'Yogis of Tibet' - very interesting documentary

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
manas

'Yogis of Tibet' - very interesting documentary

Post by manas »

Hello all

I came across this fascinating video on youtube. Some very inspiring monks / yogis interviewed herein, even just as human beings they are warm, engaging, and with a sense of humour, yet also very calm and wise.

It takes a little while to get to the 'good stuff', the interviews with various yogis; but being youtube I guess those who wish, could scroll ahead. But it's worth watching the whole lot, one gets a bit of a background to the Tibetan culture.

Peace :anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
yawares

Re: 'Yogis of Tibet' - very interesting documentary

Post by yawares »

Dear manas,

Very educational...much different from Thai forest monks .

yawares :thinking:
manas

Re: 'Yogis of Tibet' - very interesting documentary

Post by manas »

yawares wrote:Dear manas,

Very educational...much different from Thai forest monks .

yawares :thinking:
The outward form of their practices is quite different, I agree. But there is a kind of abiding peace, calm, wisdom and serene joy in many of those Tibetan monks, that I have also seen in 'our own' Theravadan monks. I also see that, they both have in common an emphasis on the purification and training of mind as being paramount.

I'm certainly not recommending anyone switches over to those practices by posting this! It was essentially for it's inspiration value. In terms of actual practice, I still recommend digging deeply into the original pali sutta nikayas for guidance. Having said that, as far as I know, Tibetan Buddhists do actually accept the pali tipitaka as well, if I'm not mistaken? Sure they have also added a few things, but at the core of their teachings still lie the Four Noble Truths, I thought.

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.