spoke of the worthlessness of such an honor, and the precious value of her once solitary life. No matter how much he showered her with luxuries and attention, the kind could not win the lady, and she constantly yearned for her former life of simple solitude. The king did not comprehend this and assumed that the ascetic man would avenge the king eventually. And so unable to keep still, he went into the park to confront Bodhisatta.

The Bodhisatta sat stitching his cloak. The king alone came up softly. Without one look at the king the other went on with his sewing. “This fellow,” thought the king, “will not speak to me because he is angry. This ascetic, humbug that he is, first roars out, ‘I will not let anger arise at all, but if it does, I will crush it while it is small,’ and then is so obstinate in wrath that he won’t speak to me. With this idea, the king repeated the stanza:

“You that were loud in boasting only awhile ago

Now dumb for very anger there you sit and sew

When the Great Being heard this, he perceived that the king thought him silent from anger; and desirous to show that he was not influenced by anger, repeated the stanza:

“Once risen, it never had left me, it never would leave me at all:

As a storm of rain lays the dust again I quenched it while it was small.”

Upon hearing these words, the king thought, “Is it anger of which he Speaks or some other thing? I will ask him and he asked the question repeating stanza:

“What is it that never has left you your life long never as all?

As a storm of rain lays the dust again, what quenched you while it was small?

Said the other, “Great king, thus anger brings much wretchedness, and much ruin; it just began within me, but by cherishing kindly feelings I quenched it,” and then he repeated the following stanzas to declare the misery of anger.

“That without which a man sees clearly, with which he goes blindly ahead,

Arose within me, but was not left free of anger, on foolishness fed.

“What causes our foes satisfaction, who wish to bring woes on our head?

Arose within me, was not left free- anger on foolishness fed.

“That which if it rises within us blinds all to our spiritual good,

Arose within me, but was not left-anger, with folly for food.

“That which, supreme, destroys each great blessing,

Which makes its dupes forsake each worthy thing,

Mighty, destructive, with its swarm of fears,

Anger refused to leave me, O great king

“The fire will rise the higher if the fuel be stirred and turned;

And because the fire uprises, the fuel itself is burned.

“And thus in the mind of the foolish, the man who cannot discern,

From wrangling arises anger, and with it himself will burn.

“Whose anger grows like fire with fuel and grass that blaze,

As the moon in the dark fortnight, so his honour wanes well grown.”

“He who quiets his anger, like a fire that fuel has none,

As the moon in the light fortnight, his honour waxes well grown.”

When the king had listened to the Bodhisatta’s discourse, he was well pleased, and bade one of his courtiers lead the woman back; and invited the passionless recluse to stay with her in that park, in the enjoyment of their solitary life. He promised to watch over them and defend them as he ought. Then asking pardon he politely took leave. And the two dwelt there. By and by, the woman died and after her death, the man returned to the Himalayas, and cultivating the Faculties and the Attainments, and causing the Excellences to spring up within him, he became destined for Brahma Deva world.

--------

When the Buddha had ended his discourse he declared the Truths and identified the Birth; “At that time Rahula’s mother was the ascetic lady, Ananda was the king and I myself was the ascetic.”

Love Buddha's dhamma,
yawares/sirikanya :heart:
yawares

Re: Her True Eternal Love

Postby Rui Sousa » Sun May 13, 2012 11:23 pm

Lovely story. :anjali:
With Metta
Rui Sousa

Re: Her True Eternal Love

Postby yawares » Mon May 14, 2012 1:02 am

Dear Rui Sousa,

Thank you for reading my story and nice comment.

Wish U Happy Mother's Day,
yawares[/b]
yawares

Return to Dhammic Stories