Sariputta/Moggallana: The Great Teachers

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
yawares

Sariputta/Moggallana: The Great Teachers

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

This article will show you all... how great Sariputta thera and Moggallana Thera were to people around them..

Sariputta/Moggallana : The Great Teachers
[translated from the Pali texts by Nyanaponika Thera]

Sometimes Sariputta Thera would give material help and the help of the Dhamma together, as when he visited Samitigutta, who suffered from leprosy, in the infirmary. The Theragatha Commentary tells us that he said to Samitigutta: "Friend, so long as the aggregates (khandha) continue, all feeling is just suffering. Only when the aggregates are no more is there no more suffering." Having thus given him the contemplation of feelings as subject of meditation, Sariputta went away. Samitigutta, following the Elder's instruction, developed insight and realised the six supernormal powers (chalabhiñña) as an arahant.[22]

Again, when Anathapindika was lying on his deathbed, Sariputta visited him, accompanied by Ananda. Sariputta preached to the dying man on non-attachment, and Anathapindika was greatly moved by the profound discourse.[23]

Another sickbed sermon given by the Elder to Anathapindika is preserved in the Sotapatti-Samyutta (Vagga 3, Sutta 6). In this discourse, Anathapindika is reminded that those things which lead to rebirth in states of woe are no longer in him, but that he possesses the four basic qualities of stream-entry (sotapattiyanga) and the eight path factors: in considering this, his pains would subside. As the result, his pains did subside.

Once the Elder Channa was lying ill and in great pain. The Venerable Sariputta paid him a visit, in company with the Elder Maha Cunda. Seeing the sick monk's agonies, Sariputta at once offered to go in search of medicines and suitable food for him. But Channa told them he had decided to take his life, and after they had left he did so. Afterwards the Buddha explained that the Elder Channa's act was without demerit and blameless, since he had attained Arahatship while dying. This story is found in the Channovada Sutta (Majjh. 144).

It is said that whenever Sariputta gave advice, he showed infinite patience; he would admonish and instruct up to a hundred or a thousand times, until his pupil was established in the Fruition of stream-entry. Only then did he discharge him and give his advice to others. Very great was the number of those who, after receiving his instruction and following it faithfully, attained to Arahatship. In the Sacca-vibhanga Sutta (Majjh. 141) the Buddha says: "Sariputta is like a mother who brings forth, while Moggallana is like a nurse of that which has been brought forth. Sariputta trains to the Fruit of stream-entry, and Moggallana trains to the highest goal."

Explaining this passage, the Commentary says: "When Sariputta accepted pupils for training, whether they were ordained by him or by others, he favored them with his material and spiritual help, looked after them in sickness, gave them a subject of meditation and at last, when he knew that they had become stream-winners and had risen above the dangers of the lower worlds, he dismissed them in the confident knowledge that 'Now they can, by their own manly strength, produce the higher stages of Saintship.' Having thus become free from concern about their future, he instructed new groups of pupils. But Maha Moggallana, when training pupils in the same way, did not give up concern for them until they had attained Arahatship.

Love Buddha's dhamma,
yawares/sirikanya :heart:
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Sariputta/Moggallana: The Great Teachers

Post by DNS »

Thanks for another good Dhamma story. It seems some think Theravada is not that compassionate, but the works of Buddha, Sariputta, and Moggallana (in the Theravada Pali Canon and Commentaries) and others show otherwise. They didn't just sit in meditation remaining equanimous to everything going on; they did help whenever and wherever they could.
yawares

Post by yawares »

David N. Snyder wrote:Thanks for another good Dhamma story. It seems some think Theravada is not that compassionate, but the works of Buddha, Sariputta, and Moggallana (in the Theravada Pali Canon and Commentaries) and others show otherwise. They didn't just sit in meditation remaining equanimous to everything going on; they did help whenever and wherever they could.
Dear David,

You're mostly welcome! And I love your comment :heart: . I'm happy to know that Sariputta is your favorite just like Tep's.
I also love the big Buddha statue :candle: in your picture, look different from the ones I have ever seen. Is the temple in Vegas?

yawares
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

yawares wrote: I also love the big Buddha statue :candle: in your picture, look different from the ones I have ever seen. Is the temple in Vegas?
Hi yawares,

That is from Shambhala Mountain, Colorado, inside the Great Stupa there.
http://www.shambhalamountain.org/stupa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was under renovation when I was there and had that picture taken. You might see some finished pictures of the statue at the link.
yawares

Post by yawares »

David N. Snyder wrote:
yawares wrote: I also love the big Buddha statue :candle: in your picture, look different from the ones I have ever seen. Is the temple in Vegas?
Hi yawares,

That is from Shambhala Mountain, Colorado, inside the Great Stupa there.
http://www.shambhalamountain.org/stupa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was under renovation when I was there and had that picture taken. You might see some finished pictures of the statue at the link.
Dear David,

Thank you very much, the stupa is so beautiful :heart: ...wow Shambhala Mountain...sounds very exotic!

Love the stupa, :candle:
yawares