Anger-Eating Demons

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
Hanzze

Anger-Eating Demons

Post by Hanzze »

Anger-Eating Demons

Once there lived a demon who had a peculiar diet: he fed on the anger of others. And as his feeding ground was the human world, there was no lack of food for him. He found it quite easy to provoke a family quarrel, or national and racial hatred. Even to stir up a war was not very difficult for him. And whenever he succeeded in causing a war, he could properly gorge himself without much further effort; because once a war starts, hate multiplies by its own momentum and affects even normally friendly people. So the demon's food supply became so rich that he sometimes had to restrain himself from over-eating, being content with nibbling just a small piece of resentment found close-by. But as it often happens with successful people, he became rather overbearing and one day when feeling bored he thought: "Shouldn't I try it with the gods?" On reflection he chose the Heaven of the Thirty-three Deities, ruled by Sakka, Lord of Gods. He knew that only a few of these gods had entirely eliminated the fetters of ill-will and aversion, though they were far above petty and selfish quarrels. So by magic power he transferred himself to that heavenly realm and was lucky enough to come at a time when Sakka the Divine King was absent. There was none in the large audience hall and without much ado the demon seated himself on Sakka's empty throne, waiting quietly for things to happen, which he hoped would bring him a good feed. Soon some of the gods came to the hall and first they could hardly believe their own divine eyes when they saw that ugly demon sitting on the throne, squat and grinning. Having recovered from their shock, they started to shout and lament: "Oh you ugly demon, how can you dare to sit on the throne of our Lord? What utter cheekiness! What a crime! you should be thrown headlong into the hell and straight into a boiling cauldron! You should be quartered alive! Begone! Begone!"

But while the gods were growing more and more angry, the demon was quite pleased because from moment to moment he grew in size, in strength and in power. The anger he absorbed into his system started to ooze from his body as a smoky red-glowing mist. This evil aura kept the gods at a distance and their radiance was dimmed.

Suddenly a bright glow appeared at the other end of the hall and it grew into a dazzling light from which Sakka emerged, the King of Gods. He who had firmly entered the undeflectible Stream that leads Nibbana-wards, was unshaken by what he saw. The smoke-screen created by the gods' anger parted when he slowly and politely approached the usurper of his throne. "Welcome, friend! Please remain seated. I can take another chair. May I offer you the drink of hospitality? Our Amrita is not bad this year. Or do you prefer a stronger brew, the vedic Soma?"

While Sakka spoke these friendly words, the demon rapidly shrank to a diminutive size and finally disappeared, trailing behind a whiff of malodorous smoke which likewise soon dissolved.

The gist of this story dates back to the discourses of the Buddha. But even now, over 2500 years later, our world looks as if large hordes of Anger-eating Demons were haunting it and were kept well nourished by millions slaving for them all over the earth. Fires of hate and wide-traveling waves of violence threaten to engulf mankind. Also the grass roots of society are poisoned by conflict and discord, manifesting in angry thoughts and words and in violent deeds. Is it not time to end this self-destructive slavery of man to his impulses of hate and aggression which only serve the demoniac forces? Our story tells how these demons of hate can be exorcised by the power of gentleness and love. If this power of love can be tested and proven, at grass-root level, in the widely spread net of personal relationships, society at large, the world at large, will not remain unaffected by it.

Retold from an ancient Buddhist Story by Nyanaponika Thera
Here maybe also a talk with the same title:

Would the story hold for greed - eating as well as delusion - eating Demons as well?
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
DAWN

Re: Anger-Eating Demons

Post by DAWN »

Love is the mouvement of unification. Love is gravitation.
Fear is the mouvement of division. Fear is antigravitation.

Our eyes see only the light that is the result of gravitation.
Our eyes cant see antimater cause it's dont make any light, the mater of fear is transparent for us.

Our body and mental is fed by love. It's our nature
Body of 'anti-livingbeings' (demons?) is fed by fear. It's their nature.

So by make us fear, they exist. It's natural for a living being to want to exist. So we must have some compation for them, it will destroy their rupa, it's will not support their reak-making-action, and perharps their will rebord on other side, light side.

PS if its heretical, take it's like a fruit of imagination.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Oh yes, I forgot the most dangerous love-eating Demons. A real challange but just give them no huge.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

SN 20.3
Families

I heard thus. At one time the Blessed One was living in the monastery offered by Anàthapiõóika in Jeta's grove in Sàvatthi.
Monks, families which have many women and few men are easily attacked by robbers and by others who steal.
In the same manner monks if the monk has not developed and made much, the release of mind in loving kindness he is easily attacked by non-humans.
Monks, families that have many men and few women are difficult to be attacked by robbers and by others who steal.
In the same manner monks, the monk who has developed and made much, the release of mind in loving kindness is difficult to be attacked by non-humans.

Therefore, monks, you should train, `our release of mind in loving kindness should be developed, made much, made a habit, thoroughly practiced, should be looked after and thoroughly undertaken.'

Monks, you should train in this manner

SN 20.5
Satti Sutta: The Spear

I heard thus. At one time the Blessed One was living in the monastery offered by Anàthapiõóika in Jeta's grove in Sàvatthi.
Monks, a man accosted with a sharp sword says `I will avoid this sharp sword, bend it and turn it aside with my hand or fist.'
Monks, could that man avoid the sharp sword, bend it and turn it aside with his hand or fist?û
Venerable sir, it would not be possible.û
What is the reason?û
Venerable sir, it is not possible for that man to avoid, bend or turn aside the sharp sword with his hand or fist. He will be fatigued and fall into trouble.û
In the same manner, monks, if non-humans think to derange the mind of the monk who has developed and made much, the release of mind in loving kindness, they will be fatigued and fall into trouble.

Therefore, monks, you should train, `our release of mind in loving kindness should be developed, made much, made a habit, thoroughly practised, should be looked after and thoroughly undertaken.'
Monks, you should train in this manner

http://www.metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pit ... ggo-e.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english