Sirima : Love Bites!!

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
yawares

Sirima : Love Bites!!

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

What are you gonna do when love bites you so bad that you can't eat, can't sleep??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTc0i6ur ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1EyML0CyTg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sirima: Love Bites!

While residing at the Jetavana monastery, the Buddha uttered Verse (147),
with reference to Sirima the courtesan.

Once, a very beautiful courtesan named Sirima(doctor Jivaka's sister),
after listening to the Buddha's preaching she attained Sotapatti Fruition.
She gave up her profession, and lived her life as a good upasika.

Everyday Sirima offered alms-food to eight bhikkhus. One of these bhikkhus
happened to mention to other bhikkhus how beautiful Sirima was and also
that she offered very delicious food to the bhikkhus every day. On hearing this,
a young bhikkhu fell in love with Sirima even without seeing her. The next day,
the young bhikkhu went with the other bhikkhus to the house of Sirima. That day
Sirima was sick, but since she wanted to pay respect to the bhikkhus,she came out
to give alms-food by herself. The young bhikkhu, seeing Sirima, thought to
himself, "Even though she is sick, she is so very beautiful!" And he hopelessly
fell in love with her. Love bit him so bad that he could not do all things that
a monk supposed to do.

That very night, Sirima died. King Bimbisara went to the Buddha and
reported to him that Sirima, the sister of Jivaka, had died. The Buddha told
King Bimbisara to take the dead body to the cemetery and keep it there for three
days without burying it, but to have it protected from crows and vultures. The
king did as he was told. On the fourth day, the dead body of the beautiful
Sirima was no longer beautiful or desirable; it got bloated and maggots came out
from the nine orifices. On that day, the Buddha took his bhikkhus to the
cemetery to observe the body of Sirima. The king also came with his men. The
young bhikkhu, who was so desperately in love with Sirima, did not know that
Sirima had died. When he learnt that the Buddha and the bhikkhus were going to
see Sirima, he joined them. At the cemetery, the corpse of Sirima was surrounded
by the bhikkhus headed by the Buddha, and also by the king and his men.

The Buddha then asked the king to get a town crier announce that Sirima
would be available on payment of one thousand in cash per night. But no body
would take her for one thousand, or for five hundred, or for two hundred and
fifty, or even if she were to be given free of charge. Then the Buddha said to
the audience, "Bhikkhus! Look at Sirima. When she was living, there were many
who were willing to give one thousand to spend one night with her; but now none
would take her even if given without any payment. The body of a person is
subject to deterioration and decay."

Then the Buddha spoke in verse as follows:

Verse 147: Look at this dressed up body, a mass of sores, supported (by bones),
sickly, a subject of many thoughts (of sensual desire). Indeed, that body is
neither permanent nor enduring.

At the end of the discourse, the young bhikkhu attained Sotapatti Fruition.

------------------------------
Note: Sirima – Mansion.

Because while on earth Sirima had learnt the Buddha dhamma and had attained the first stage – stream-winner. For such wholesome kamma she was reborn into "Sirima Mansion" in the Nimmanarati heaven. All devas/devis here have the power to create objects of sensual enjoyment by thought, in accordance with their desires.

****Sirima was interviewed by Thera Vangisa when he went to her heaven : "Sirima's Mansion"

Sirima's Mansion
[translated from the Pali by John D. Ireland © 2005–2012]

[Thera Vangisa:]

Your yoked and finely caparisoned horses, strong and swift, are heading downward through the sky. And these five hundred chariots, magically created, are following, the horses urged on by charioteers.

You stand in this excellent chariot, adorned, radiant and shining, like a blazing star. I ask you of lovely slender form and exquisite beauty, from which company of gods have you come to visit the Unrivalled One?

[Sirima:]

From those who have reached the heights of sensual pleasures, said to be unsurpassed; the gods who delight in magical transformation and creation. A nymph from that company able to assume any desired appearance has come here to worship the Unrivalled One.

[Vangisa:]

What good conduct did you formerly practice here? How is it that you live in immeasurable glory and have gained such pleasures? Due to what have you acquired the unrivalled power to travel through the sky? Why does your beauty radiate in the ten directions?

You are surrounded and honored by the gods. From where did you decease before you came to a heavenly bourn, goddess? Or of what teaching were you able to follow the word of instruction? Tell me if you were a disciple of the Awakened One.

[Sirima:]

In a fine well-built city situated between hills, an attendant of a noble king endowed with good fortune, I was highly accomplished in dancing and singing. As Sirima I was known in Rajagaha.

But then the Awakened One, the leader among seers, the guide, taught me of origination, of suffering and impermanence; of the unconditioned, of the cessation of suffering that is everlasting; and of this path, not crooked, straight, auspicious.

When I had learnt of the undying state (nibbana), the unconditioned, through the instruction of the Tathagata, the Unrivalled One, I was highly and well restrained in the precepts and established in the Dhamma taught by the most excellent of men, the Awakened One.

When I knew the undefiled place, the unconditioned, taught by the Tathagata, the Unrivalled One, I then and there experienced the calm concentration (of the noble path). That supreme certainty of release was mine.

When I gained the distinctive undying, assured, eminent in penetrative insight, not doubting, I was revered by many people and experienced much pleasure and enjoyment.

Thus I am a goddess, knowing the undying, a disciple of the Tathagata, the Unrivalled One; a knower of Dhamma established in the first fruit, a stream-enterer. Henceforth there is no bad bourn for me.

I came to revere the Unrivalled One and the virtuous monks who delight in what is skilled; to worship the auspicious assembly of ascetics and the respectworthy Fortunate One, the Dhamma-king.

I am joyful and gladdened on seeing the sage, the Tathagata, the outstanding trainer of men capable of being trained, who has cut off craving, who delights in what is skilled, the guide. I worship the supremely merciful Compassionate One.

Love Buddha's dhamma,
yawares/sirikanya
:heart:
Last edited by yawares on Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yawares

Re: Sirima : Love Bites!!

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

I just love to rerun this story of the beautiful Sirima :anjali:

yawares :heart: :jumping:
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

:anjali:
:buddha1:
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
yawares

Post by yawares »

Dear 'pegembara',

Thank you very much for the pictures....impermanent indeed!!
I watched The Oscar 2013 and saw all of my favorite movie-stars: Richard Gere/Sandra Bullock/Nicole Kidman etc. ...they might be looking much older if not preserved by plastic surgeries !!!

yawares :anjali: