Sariputta Advised Anurudha

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.

Postby yawares » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:09 pm

Dear Members,

More of Sariputta Thera...and I truly love this great advice story.

[translated from the Pali texts by Nyanaponika Thera]

Sariputta was a true friend in the fullest sense of the word. He well understood how to bring out the best in others, and in doing so did not hesitate sometimes to speak straightforwardly and critically, like the ideal friend described by the Buddha, who points out his friend's faults. It was in this way that he helped the venerable Anuruddha in his final break-through to Arahatship, as recorded in the Anguttara Nikaya (Tika-Nipata No. 128):

Once the Venerable Anuruddha went to see the Venerable Sariputta. When they had exchanged courteous greetings he sat down and said to the Venerable Sariputta: "Friend Sariputta, with the divine eye that is purified, transcending human ken, I can see the thousandfold world-system. Firm is my energy, unremitting; my mindfulness is alert and unconfused; the body is tranquil and unperturbed; my mind is concentrated and one-pointed. And yet my mind is not freed from cankers, not freed from clinging."

"Friend Anuruddha," said the Venerable Sariputta, "that you think thus of your divine eye, this is conceit in you. That you think thus of your firm energy, your alert mindfulness, your unperturbed body and your concentrated mind, this is restlessness in you. That you think of your mind not being freed from the cankers, this is worrying[16] in you. It will be good, indeed, if the Venerable Anuruddha, abandoning these three states of mind and paying no attention to them, will direct the mind to the Deathless Element."

And the Venerable Anuruddha later on gave up these three states of mind, paid no attention to them and directed his mind to the Deathless Element. And the Venerable Anuruddha, living then alone, secluded, heedful, ardent, with determined mind, before long reached in this very life, understanding and experiencing it by himself, that highest goal of the Holy Life, for the sake of which noble sons go forth entirely from home into homelessness. And he knew: "Exhausted is rebirth, lived is the holy life, the work is done, nothing further remains after this." Thus the Venerable Anuruddha became one of the Arahats.

Anuruddha acquired "divine vision" (dibba-cakkhu) and was ranked foremost(etadagga) among those who had the ability.

Note: Anuruddha was one of the five head disciples and a cousin of the Buddha.

Love Buddha's dhamma,
yawares/sirikanya :heart:
yawares

Re: Sariputta Advised Anurudha

Postby starter » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:14 pm

Hello yawares,

Thanks for posting such a nice story. I hope more such short, helpful stories can be posted for us to read when taking a short break.

Metta,

Starter
starter

Re: Sariputta Advised Anurudha

Postby yawares » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:50 am

starter wrote:Hello yawares,

Thanks for posting such a nice story. I hope more such short, helpful stories can be posted for us to read when taking a short break.

Metta,

Starter

Dear Starter,
Thank you very much for your comment.
yawares
yawares

Return to Dhammic Stories