Dhammavadaka

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
DNS
Site Admin

Dhammavadaka

Post by DNS »

Bhante Dhammika of Buddha Dhamma Mandala Society, Singapore, wrote a poem back in 1986 which has become pretty famous. Many around the internet have quoted it and some have mis-attributed it as being the "Dhammavadaka Sutra" :) Here is the poem:
Remember always that you are just a visitor here, a traveller passing through. Your stay here is but short and the moment of your departure unknown.

None can live without toil and a craft that provides your needs is a blessing indeed. But if you toil without rest, fatigue and weariness will overtake you and you will be denied the joy that comes from labour’s end.

Speak quietly and kindly and be not forward with either opinions or advice. If you talk much this will make you deaf to what others say, and you should know that there are few so wise that they cannot learn from others.

Be near when help is needed but far when praise and thanks are being offered. Take small account of might, wealth and fame for they soon pass and are forgotten. Instead, nurture love within you and strive to be a friend to all. Truly, compassion is a balm for many wounds. Treasure silence when you find it and while being mindful of your duties set time aside to be alone with yourself. Cast off pretence and self-deception and see yourself as you really are.

Despite all appearances, no one is really evil. They are led astray by ignorance. If you ponder this truth often you will offer more light rather that blame and condemnation.

You, no less all beings, have Buddha Nature within. Your essential mind is pure. Therefore, when defilements cause you to stumble and fall, let not remorse nor dark foreboding cast you down. Be of good cheer and with this understanding summons strength and walk on.

Faith is like a lamp and wisdom it is that makes the light burn bright. Carry this light always and in good time the darkness will yield and you will abide in the light.
http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?title=Dhammavadaka" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pilgrim

Re: Dhammavadaka

Post by pilgrim »

Compare with "Desiderata" by American writer Max Ehrmann (1872–1945)

Go placidly amidst the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its shams, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy
yawares

Post by yawares »

Buddha's verses:

Manopubbangama dhamma
manosettha manomaya
manasa ce padutthena
bhasati va karoti va
tato nam dukkhamanveti
cakkamva vahato padam.

All mental phenomena have mind as their forerunner; they have mind as their chief; they are mind-made. If one speaks or acts with an evil mind, 'dukkha'*follows him just as the wheel follows the hoof-print of the ox that draws the cart. :anjali:
-------------
Manopubbangama dhamma
manosettha manomaya
manasa ce pasannena
bhasati va karoti va
tato nam sukha manveti
chayava anapayini.

All mental phenomena have mind as their forerunner; they have mind as their chief; they are mind-made. If one speaks or acts with a pure mind, happiness (sukha)** follows him like a shadow that never leaves him. :anjali:

--------------------
This was the poem I learned in junior high :heart:
Row, row, row your boat,
gently down the stream,
until you hit the waterfall—
then you’ll start to scream.

Row, row, row your boat,
Gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream.
:thinking:

yawares :heart:
Last edited by yawares on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tidathep

Post by tidathep »

Hi you all,

Verse 54: The scent of flowers cannot go against the wind; nor the scent of sandalwood, nor of rhododendron (tagara), nor of jasmin (mallika)2; only the reputation of good people can go against the wind. The reputation of the virtuous ones (sappurisa) is wafted abroad in all directions.

Verse 55: There are the scents of sandalwood, rhododendron, lotus and jasmin (vassika)3; but the scent of virtue surpasses all scents.

Verse 56: The scents of rhododendron and of sandal wood are very faint; but the scent (reputation) of the virtuous is the strongest; it spreads even to the abodes of the deva.

I'm a new member :smile:
Tidathep
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

Having something of yours mistaken for Buddhavacana must be the ultimate compliment.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
tidathep

Post by tidathep »

Hi,

I love Buddha's verses, my mother always emails me almost everyday.

Verse 7: He who keeps his mind on pleasant objects, who is uncontrolled in his senses, immoderate in his food, and is lazy and lacking in energy, will certainly be overwhelmed by Mara,3 just as stormy winds uproot a weak tree.

Verse 8: He who keeps his mind on the impurities (of the body), who is well-controlled in his senses and is full of faith and energy, will certainly be not overwhelmed by Mara, just as stormy winds cannot shake a mountain of rock.

Tidathep
yawares

Post by yawares »

[Buddha's Udana by Thanissaro Bhikkhu]

I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying near Sāvatthī at Jeta's Grove, Anāthapiṇḍika's monastery. And on that occasion Ven. Sāriputta, Ven. Mahā Moggalāna, Ven. Mahā Kassapa, Ven. Mahā Kaccāyana, Ven. Mahā Koṭṭhita, Ven. Mahā Kappina, Ven. Mahā Cunda, Ven. Anuruddha, Ven. Revata, and Ven. Nanda[1] went to the Blessed One. The Blessed One saw them coming from afar and, on seeing them, addressed the monks, "Monks, those are brahmans who are coming. Monks, those are brahmans who are coming."

When this was said, a certain monk who was a brahman by birth said to the Blessed One, "To what extent, lord, is one a brahman? And which are the qualities that make one a brahman?"

Then, on realizing the significance of that, the Blessed One on that occasion exclaimed:

Having banished evil qualities,[2]
those who go about ever mindful,
awakened, their fetters ended:
They, in the world,
are truly brahmans.

-------------
yawares :anjali:
Last edited by yawares on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tidathep

Post by tidathep »

Hi you all,

Verse 9: He who is not free from taints of moral defilements (kilesas) and yet dons the yellow robe, who lacks restraint in his senses and (speaks not the) truth is unworthy of the yellow robe.

Verse 10: He who has discarded all moral defilements (kilesas), who is established in moral precepts, is endowed with restraint and (speaks the) truth is, indeed, worthy of the yellow robe.

Tidathep :anjali:
yawares

Post by yawares »

Verse 3. He abused me, he ill-treated me, he got the better of me, he stole my belongings;"... the enmity of those harbouring such thoughts cannot be appeased.

Verse 4. He abused me, he ill-treated me, he got the better of me, he stole my belongings;"... the enmity of those not harbouring such thoughts can be appeased.

Verse 5. Hatred is, indeed, never appeased by hatred in this world. It is appeased only by loving-kindness. This is an ancient Law.

Verse 6. People, other than the wise, do not realize, "We in this world must all die," (and not realizing it continue their quarrels). The wise realize it and thereby their quarrels cease.
yawares

Post by yawares »

Buddha's Lists:

List no. 255
The Five Benefits of Walking Meditation:
1. Stamina for long journeys
2. Stamina for meditation practice
3. Good health
4. Assistance in digestion
5. Durable concentration
I still post DAVID's BOOK @ sariputtadhamma/JTN...and will do till its end.
Last edited by yawares on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tidathep

Post by tidathep »

Thag 4.8. Rahula-theragatha (uttered by Venerable Rahula)

"In both ways consummate, I'm known as Rahula the Fortunate:
Because I'm the son of the Buddha, because I've the eye that sees Dhammas."

"Because my fermentations are ended, because I've no further becoming.
I'm deserving of offerings, a worthy one a three-knowledge man, with
sight of the Deathless."

"Those blinded by sensuality covered by the net, veiled by the veil of craving,
bound by the Kinsman of the heedless, are like fish in the mouth of a trap."

"Throwing that sensuality aside, cutting through Mara's bond,
pulling out craving, root and all, cooled am I, Unbound."

:anjali:
yawares

Post by yawares »

:candle: Buddha's List no. 297 :candle:
Five rewards of listening to the Dhamma:
1. One hears what one has not heard before
2. One clarifies what one has heard before
3. One gets rid of doubt
4. One‘s views are made straight
5. One‘s mind grows serene
(from Anguttara Nikaya 5.38)

tidathep

Post by tidathep »

Buddha's Verses:

Verse 11: They take untruth for truth; they take truth for untruth; such persons can never arrive at the truth, for they hold wrong views.

Verse 12: They take truth for truth; they take untruth for untruth; such persons arrive at the truth, for they hold right views.

Verse 13: Just as rain penetrates a badly-roofed house, so also, passion (raga) penetrates a mind not cultivated in Tranquillity and Insight Development (Samatha and Vipassana).

Verse 14: Just as rain cannot penetrate a well-roofed house, so also, passion (raga) cannot penetrate a mind well-cultivated in Tranquillity and Insight Development (Samatha and Vipassana).

yawares

Post by yawares »

List no. 369
Six qualities that make one incapable of hearing and practicing the Dhamma:
1. He is endowed with a [present] kamma obstruction
2. A defilement obstruction
3. A result-of-[past]-kamma obstruction
4. He lacks conviction
5. He has no desire [to listen]
6. He has dull discernment
-------
Buddha's verses:
15. Here he grieves, hereafter he grieves; the evil-doer grieves in both existences. He grieves and he suffers anguish when he sees the depravity of his own deeds.

16. Here he rejoices, hereafter he rejoices; one who performs meritorious deeds rejoices in both existences. He rejoices and greatly rejoices when he sees the purity of his own deeds.

tidathep

Post by tidathep »

Thera Nagasena:

"Even though the Blessed One has now passed away
and cannot be said to accept gifts and honours paid to him
yet deeds done in his name are of value and bear great fruit.
As a great and mighty wind that blew, even so the Blessed
One has blown over the world with his love, so soothing, so
gentle and so pure. Like men tormented by heat and fever
are soothed by a cool wind, so, too, beings tormented by the
heat of desire, hatred and delusion are pacified by the sublime
teaching of the Blessed One. Although, great king, the
Blessed One has entirely passed away, he has left behind
his doctrine, his discipline and his precious relics whose
value derives from his virtue, concentration, wisdom and
freedom. Beings afflicted by the sorrows of becoming can
still receive the benefits of these things, as those who have
fans can still make a breeze although the wind has subsided.
This was foreseen by the Blessed One when he said, `It
may be, ânanda, that some of you may think, "The word of
the master is ended; we have no teacher any more", but you
should not regard it so. The Dhamma that has been
preached by me and the rules that I have laid down, let
them be your teachers when I am gone'."[58. D. ii. 154.]