THE BUDDHA LIGHT

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.

THE BUDDHA LIGHT

Postby yawares » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:26 pm

Dear Members,

Today is Uposatha Day, a very good day for me to thank people who put "THE BUDDHA LIGHT" into my life!

Not many years ago, every library and temple in Thailand had the whole 45 volumes of the Tipitaka that occupied a large book shelf. They looks formidable! So most Thai people, including me, never read them from the first to the last page. That was the history before SUJEEP PUNYANUPARP published his condensed version of the Tipitaka! And his 'TRIPITAKA FOR PEOPLE' book became a smash hit! Sujeep is credited for being the first to summarize 45 volumes of the Tipitaka into a single book!!!!

I remembered the day that I received the TRIPITAKA FOR PEOPLE that my sister mailed to me from Bangkok, I read the book days/nights. I love the book so much especially the DHAMMAPADA with stories of Buddha and his important disciples/upasakas/upasikas etc.

After that book, I've expanded my horizon to read everything about Buddhism online.

Today, I have such a wonderful feeling to thank: Sujeep Punyanuparp, Daw Mya Tin, Dr.C.B.Varma, Dr.F.Max Muller, Robert Chalmer, John T. Bullitt and Bhikkhu Thanissaro. My thanks to them who have brought the BUDDHA LIGHT into my life.
May Buddha bless them forever.

Because of their stories on line, I've learned so much about how to do good deeds/make best merits/lead goodlife etc. through following the great examples that I've read from the DHAMMAPADA/JATAKA/BUDDHA VERSES!!

-------
My favorite verses:

Verse 43: Not a mother, nor a father, nor any other relative can do more for the well-being of one than a rightly-directed mind can.

Verse 44: Who shall examine this earth (i.e., this body), the world of Yama (i.e., the four Apayas) and the world of man together with the world of devas? Who shall examine the well-taught Path of Virtue (Dhammapada) as an expert florist picks and chooses flowers?

Verse 45: The Ariya Sekha shall examine this earth (i.e., the body), the world of Yama (i.e., the four Apayas) and the world of man together with the world of devas. The Ariya Sekha shall examine the well-taught Path of Virtue (Dhammapada) as an expert florist picks and chooses flowers.

Verse 46: One who knows that this body is impermanent like froth, and comprehends that it is insubstantial like a mirage, will cut the flowers of Mara (i.e., the three kinds of vatta or rounds), and pass out of sight of the King of Death

Verse 47: Like one who picks and chooses flowers, a man who has his mind attached to sensual pleasures is carried away by Death, just as a great flood sweeps away a sleeping village

Verse 48: Like one who picks and chooses flowers, a man who has his mind attached to sensual pleasures and is insatiate in them is over powered by Death.

Verse 49: As the bee collects nectar and flies away without damaging the flower or its colour or its scent, so also, let the bhikkhu dwell and act in the village (without affecting the faith and generosity or the wealth of the villagers).

Love Buddha's dhamma,
Yawares
:heart:
yawares

Re: THE BUDDHA LIGHT

Postby gavesako » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:00 am

Indeed, yesterday (according to Thai calender) was the Atthami Puja, the day of the Buddha's cremation at Kusinara.

Read the story of Buddha's Parinibbana and cremation:
http://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/T ... f-Body.htm

This is a map of India showing where the Buddha's relics were placed: http://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/M ... Relics.htm

Strangely, just yesterday I was preparing the text of Dhammapada in Czech translation to be published for free distribution, and I spend quite a lot of time trying to find the best rendering of verses 44 and 45 quoted by you above. The problem is that there are two different versions of the Pali text, one reads "pathavim vicessati" and the other reads "pathavim vijessati" (shall conquer the earth), so one has to decide which one is more accurate. It is a beautiful simile (upama) with the flowers anyway.

:buddha1:
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

ajahnchah.org - Teachings of Ajahn Chah in many languages
Dhammatube - Videos on Buddhist practice
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
gavesako

Re: THE BUDDHA LIGHT

Postby yawares » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:39 pm

gavesako wrote:Indeed, yesterday (according to Thai calender) was the Atthami Puja, the day of the Buddha's cremation at Kusinara.

Read the story of Buddha's Parinibbana and cremation:
http://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/T ... f-Body.htm

This is a map of India showing where the Buddha's relics were placed: http://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/M ... Relics.htm

Strangely, just yesterday I was preparing the text of Dhammapada in Czech translation to be published for free distribution, and I spend quite a lot of time trying to find the best rendering of verses 44 and 45 quoted by you above. The problem is that there are two different versions of the Pali text, one reads "pathavim vicessati" and the other reads "pathavim vijessati" (shall conquer the earth), so one has to decide which one is more accurate. It is a beautiful simile (upama) with the flowers anyway.

:buddha1:

Dear Bhikkhu Gavesako,

Thank you very much for the story/map....very interesting..I'll post them @ SD/JTN.
Yesterday the crazy heavy rainstorm hit my town, the power went out for a while....no flood..just the temperature dropped so fast..from 86F to 69F....but I liked it cold at night.
I wish you great success for the Czech translation to be bublished , sadhu sadhu sadhu :candle:

With Respect,
yawares
yawares

Return to Dhammic Stories